The Death Of The Electric Guitar

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 630386
    JosephFunk : Mon 18th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago ....and that is according to the Washington Post, a newspaper published in the United States and not me. This written article ignited a firestorm of controversy and angered many among musicians, guitar and instrument shop owners, and guitar manufacturers. The youtube video attached here explains the Washington Post article called: "Why My Guitar Weeps" in a brief summary clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgUl7x9P6wg

If you want to read the full and original article written by Geoff Edgers of the Washington Post, and btw he is not a guitarist, or a music producer, or a musician, maybe a fan at best, I have included a link. :-) So here is the article, grab a bag of popcorn and a soft drink because this is gonna take a while: https://www.washingtonpost.com/graphics/2017/lifestyle/the-slow-secret-death-of-the-electric-guitar/

The first time it was predicted the electric guitar would die was in the 1970s, during the Disco era, yeah Saturday Night Fever was HOT and it was going to bury the electric guitar but it did not. The Electric Guitar stayed alive in part because 80s Rock was huge, and so was the hair! So many greats to thank back then like Van Halen, Slash, Joe Satriani and Prince to name a few. Then they said EDM would bury the electric guitar in the early 2000's. The Electric Guitar is still stronger than ever today!

But recent statistics have shown that girls and women are leading the new guitar industry growth. Some have proclaimed Taylor Swift as the new Guitar Hero for 2017. Is she the new Eddie Van Halen? Well, that is what some people are saying now.
    http://www.guitarworld.com/blogs/taylor-swift-new-eddie-van-halen/30045

What are your thoughts on the Washington Post article and Taylor Swift being the new Eddie Van Halen? All comments, questions, and criticisms are welcomed.
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 18th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago I read through the whole article, and the main thing I gathered from it is that the title was shaped for sensationalism and attention. Very little in the article points to some sort of demise of a specific type of instrument, or the business surrounding it.

Sure guitar manufacturers and sellers are in debt, but who isn't?

The article does not go much into the fact that there is a giant part of the population who rejects anything which is not based on a computer or mobile device. There seem to be people now, who even if they were handed a guitar for free would chose it over a virtual guitar emulation. It's not limited to guitars at all, either... it's all instruments. People just don't want to learn something, they want a piece of software to do the work for them, and make them famous and/or rich.

This is of course just my opinion, but it seems that there is a lot of evidence to back it up.
  3. 2255594
    slava72 : Mon 18th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago t.swift is a new E. Van Halen? Mainstream crapmedia completely lost its brain,composing my crap(music) in acomputer actualy forced me to learn how to pick up a few chords on a guitar,cos vst emulations are not the same,they lucking something,soul i guess...
  4. 1231236
    joecramer : Mon 18th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago I am not really sure but if a electric guitar is only this thing with picups, then maybe it is right and sooner or later there will be a kind of a midi controller who will kick picups away. Nostalgic player will sure use still the "original" e-guitar but "normal" ones will use the next generation, just like it happend to all this organs. Now everybody wants to have a cool synth or at least a Midi keyboard. You know, analog things are cool but ..... mmmmm .... retro :)
    And on the end of the day it is always the same, it doesn't matter how an instrument works, you have to learn to play it or the result is shitty.
    So lets say goodbye to the "e-guitar" and hello to the "non acoustic guitar interface synth".
  5. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Mon 18th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago Yeah I totally agree with Spiv in that the "wild" headline is nothing more than a means to get people to read the article. Which is what headlines are designed to do. The whole article is centered around declining guitar sales and I think it it basically answers its own questions as to the main reasons why. First and foremost would be the waning interest in the instrument based on what the younger generations music of choice is now. Its always been a matter of what is currently popular. It just so happens that the current music trend is geared more toward electronic music which is primarily keyboard or synth based. Give a listen to most of the Pop songs on the Billboard top 100 and you'll be hard pressed to find much of any guitar as a forefront instrument. The other point mentioned is the glut market for guitar manufacturers. When I started playing guitar you had less than 10 choices for manufacturers at any given guitar shop. Now the guitar shop itself is going the way of the Dodo bird, thanks to internet sales. Check out this Wiki list of guitar makers:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guitar_manufacturers

So yeah, it's easy to understand that with all this competition its going to be rough sailing for some in these times. I wouldn't be so bold (or foolish) to ever try and lend credence to the idea that the guitar is dead though. Never going to happen. Pop music may always dominate music sales, but Rock, Metal, Blues, Jazz, and Country bands will always rely on the guitar as the nucleus of their sound. The world will always worship the mighty guitar!
  6. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 19th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago I won't read these articles because I've lived through the history of the electric guitar and I'm in a position to give an informed opinion as I'm sure many other members are including you Joe.
    There is no doubt that the electric guitar player's role has changed over time and the golden era of guitar heroes during the 60's and 70's has passed, however this is a natural if unfortunate result of changing musical trends, the actual electric guitar itself is still a highly valued member of the instrumental ensemble for any particular genre and will remain so as long as there's amplified music being played, I think it's more of a indictment against guitar players that they have failed to change with the times and adapt themselves to new genres, a similar fate happened to the clarinet, once the darling of the jazz band and it's lead melodic voice it succumbed to the saxophone and all but passed out of popular use and therefore appeal. Rather than contemplate the fall from grace of the electric guitar we should rejoice in the rise of the synthesizer which has virtually dragged music into the 21st century all by itself. The electric guitar has risen to stratospheric heights and seemingly now according to various pundits has run out of fuel and gliding back to earth, nothing could be further from the truth, rather it has now established itself as a true instrument of the modern age with millions of adherents all over the world who will carry on regardless of celebrity directed styles.
  7. 851137
    crucethus : Wed 20th Sep 2017 : 2 months ago I love PJB's take on this because it's soaked in reality. how many harpsichord players do we loud these days after the invention of the Pianoforte. The electric guitar now has it's place in a modern orchestra and will be a valuable addition to modern music for quite some time to come., but it will no longer be the superstar solo piece that was cherished during the 70's to nineties. But give it Midi pickups, and the world of synth-guitars are only begining!
Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Cinematic Track