From Demo To Master - FREE 8 Part Mixing And Production Course By Waves

My Instructional Poster On The 4 Qualities Of Sound

Posts 1 - 4 of 4
  1. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sat 9th Dec 2017 : 1 year ago

Hi everybody,

I came across this poster which I had designed 20 years ago for my high school class.

http://scontent.frnd2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/254259_10150207979617972_2167258_n.jpg?oh=525ed806cd901e34fe16dd31aecd4e63&oe=5AC8EDD8

It is designed to explain the four qualities our ears can perceive. The usefulness here at LOOPERMAN is this:

EVERY TIME YOU MAKE ANY CHANGES WITHIN YOUR DAW OR WITHIN A SOFTSYNTH, YOU ARE INVARIABLY CHANGING ONE OR MORE OF THESE FOUR QUALITIES.

This is stuff I had to be in my 30s to understand... I wish someone would've showed me this information much earlier in my life.

Is this useful to those of us making loops?

ras

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 9th Dec 2017 : 1 year ago

Awesome contribution to the knowledge base Rasputin1963! I'm sure it will help some people around here, even if they don't respond.

I guess that in performance or recording of sound, there are aspects that go beyond these "sensual" aspects. There are intangible elements that come into play with live moments, such as intent, emotion, and mistakes. Similar things come into play when the listener receives that moment. Sure, they could all be categorized in these four qualities, but it may be insufficient to describe the experience for player or listener. This is not meant in any way to detriment your work, but only to build upon it, as artists often do!

Great work!

3. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sat 9th Dec 2017 : 1 year ago

Thank you, Spivkurl!

What music means or how it feels is a whole 'nother subject. :-) Psychoacoustics.

But these four basic criteria are kind of "hiding in plain sight", and are the perceptions that occur even before any meaning or feeling is attached to the music. Like I said, it's stuff that I wish I had known when I was a teen.

4. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 9th Dec 2017 : 1 year ago

That's pretty cool!.....more importantly it's all of the basic building blocks of sound production that every music producer needs to know, the great thing about ears is their connected to the best DAW ever made (oops sorry, ever evolved) the human brain!...and more into the realms of Psychoanalysis rather than Psychoacoustics. ;)

Posts 1 - 4 of 4

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Latest Blog Comments
Featured Hip Hop Track