200 Pound Limit On A Synth VST

Posts 1 - 13 of 13
  1. 1547231
    Lemonization : Fri 27th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago Firstly, being honest the Forum Title shows my intention... I will be looking to buy a synth VST in the not too distant future and I've set myself a £200 limit. I've kinda already decided what I'm going to get but I thought it would be both interesting and helpful for myself and many others if users could list:

a) The best synth plugin in their opinion that they have that costs no more than £200
    b) The synth plugin they would buy if someone (not me!) gave them £200 to spend on one.

I'll start the ball rolling with

a) Serum
    b) Dune 2 (told you I'd already decided but if someone on this thread leads me to change my mind, it's all good).
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 27th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago a) used Casio CZ-101 plus used MIDI interface plus used audio interface (that is considering you don't have the interface) ... obviously not a plugin.

b) Korg volca sample (also not a plugin... hee hee)

So I guess where I'm derailing this thread to, is that I could not warrant spending that kind of money on a software synth. That is more like what I paid for a DAW, which includes plugins.

I bought my CZ-101 around fifteen years ago, for about $100. It is the gift that keeps on giving. It can even be used with two part multitimbral setup. Not traditional, not modern, not stereo... I love it. Plus with the money left to get the interfaces, you will have a studio set up to record whatever you want.
  3. 1547231
    Lemonization : Fri 27th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago In an attempt to un-derail this thread, I guess it's each to their own. £200 is not a lot of money these days and I have a few really great synth plugins I've bought for a fair bit less than that - what I would consider well worth the money. If you (and hopefully your listeners) are happy with the sound(s) you are creating by whatever way you do it, it's all good. There's no right or wrong way, it's just personal preference and it just helps that Serum is the dog's! So too is Omnisphere but is outside the scope of this thread (costs more than £200) unfortunately.

Plus you can get Reaper for a lot less than £200 (which also includes plugins) and with the money saved get yourself Serum ;)
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 27th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago There is no right or wrong way. You are correct.

One thing I know is that the software I was using when I bought this synthesizer is no longer usable or supported. When you consider that the CZ-101 came out in 1984, and then consider the state of software then, it is just laughable. Nothing can make a synthesizer like this obsolete, aside from public opinion.

I'm sure that other synth enthusiasts agree, since some of the more advanced plugins I have had their licenses passed to me free of charge by those who had sworn of software synthesis.

I don't even know the price of plugins anymore, aside from knowing that they are way overpriced.
  5. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago I would check out Native Instruments Komplete 11 for $600, or the one that comes with Maschine Jam on Sweetwater for $800. I know it's more than your asking price, but you'll get a bunch of synths and instruments, & effects to last you years. Serum aint bad though. Usually in June Native Instruments has these 50% off sales on bundles, so you might be able to pick it up for $300. Omnisphere might be worth a look as well. u-he Diva is great for analogue sounding stuff, and only costs $179.
  6. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago u-he Diva Demo https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_CKqEPxLgc sounds amazing.
  7. 851137
    crucethus : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago https://valhalladsp.com

This VST company makes any synth, piano, drum,vocal instrument in general sound amazing, and will add depth to your mixes. I use Shimmer and uber mod as my go to sound these days.
    and all each for $50 US
  8. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago Carbon Electra is top notch synth and you can get it in a bundle with a bunch of other stuff for $129
    https://www.pluginboutique.com/product/81-Bundle/83-Genre-Bundles/2973-Drum-Bass-Bundle
    Plugin boutique has some awesome specials.
  9. 1547231
    Lemonization : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago Hi Guys, thanks for the responses so far...

I already have Komplete 10 and aside from 'Form' I don't see anything in there which would encourage me to upgrade to 11 and part of the reason I specified £200 was to try to exclude packages such as that. 'Form' looks good though from what I've seen - if anyone has that I'd be interested in their thoughts (since Form as a standalone would be permissible as an entry!).

I also have Omnisphere 2, which while very good is also more than the 200 which I know you pointed out. If anyone does have the money available to spend though I would definitely recommend it.

I thought Diva might come up though lol. This is the other synth I am considering and does look pretty good. It's between that and Dune 2 for me at the moment!

Any thoughts from anyone else would be appreciated. Thanks again.
  10. 1547231
    Lemonization : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago Oh I also have Carbon Electra which I think I got for a really low price on a special offer or something but I don't use it that much if I'm being honest. Sound design is a lot easier than some other synths I've seen but the sounds themselves are missing something, I can't quite put my finger on it, but yeah - this includes the presets which aren't the best though I may have a look at that to see what the soundbanks are like - I may change my mind!
  11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago Seriously consider a hardware synth, they absolutely win hands down over any vst especially something that's totally tweakable like one of these little babies https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Korg-Prophecy-synthesizer/332426781407?hash=item4d662e22df:g:2NQAAOSw0W5Z5eGF , 190 quid with no bids yet, monophonic yes, but their awesome, vst's always sound too filtered Imo compared to a hardware synth, I own one and wouldn't sell it for quids.
  12. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago PJB knows what I mean. Monophonic, in many cases, simply means that you need to bounce it to audio a few times to get the chords into your project! Most key (read essential not KEYboard) synth work in modern songs is still monophonic.
  13. 1231236
    joecramer : Sat 28th Oct 2017 : 2 months ago At the end only creative rules.
    Good (or well known) musicians did mostly start there career with cheep (or self made) stuff .....
    I bet that Karl Bartos creates better tracks with a free vst then the most here (including me) with a 1000 Pound one :)
Posts 1 - 13 of 13

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Trap Track