How To Create My Own Unique Style

Posts 1 - 11 of 11
  1. 2024919
    esygno : Wed 1st Nov 2017 : 8 months ago How can i come up with unique style of music as a producer.
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 1st Nov 2017 : 8 months ago I've got a few points of advice, coming from someone who has been told they have a signature sound (me).

- Design or record your own sounds. Don't limit yourself to presets, loops, or pre-existing samples.

- Use any sort of instrument you can get your hands on, even if it is not technically an instrument. Anything that makes sound.

- Don't use "reference tracks." Lots of people will tell you to do this, but it only serves to make your sound more like someone else's sound. Do what sounds good to you, in relation to what you are composing.

- Do not skimp on quality unless it is fully intended. Don't use mp3's in your music unless it is a last resort.

- Don't just "produce." Be a songwriter and/or composer.

- Experiment with different modes of composition, new scales, new chords, different time signatures, different tempos, new arrangements.

- If all else fails, start building your own instruments. No one else will be able to make the sounds that you can.

And one final point - Your post is a question, so use a question mark! HA HA
  3. 1231236
    joecramer : Wed 1st Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Maybe i am wrong but i believe that it is all in you.
    If you make/produce music and you have the feeling that it should be different from what you have done, then change it and make it different. If you think it sounds like XXX change it and make it different. Try to be yourself.
    Ok it sounds stupid but in fact i believe that you should feel bad/sad/uncomfortable if you do something that reminds you on others.
    If you have to answer a question about the style of your work with - it sounds like XXX - or - i do house/trap/rap/rock/pop/... in the style of XXX - then you are on the wrong way. If you have to answer the question with - i don't know - or - maybe like XXX but really different - or something in that way, then you are on a good way.
    I had never the intention to make music like others and i never wanted to be part of a cover band. I am at home in many styles and genres and sure outside of knowing styles and genres but lot of people say that i sound like Joe Cramer and do music in a kind of Joe Cramer. But that's easy for me to do cause i am Joe Cramer and make music so the way that Joe Cramer like/love it. I never mind what others believe about my music really much as long as i love what i hear :) ..... in fact i can listen days just to my own music.
  4. 1107661
    liftarn : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Don't worry about it. Over time you will find out what instruments, VSTs, techniques et.c. you like and use them. That will be your style.
  5. 671112
    danke : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago I think, there is no chance to create own style?!
    Am I joking?
    Opinions, insults, consents :-)

Danke
  6. 630386
    JosephFunk : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Ditto to what Spivkurl said. But I would take it a step further and add some formalized music education to your future. That is what going to help make possible all of those things he spoke of come together. It appears you only have FL Studio and a computer, that is okay for now but do not expect things to change very much with only that. Have you consider, or are you in some form of music education?

I mean tweaking an LFO, reducing a bass, chopping things ups, and the like have already been done and is not very innovative. Since you are from India, think about some the music greats from India. Use their influence as a guiding force of inspiration. For instance, the the late great artist known as Prince got some of his inspiration from Jimi Hendrix and James Brown, to name a couple of artists, but Prince built a style all his own based on his influences. And now some are basing their style off of the influence and inspiration of Prince today.

What motivates you, and not your friends, not your family, but you musically. Do not fall into popular music gimmicks because they come and go and you will always be 1 or 2 steps behind as a result. Experiment as mentioned earlier but place education in music somewhere in your future. You will be a better musician/producer and person as a result of that.

Good Luck!
  7. 308224
    theHumps : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Listen to all different styles and genres of music from all over this big planet. Listen to everything you can expose yourself to whether you like it or not. Be a sponge, let it soak in and try to appreciate and learn something from everything you hear.

And break every rule when it comes to music every chance you get.
  8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago theHumps has a great point there! This is one of the reasons why I love Looperman so much, there is a huge variety of music and musicians here from all over the world. I almost never know what to expect when clicking play on a track here. I've been exposed to loads of music which I probably would not have been, being stuck here in this hick megalopolis suburb of itself.
  9. 1293607
    Venuslove : Thu 2nd Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Take lots of breaks when working on music gets to be overwhelming. Keep your stuff hidden as much as possible so not everyone bites and copies your stuff
  10. 2310068
    slone1 : Sat 4th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago I think that overtime prodiceing and song writing you start to learn about what you like and what you dont like and your style of beats. and if your going for something comply different than do some thing that none other has done before. take xxxtentacion for an example he introduced loud distorted bass like no one else in the to rap industry and change every thing.
  11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 4th Nov 2017 : 8 months ago Well unless your a singer, learning an instrument won't hurt your cause any now will it...how can you possibly be unique unless you actually have a handle on the whole creative musical process, learning keyboard skills is important in today's self made digital age. The term "producer" seems to be a euphemism for not being able to play any instrument these days, so are you going to just use other people's loops or sample everything which in effect is plagiarizing, how can you be unique doing that...cut to the chase. bite the bullet and start practicing some musical instrument that will pay dividends down the track.
Posts 1 - 11 of 11

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track