Recommend Software For Recording My Voice

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 2192319
    BlackMansta10 : Sun 5th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Anybody know any good software I can use for recording my voice? I'm trying to make a producer tag and so far, FL's recording isn't as good as I hoped. :/
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 5th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Most likely, the limiting factor in quality is not FL studio, bet some other link in the chain. Examples would be audio interface and it's driver, your microphone, or your gain staging. Secondary possibilities could be a bad microphone cable, RF interference, background noise, or you could have run into the issue some people are having with drop outs in recording (which hasn't been addressed in FL 12.5.1, but I haven't tried 12.9 yet).

If you explain what you are using to record, and your methods, then we may be able to help out.
  3. 1564425
    rasputin1963 : Sun 5th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Spivkurl has put it exactly. Everything will boil down to the mic you're using... and your (computer) soundcard's ability to record. These two are areas in which you really will "get what you pay for". Beyoncé or Peabo would sound lacklustre if recorded with a cheap Shure microphone and a run-of-the-mill soundcard (included with most computers, default) that cannot record at higher than 16-bit/44.1Khz

Spend some money on these two pieces of hardware, and your vocal recordings will improve dramatically. Of course, much depends also on the room in which you are recording, and its sound treatment... but that's a whole 'nother thang.

Once you have a recording, there are in-the-box tricks you can use to greatly enhance it, such as a Compressor, a De-Noiser, De-Reverb and a BBE Maximizer, for example. (And Autotune, if you know what you're doing) But the *basic* quality you're getting will greatly depend upon the two pieces of hardware I've listed, above.
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 5th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago In my time, I have put to quality use a very vintage Shure microphone, yet the last few times I tried to use it the results were not satisfying. This is not surprising due to the mic being around forty years old. I'm sure if it got to the top of my electronic lab to-do list, that I could return it to it's former glory.

I won't claim that any microphone that I use is "high end," but I will claim that they need to be decent to begin with to get a good recording.

Processing is a completely separate thing, and unless I am specifically seeking a low fidelity sound, then I will wait to do any processing until I get a recording I am happy with. There are, of course, some exceptions to my personal rule on occasion. Usually these exceptions are forced upon me due to computer/software related problems which crop up. If the performance was "gold," but the system made it lackluster, then sometimes I find it worth keeping in the song.

Performance is often far more important than anything else, when it comes to vocals. This includes every aspect including microphone etiquette. Even if the recording is spectacular technically, it does not mean that the vocalist's job is complete. New takes can become necessary to achieve the vision of the lyrics.

What I'm trying to say, is that most microphones have their place, as long as the performance and the recording system and methods down the line are adequate.

A good example is my favorite album from REM, called "Monster." On this album, Michael Stipe admitted to using a different microphone on every single track of the album. Even considering this, all of the vocal tracks are deeply awesome.
  5. 2192319
    BlackMansta10 : Mon 6th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Right now, I just have a $50 gaming headset. I planned on getting a mic (still do), like a yeti or a something.
  6. 1041668
    wikkid : Mon 6th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Hello BlackMansta10,

Based on what you've stated, perhaps creating a thread asking for submissions, like maybe making it a contest for the best producer tag using either your voice (know anyone with a digital camera? Especially one with a mike in port? If you are in school, see if the AV dept will tape your voice and then create a quick MP3 for you) or let the Loopers here do a tag of their choosing.

There are some very talented artists on Looperman. This way you can pick the one you want. Offer a free customized beat in return, a beat that will always be theirs and no one else.

I wish you all the best with this.
  7. 2192319
    BlackMansta10 : Mon 6th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Nah, it's a hustle out here. XD But thanks for the suggestion! It's not that much of importance, it would just be nice to have one.
  8. 2147106
    TxcGren : Tue 7th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago I recommend you do what Wikkid suggested. It would be a great idea, plus YOU benefit from it. I would love to make a producer tag for you and practically all it takes is you saying your name in whatever way. I made my own using an old sample of me saying 'Toxic' and now its in merely every one of my tracks. Btw bro I love your drums, you gotta teach me your ways...
Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Dance Track