How To Create Intensely Painful Yearning Music

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 18th Nov 2017 : 4 weeks ago I'm trying to create music that expresses an intensely painful yearning... the kind so intense it rips at the fabric of space and time. But I have no idea of how to do this. Are there certain keys, instruments, articulations, effects that can convey this feeling strongly? Or maybe you can point me to examples of music or loops that convey this...
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 18th Nov 2017 : 4 weeks ago Do you have experiences from which to draw inspiration? Have you written some lyrics? It should all flow from there.
  3. 1041668
    wikkid : Sat 18th Nov 2017 : 4 weeks ago Ditto to what Spivkurl said. To quote a lyric from Beauty and the Beast "Tale as old as time . . ."
    You're asking a question that many artists have, especially songwriters. I came to Looperman to get my mojo back. I've found the type of music I need to write for the genres I love.

There's no real formula, though some people will tell you there is. The public decides when a creation "strikes a chord" with them (pun intended).

Just keep creating music. Broaden your musical tastes, and remember that its not just the background music, but the lyrics and melodies that compliment the instruments which must come together.

I've got a soft spot for sweet, melodic violins and Stax/Chess songs of love and loss (At Last -Etta James).
    But I aslo spend an eternity writing lyrics that fit.
    Just like audio is essential in a movie, good lyrics can't be overlooked, since they can be the difference maker.
    I wish you all the best with this.
  4. 1898337
    biz84 : Sat 18th Nov 2017 : 4 weeks ago As has been mentioned by the replies so far, choice of lyrics will play a big part, and what works will be largely subjective.

From a musical standpoint, develop a good understanding of intervals, triads, and CADENCE - the tension and resolution of changing harmony.

As a concrete example, if you're in C major, you could create a loop which moves from the VIminor chord (A minor), to the IV chord (F major), and continue like this for a while. This will create push-and-pull tension but will never really resolve, so there you have some longing. The listener will 'long' for the resolution that never comes...

Change it up with some extensions, for example add the major 9th interval (B) to the A minor - to me it sounds like despair. :p

Now, if you want to break that longing feeling, perhaps for a chorus or bridge that has a different feel, resolving to the V chord (Gmaj) or the I chord (Cmaj) will provide the resolution, to me it literally feels like exhaling after holding your breath for too long.

So there is one very basic idea of how to use cadence. But there are literally thousands of combinations possible with just 12 notes.

Play with ideas like this, in every key, with every extension, with all the weird progressions and cadences you can think of, and you will stumble upon the sounds you like, and from there, you can begin to craft your own signature sound, and skillfully manipulate the listener's emotions ;)
  5. 1975755
    sqrtofneg1 : Sat 18th Nov 2017 : 4 weeks ago I would look into whatever instruments seem very emotional to you. Personally, strings, as well as keyboard are emotional in my opinion. As for the music theory, I'd look into a lot of suspension chords, and diminished / half diminished chords.

Overall though, it's more about the listener, as different people perceive things differently.
  6. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 2nd Dec 2017 : 2 weeks ago Thanks to everyone for the incredible insights on this. It's all stuff I wouldn't have thought of, and I think all of it plays a part even though the advice runs the gamit. I will continue to digest this and figure out how to make it happen.
  7. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Sat 2nd Dec 2017 : 2 weeks ago I know its probably not a prerequisite but I agree with Spivcurl regarding the importance of experience to draw inspiration from. Music taps into our moods and feelings, its extremely emotional. As the artist or musician you have to be able to convey these emotions. I think if you yourself have experienced such emotions first hand it does help. I typically never had an interest to create this type of music until going through some difficult times a few years ago when I lost a few friends and relatives in a short time span. For several months in a row I was going to funerals and witnessing immense amounts of suffering and sadness. One night I sat down with the guitar to play some music, pretty much to escape from reality for a while and unintentionally began playing some stuff that reflected my mood. So I ended up recording a short track that I eventually posted. You can check it out here:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/168683

You will see that its very much different from anything else I do. I don't know what your motivation is for wanting to make this type of track, maybe you are in such a mood or do have some deeply emotional personal experiences that you want to reflect on. Irrespective, my point is, I don't feel you need to go searching for as you put it "certain keys, instruments, articulations, effects etc. that can convey this feeling strongly". That has to come from you. Having said that, you certainly can go searching for inspiration, which is my suggestion to you. Search out and listen to various songs of this nature and get a feel for the melodies and instruments that interest you and take it from there. But putting yourself in the right mood to create such music is an important part of the process. This can also be induced if need be. Watch some movies, read, listen to music etc. that is emotionally appropriate. Then take it from there, Good luck.
  8. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Sat 2nd Dec 2017 : 2 weeks ago I know its probably not a prerequisite but I agree with Spivcurl regarding the importance of experience to draw inspiration from. Music taps into our moods and feelings, its extremely emotional. As the artist or musician you have to be able to convey these emotions. I think if you yourself have experienced such emotions first hand it does help. I typically never had an interest to create this type of music until going through some difficult times a few years ago when I lost a few friends and relatives in a short time span. For several months in a row I was going to funerals and witnessing immense amounts of suffering and sadness. One night I sat down with the guitar to play some music, pretty much to escape from reality for a while and unintentionally began playing some stuff that reflected my mood. So I ended up recording a short track that I eventually posted. You can check it out here:

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/168683

You will see that its very much different from anything else I do. I don't know what your motivation is for wanting to make this type of track, maybe you are in such a mood or do have some deeply emotional personal experiences that you want to reflect on. Irrespective, my point is, I don't feel you need to go searching for as you put it "certain keys, instruments, articulations, effects etc. that can convey this feeling strongly". That has to come from you. Having said that, you certainly can go searching for inspiration, which is my suggestion to you. Search out and listen to various songs of this nature and get a feel for the melodies and instruments that interest you and take it from there. But putting yourself in the right mood to create such music is an important part of the process. This can also be induced if need be. Watch some movies, read, listen to music etc. that is emotionally appropriate. Then see what happens. Good luck.
  9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 2nd Dec 2017 : 2 weeks ago I found it strange to be associated with a pre-requisite, but I do agree with Neomorpheus.

I try not to think often on the loss of what was dearly important to me,,, yet my true family is few and scattered. Most of them are long gone and forgotten.

Think of who or what is important to you (not necessarily a human), and draw upon this importance. In recent years, I have found, I see what is important to me as visions. I am expected to defy other things in response to these visions, no matter how hard it is.

All of life has a lesson, and a lesson learned makes for a great song, in my opinion.
Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track