How Do I Arrange Songs

Posts 1 - 14 of 14
  1. 2521144
    kwirko : Sun 25th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago Hello,

I am currently working on a new song, I am very new to music production and I need someone to explain to me how to arrange songs, like for e.g. where to place the chorus, verse, etc.
    and also how are they supposed to sound different from each other.

can someone help?
    Thank you.
  2. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago Hi Kwirko. This is an excellent question. There are many ways to section your songs. For sake of convenience, let's not use the words "chorus" "verse" right now. Let's call your sections A, B, C and D.

One type of song is the AAA. You simply play the verse over and over again, and that's your song. Many folk songs do this, both old-fashioned folk, and modern folk, and folk-rock. Bob Dylan is famous for this form. Often the last line of each "A" section will have a "refrain", which is a line that repeats at the end of each A section.

Another type of song would be the AABA form. This would be, Verse-Verse-Bridge-Verse. This is a very standard form for popular songwriting and it's very effective.

Then you could have an ABAB song, which could be thought of as Verse--Chorus--Verse---Chorus song. Very fun, enjoyable, singalong type of song form.
  3. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago To get more sophisticated, as you work out your whole song, you might have something like: ABABCB. Which would be something like: Verse--Chorus--Verse--Chorus---Bridge--Chorus. This a very standard, highly used pop song form... used throughout the rock era, and it still works.

Now, add an intro to this same form, and add an outro or "coda". Thus you'd have something like: ABCBCDBA.

You can structure your song any way you like, but remember, the good songwriter is always thinking about MEMORABILITY. Your listener needs to hear your song once... and already he's got your melodic, rhythmic and lyrical ideas somewhat memorized... or at least part of it must stick in his head after your song is over.

One thing I would like to hear more of from young composers is teh idea of....change. Listeners get hella bored iof you just put on one loop and play it opver and over again. There's gotta be some change happening, because change is interesting. Sameness is boring. Literally, every ten seconds of your song, SOMETHING'S gotta change. The melody;'s gotta change... the harmony's gotta change... the lyric's gotta change. The trick here is to make that change clever, amusing, interesting. You want your listener, every ten seconds or so, to say, "Wow! I didn't see THAT coming! But it's really cool, so I'll stick with it and see what else he's got."

There are a number of good books written on structuring your song form. One excellent book was written in the 1980's... and every idea within that book is still true today... Don't let anybody tell that, "Oh, no, music has changed, and you don't have to follow the rules of good songwriting anymore." Bullshit! Even if you're doing death metal or deep house or rap or rock or country or Psy-trance. The basic rules are still the same. That's because a song is gonna go by you for about 3--8 minutes. And your job is to keep your listener listening... or your dancers dancing... for the whole duration without getting bored. And listeners get bored earlier than you think.
  4. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago I want you to tattoo this saying on your forehead: MY LISTENERS ARE GONNA GET BORED WITH MY SONG EARLIER THAN I THINK. BORED AS FUCK, AS A MATTER-OF-FACT.

That's why frequent change-ups are necessary. Truly, like every ten seconds of sound, something's gotta change.

Don't just put on one of these Looperman loops into your DAW... and let the fucker play over and over and over for many minutes. Change it up.

That book I mentioned is called THE CRAFT OF LYRIC WRITING by Sheila Davis. It's not only about lyric-writing, it's about song structure. Also the Berklee Press has a number of excellent books on song form and songwriting.

Good luck!
  5. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago Somehow my post has had some of its characters come out as gibberish. That's is so fucked-up, and I don't why it's happening.
  6. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago Now I see that it has printed each of my apostrophes... as some kind of HTML stuff.
  7. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago This forum does not allow us to EDIT or DELETE a post, so I guess we're kinda screwed here.
  8. 630386
    Unknown User : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago @ras
    The HTML corruption problem typically happens when you copy and paste or cut and paste from external apps or third-party software programs when your document has apostrophes and quotation marks. It also sometimes occurs when you simply just type apostrophes and quotation marks into the forum message box.

Change how you write words on this forum:

Write Cant the word fully = Cannot
    To write Dont = Do not
    To write Weve = We have
    Joes = to show possession an apostrophe typically is placed after the e and before the s. You will have to write it incorrectly as = Joes here, despite wanting to show possession in the sentence.

The best thing to do when this happens is nothing. Just contact Looperman for a forum correction. But also remember never to copy and paste or cut and paste into this forum.
  9. 293573
    Spudsy : Mon 26th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago Uncomplex version.

Copy another songs arraignment in the same genre that you like or want to sound like.

Keep doing that until you get your own style, will take a couple of years whatever way you do it but this is the easiest way to get started.
  10. 2521144
    kwirko : Tue 20th Mar 2018 : 6 months ago Thank you, everyone, sorry for late reply, but you guys helped me out a lot :)
  11. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 20th Mar 2018 : 6 months ago Let the song arrange you.
  12. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Wed 28th Mar 2018 : 5 months ago I agree with Spivkurl 100%!!

Music has its own way of arranging its movement with very little human interference....the flow of music decides when its time to change from a verse to chorus or bridge section.

In saying that.... here's a little breakdown of what i would do to create a radio edit song and keep it within the 3-4minutes duration which is ideal for radio broadcast stations;

Intro
    Chorus
    Verse
    Chorus
    Verse (Optional)
    @ 2minutes - Bridge section (variation breakdown of music)
    Chorus
    Chorus
    Outro - or Cold Cut

Keep to that formula when creating music and you'll soon see how hard it is to fit it all into a small 3-4minute radio ready song....

Or....just let the music take control and you will know when its time to change it up...if it becomes too much of the same...then simply switch from verse - chorus or chorus to instrument solo parts....best of luck

DJ-SLT-UK
  13. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Wed 28th Mar 2018 : 5 months ago In regards to changing up the music every 10 seconds....blah!!

It depends what type of music you are creating....

I make dance music across many genre's, and its not about changing it up every 10 seconds otherwise the punters will leave the dancefloor and they wont get hot and thirsty so the bar wont get sales and less DJ's/Producers will get live performance bookings....its about layering additional buildup melodies too a bridge section of a song and then you drop in a pause for air moment....then wind it up (rise) the song into a climatic ending or if you are like me, then you already know what your next song is in the mix because you made it to fit in that mix.

If you are doing commercial BS radio music, then yes change is important as the world is dumbing down with much less attention span...bit like a Goldfish seeing a new rock every 5 seconds in a fish bowl!!!

If you are doing dance music... just create layers of melodies that match (harmonize) and then repetition isnt important.
  14. 2159630
    rmce : Fri 30th Mar 2018 : 5 months ago check out youtube for this
Posts 1 - 14 of 14

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track