Pop Ification Of All Genres

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 7th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago It seems like all the genres of music are becoming pop-ified. I don't see this as a good thing. The old country music had a distinct sound, now I can't really tell it from rock, and it is hard to tell rock from pop. It all kind of sounds the same. The same thing has happened to R&B. I listened to Fallin' by Alicia Keys and then to Rhianna's Work and French Montana's Unforgettable, and while these newer works are pleasant enough, they just don't have the same soul that the older works had. It's like they are polishing the sound, auto-tuning and rounding off the rough edges until you are left with this syrupy mush that doesn't have any grit or character anymore. Throw in some raunchy lyrics and call it done.
  2. 2255594
    slava72 : Sat 7th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago It is called "mainstream",soulless,polished turd of shit,massproduced by mafia to dumb up biomass(us),especialy "they" taget young generation,worst part of it are videoclips "they" film,pure satinism,drugs,alcohol,basic instincts...
  3. 1662143
    MrSpookd : Sat 7th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago I like your use of "pop-ified" because it is actually a fun way of saying popularized.

In my opinion, saying that "pop music" is an individual genre is incorrect. I think that every genre has its pop-subgenre, for example melodic house, soft rock or piano ballads. These are often easy-to-listen, polished and not that impactful tracks.

There are still plenty of artists that are fully into the more original and rough style of these genres or even these subgenres. However, the truth is hard: a polished, repetitive, pop-ified track sells much better, because it appeals to a bigger audience (or the "masses" as some would say).

As a result many people tend to state that the music industry is "dying" or "pop-ifying" because as soon as you turn on the radio all you here is mainstream music. HOWEVER, this is just 0,0001% of all the music that is out there and IT IS NOT REPRESENTATIVE for all of this age's music.

This age is all about diversity, "be yourself" and "don't let other people define you". With this mind-set, the weirdest and roughest stuff is being made and can be found easily thanks to the interwebs. It is your CHOICE to narrow it down to e.g. Rihanna, Alicia Keys and Drake, which are indeed very polished and autotuned artist whose (in my opinion) main drive is fame.

Just remember, pop is just a subsubsubgenre of all the music out there. It feels so present and huge because it appeals to such a big audience, but it influences you and your music only if you want to (and if you want to get famous and loads of money and don't care if your music gets sacrified in the process).

Also I agree on the music video part. These are just awful, irrelevant distractions from the song and only very rarily compliment its sound instead of the artist.
  4. 1041668
    wikkid : Sat 7th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago "Fallin'" took inspiration from James Brown's "This is a Man's world," especially the violins.
    While I like Fallin', the strength of that song is the throwback musical arrangement and harmonies, imho, whereas the soul singers of old (like Sam and Dave, Wilson Pickett, Otis Redding) had lead voices just as memorable as their tunes. Check out Nina Simone, who Alicia Keys and others cite as an influence. I grew up on soul divas such as Nina Simone, Aretha Franklin, Marvis Staples, Shirley Caesar, Etta James, Dinah Washington, Patti LaBelle, Tina Turner, Gladys Knight and Chaka Khan. These are just a few of the singers who influenced the singers of today. Tina Turner was a big influence on both pop and hip-hop artists, due to her fierce live shows and sex appeal.

An argument can also be made for Dusty Springfield and Brenda Holloway, but I'm also going to add Dionne Warwick, because prior to Aretha Franklin, Dionne's voice gave a soulful elegance to many of the hits by Burt Bacharach and Hal David. While I'm at it I might as well add Celia Cruz and Patsy Cline.
  5. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 8th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago Funny... watching Sam & Dave perform Soul Man makes me think of James Brown not The Blues Brothers. He brings it like they do. Blues Brothers are a cheap imitation.
  6. 2283018
    Amusah : Sun 8th Oct 2017 : 9 months ago Well I think the main problem is how music evolves and has been evolving ever since it was created. There was a time when Rock & Roll was seen as rebellious and too out of control and there are still people making the argument that electronic musicians are talentless. I really agree with SharpNotes in that "pop music" has a presence in all music.

The tricky thing is, when one style of music becomes popular it then assumes the role of "popular music". In the late 60's, Rock & Roll would be considered as "pop" music or "mainstream" while it might have changed in the 70's to Disco or Funk, and changed again to more electronic music. When it comes to today's pop music, in the earliest 2000's alternative rock was popular, and here we are in 2017 with EDM. Music, just like people, change, in part because it is the product of people. The main reason why popular music is popular is because it is catchy or relatable to a mass amount of people.

Lets look at it through a technical standpoint. When it comes to chord progressions, it might seem that they contain simple triads (except for Bruno Mars, who is heavily inspired by ZAPP and other Old-School R&B artists). However, this can be said for many subgenres such as alternative, ballad and country rock ( of course, with their exceptions). When it comes to the lyrics, keep in mind that the soul purpose of pop music is to relate or to excite alot of people. Because of this, artists may write something generic like "We found love right where we are" or some other romantic crap to relate to people who are in or just got out of a relationship. Other lyrics like "Cake by the ocean" is simple to get people excited even though it doesn't make any sense. However, people do realize when a song is trash, which is why Rebecca Black's "Friday" or Jacob Sartorius's "Sweatshirt" got attacked. When it comes to auto-tune, it hasn't been a new thing. It's just because of how popular it is now that it got backlash. I personally think that, if you want normal vocals on a track you should work with other artists who can sing, or learn how to sing yourself. Yes, ZAPP and Daft-Punk have technically used auto-tune, but this was very experimental at the time while today it's just common.

But in the end, the only way to improve the situation with popular music is to act on it ourselves. I, myself, don't listen to much pop music nowadays, but having a broad perspective of music makes you more tolerant of other genres. At the end of the day we have these options: Deal with it, whine about it, or change it.
Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track