Is This Acceptable

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 2407302
    ThatGirlKVR : Tue 14th Nov 2017 : 1 week ago I wrote a song to an instrumental by Buddy Guy... I have never been paid for it, and don't ever expect to, but would like to share it just for S&G's... is that ok?
  2. 1041668
    wikkid : Tue 14th Nov 2017 : 1 week ago Hello ThatGirlKVR,

The short answer is no.
    The long answer is still no, because his songs have copyrights on them by his music label. Not to mention his family may also be protective of his music, so you risk their wrath (and a lawsuit). Don't take the chance. There are enough royalty free samples on Looperman to come up with a good instrumental.

Some might tell you its still okay, as many continue to use music they know has a copyright (even to take samples from). But its also against the terms of many websites, including Looperman.

If the music is that important, then get permission.

Also, imagine how you'd feel if someone decided to use one of your creations without your permission. I can tell you from experience, it hurts. I wish you all the best with this.
  3. 1041668
    wikkid : Tue 14th Nov 2017 : 1 week ago I meant to add, that if its your songwriting ability and voice you want to highlight, then try not to use music from a well known, beloved artist. Buddy is a legend.

You want listeners to hear and appreciate you and your creativity. Perhaps someone on Looperman will offer to assist with the music for your song (put a copyright on it first, before you send it out to anyone). You can do a group copyright for $55 in the USA, so more than one song can be submitted digitally (online, usually mp3's).

A US copyright is recognized by most countries worldwide. In addition, ASCAP and BMI are good organizations to join (pick one) for songwriters.
Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track