Cadence Start With Tonic Or Dominant Chord

Posts 1 - 2 of 2
  1. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 3rd Dec 2017 : 1 month ago My understanding is that you typically start a loop with the I (tonic) chord. But when I learned about cadence it suggested that you start with the V (dominant) chord, and end by returning to the I chord. So the way I'm making sense of this is that you would start a loop with the I (tonic) chord, move to a V (dominant) chord somewhere in the middle of loop and then when you hit the beginning of the loop again that is where you get resolution because you have in a sense returned to the I chord. Is this correct? Where should the V chord go? In the middle of the loop or at the end so it is just before the return of the I chord when the loop starts over?
  2. 2044749
    DreadWolff : Sun 3rd Dec 2017 : 1 month ago What kind of cadence are you trying to write? The one you outlined is a Perfect/Authentic Cadence and that's a good one to go with. There are others, though. Namely, they're the Plagal Cadence (aka the "amen" cadence), Half/Imperfect Cadence, and the Deceptive Cadence. These all have different feels and move the music along differently, but they all have the resolution to I at the end. All of them, excluding the Deceptive Cadence, with either V or I. Not to mention that the length of your loop may change which cadences you use (i.e. an 8 measure loop has a Half Cadence at Measure 4 and an Authentic Cadence at Measure 8).
Posts 1 - 2 of 2

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Chill Out Track