Is Looperman Dying

Posts 1 - 25 of 65
  1. 691199
    Modnex : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Hey guys, well my question is pretty much in the title. Do you think this website is dying? For the past few months I've personally seen the community rate drop. People seem to be less involved in the community. The featured track section features the same tracks from like a week or a few weeks ago. The forum is relatively not that active and just like a few previous websites I was a member of, most of which are no longer active, this site seems like it doesn't have that much time left.

I guess what I'm really asking is, what can we as Looper-Members do, to change that and make this awesome community more active and as Trump said "great again"? What does the community want to see more of and perhaps a little bit less of? What would make people keep their interest on this website and continue to visit, add content and most of all keep the forums more active, more intriguing and more fun.

If you have any ideas, tips and opinions on what you think could help add to this community, post them below. I think there is a lot we can do to help add to this community and would love to hear what you think.
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Looperman is in no way dying. In the summertime (northern hemisphere), there is always less new content and participation, due to outdoor activities, partying, and the like. It's always been this way as far as I can remember.

Everything is seasonal... even on a place like ebay. When I try to sell electronic parts, it is pretty much impossible in the summer, but catch the winter in upswing and they sell like mad... that is another thing people do as an indoor activity. Not many people on Looperman are doing outdoor concerts and recording them, then coming here to share them, otherwise things may be different... but probably not many people here ever do live shows.

A better question might be one or more of these. - Is creativity a lost art? Is the internet just a fad? Is the human race doomed to extinction? Are we all on so many medications that we can't do anything for ourselves?

But, when it comes down to it, everyone could do a bit more to stay involved and support the community - myself included. You mention the track section, when really that is just an added bonus to this site. It's main focus is the sharing of royalty free loops. I personally use the track section for sharing and listening, religiously, however many people have been here for years and only download content or share loops.

I've actually had pretty good response to all of my tracks these past few months... no better or worse than previous summers. It is much easier to place responsibility on strangers, or some "entity," when really everyone should just focus on doing better each and every day. I don't mean just in relation to the site, but every facet of life. Keep learning, keep making better choices, keep making up for what you have done, keep sharing, keep being creative - no matter what.

It's obvious that there are many people in the world who think that our time is up, and the end is near. To use this as an excuse to stop giving a crap or making an effort is just another in a long line of excuses, something which humans can't seem to get enough of. There is no excuse for making a difference.
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago I guess I meant "no excuse for NOT making a difference," but it works both ways.

Really I think of sites like Looperman as a bit of a microcosm. In the world at large there have been many examples of people thinking of doom, and acting accordingly. Sometimes these things are hard to recover from

A more "recent" example of this is 1999. Lots of people thought that the world would end, or chaos would ensue. As a result, they partied hard, thinking it would be the last chance. Then they woke up in 2000, and life kept going, but so did they... they liked that taste of irresponsibility, and just kept on swinging until the present time. The big difference was that 1999 was all out of our control reasons for the end, while something like Looperman's future, or climate change, or taking care of our health - they are all within our grasp, and we must hold on to that grasp each day, each of us. What else do we have?
  4. 691199
    Modnex : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Very good points you made there Spiv. There are always better questions to ask. I just do not want this site to end up like so many before it has ended up. Like you said, there is always more we can do and I think that is what we all should focus on for this community. The part you mentioned about the concerts is actually not a bad idea. If people shared their outside/offline music success with the looper community, that could possibly bring the community closer and help keep people intrigued. If people uploaded videos of their concerts or even gave tips in the forums on how their experience with concerts and other live venues affected their viewpoint as musicians and helped them improve, I think the community could benefit from that. I also think interviews with real looper musicians could also help us as a community to improve.
  5. 691199
    Modnex : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago You are right! In situations like climate change, healthcare or even looperman, we do have control. But the problem is most people won't do a thing to change any of it. Most people will wait to the last minute until we no longer have control to try and take charge of the situation. But by then, its too late. If we as people really want to see change, we must be willing to take the steps to make one. If not nothing will ever get done.
  6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 13th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Nice ideas there! I'm sure that there are at least a few members here who actual "play out." The interview idea is also quite interesting, though it would probably need to be arranged behind the scenes and then uploaded en masse.

I know that is an already long winded response, however I thought of one more contributing factor. It at least applies to most of the US, but probably some other areas as well.

What I mean, in a nutshell, is youth. There is always an influx of new users here and other places in the summer. They get out of school for the summer, they are having new experiences, and wanting to interact. They have a small taste of not being confined to that prison, and they want more. Regardless of their drive or passion, one simple thing stands out, which is inexperience. This inexperience can lead to dead ends in conversation and interaction, mediocre content, and even spam.

Without getting to "attacky," there are probably other factors which separate youth from more experienced members. Things are changing quickly. Chemical and pharmaceutical companies have a huge control over out mental and physical health, and the younger someone is, the less they seem to be able to avoid this control. It seeps into social interaction and creativity on a regular basis. Epidemics, illnesses and addictions are considered par for the course for youth now. The closer (in time) generations are, and the larger they are, the less time and energy is spent avoiding the spread of these cultural issues.

It all leads to a sort of automatic nature to creativity and social interaction. It is not conducive to working together to make things better, or working together at all. It is a "take what we can get before it's too late" sort of game.
  7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Here's an opinion from somebody that has been here 10 years, Looperman is definitely not dying but rather caught in it's periodic cycle of membership apathy. For a long time I've been campaigning (that's a nice way of saying complaining) about the front page of Looperman namely the forum side bar, this is what reflects the current vibe within the site and naturally the dynamics of it's day to day, night to night activity, there is absolutely no doubt that active members are put off by the wanted ad takeover of the forums, I really am sick and tired of making this point, members both new and old are confronted on a daily basis by the aforementioned and yet nothing is ever done about it, the reason is pretty simple Looperman has been set up to be an automated preference filtered site which is indeed functional for a self maintaining system, however in doing so the law of unintended consequences has made much of the ethos and empathy once so prevalent here be slowly drowned out by wanted ads, it's not rocket science it's just simple fact. The answer is also pretty simple, people need to actively campaign to Looperman for this situation to be changed. The number of people that have left the site and become disenchanted with it is directly proportional to the number of wanted ads in the forums.
  8. 1505829
    jfkbossee : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Funny how this thread sort of went off the rails and suddenly climate change was brought up. Beautiful in a way too though, because all things are connected in the end.

Personally I've seen my fair share of sites die out, but with the amount of people on here and the quality of the content shared, I can hardly believe that'll be the case with Looperman. I've been a member on this account for two years now (though I had an account before that, I believe, I remember having to sign up again because of some changes made to the site?) and I've always just been a lurker, dowloading loops, leaving the occasional comment thanking someone for their loop. I think I might start sharing some of my own work, even though there's a part of me that wants to keep my own creations for myself. Hypocritical, I'm aware, but it's an emotional response so reason doesn't necessarily apply.

One thing I've personally been kind of frustrated with is the lack of hiphop producers that don't make trap on here. But then again, maybe I'm looking in the wrong places.

As for what we as users could do to keep this site active? I'm not quite sure. Looperman relies on people sharing their work so as long as they do so, this site has a reason to exist. I do however see some merit to a Facebook Group, as I'm personally not a huge fan of the forum, but then again that might get overrun by just people spamming their tracks. A subreddit is also an option but their interface is also not the most user-friendly.

I don't know, man. For me personally, I spent most of my time on Looperman going through loops and downloading stuff because I'm not a huge fan of the forum format. I doubt I'm the only one. So even though the featured tracks and the forum might not be super active, I don't believe this site is dying.

I'm not even sure what my point was anymore but oh well.
  9. 691199
    Modnex : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago @Spiv You make some good points there. Young people are our future and we as a society should try to point them in the right direction. Unfortunately, like you stated with the "take what we can get before it's too late" line, most people rush into things because they think time is against them. This causes people to be so busy with everything else, that they have little to no time to express themselves creatively. With little to no creativity, we are left with nothing more than walking drones that have little to no emotion, no motivation and most of all no creativity. Sad world we live in, indeed.

@Planetjazzbass I have seen you post that before, but in your defense its impossible to ignore it when it happens on a daily basis. In fact probably 98% of this forum is filled with spam from people linking to their soundcloud page, trying to get views and basically advertising themselves without even contributing in the community in any form. Your idea to fix it might be the only solution at this point. Obviously ignoring those post won't help as we all tried that. Shan is the only one who can fix this problem and maybe if enough of us reached out he would.

@jfkbossee I understand how you feel. Its very hard to part with your own creations, especially when you are promised nothing in return. That is the price of helping people. But as music lovers we have to stick together. Helping others is a reward in itself and you'll find that emotional response that you feel towards your music will change when you share your work and realized how helpful it was for others. Coming to the realization that your work helped someone complete their work, will spark a bigger emotional response in you than the one you feel now. Its definitely a feeling all musicians, producers and artists alike should aim to feel.

The idea of a facebook group or a reddit group isn't a bad one either. I think having discussions about looperman on other sites could also increase the popularity and perhaps enlarge the community. Yeah, you will have some lurkers who will just be here for the free content, but if we could get some real community members out of it, what does it matter?
  10. 1505829
    jfkbossee : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago I think it's a mix of protectiveness on one side and a certain sense of inadequacy on the other, to be honest. But I think I'm going to go through some of my projects and see if there's stuff worth sharing. Could be interesting. Could spark collaborations, who knows. However, I'm currently in a space where I'm working on stuff in silence, trying to define my sound and style as an artist. I haven't uploaded anything in a year and a half. It's all part of a bigger plan, so I guess I'm a bit weary of putting something on here and then part of my sound, my identity is out there before I'm really ready for it, even if it's tweaked and processed in an entirely different way. I want to have the premiere, so to speak.

I feel a need to defend lurkers, as for the most part, I am one myself. Even people who are just here for the free content, influence the content posted. If your loop is downloaded 100 times, that means 100 people thought it was worth downloading to see if they could do something with it. I usually only comment on loops if I have a request or a question, if it's just absolutely gorgeous and I feel a need to compliment the creator, or if I want to share what I've done with the loop (and seeing as I'm currently holding off on posting things online for a while and work in silence, that hasn't happened a lot lately). My entire point being that lurkers shouldn't be seen as a negative thing, necessarily.

A Facebook group or subreddit both could have some merit to it but the question then becomes: what do we expect of it? Do we expect it to become a place for discussions (which would take away the need for a forum on LM)? Is it a place to post your tracks (which could quickly get out of hand with people just spamming their music)? Either way, it would have to be moderated, which requires people putting in time and effort.

I'm a part of the makinghiphop subreddit, where there's a daily feedback thread which has been incredibly helpful and educational. Basically, you post a track to get feedback, but you only get feedback if you give feedback. Turn it into a cycle. Their system works, but only because there's a large and active community who are mindful of the rules. (also I believe there's a bot that bans you from posting for a while if you don't provide feedback. Or maybe that's just an empty threat, but it's definitely worked on me.)
  11. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago I sure hope this site isn't dying. If it weren't for this site I wouldn't be doing anything musically. The amount of advice, knowledge, and encouragement I get is nothing short of amazing. The loops are just a side benefit. If this site went down, I'm not really sure what I would do with my time. Sure I could upload my tracks to soundcloud, and nobody would listen to them and I wouldn't get any feedback. My 10 year old would tell me that my latest track makes her ears bleed, like she does with all my tracks, but I don't have time for the haters :)
  12. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago It's great to see all you people freely expressing your thoughts, more power to you! that to me is the best thing about Looperman there's no cliques, no divisional boundaries, no elitism, and so we are all agreed that we really dig the place and yet there's an obvious malaise or lassitude call it what you will hanging over the site, I've said my piece on what needs to be done and you can bet that as soon as this thread moves off the top line of the forum it will be replaced by a "rapper needed" thread...ps there is already a Looperman fb page though how active it is I can't say.
  13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 14th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago While I understand thinking that another social media platform might help with Looperman, I also disagree wholeheartedly, and the idea makes me vomit in my mouth a bit. I will try to explain...

It comes back to some of what I was saying. The idea of something like facebook in regards to promoting interaction here, is akin to the though process "I can not make a difference myself, and I need a bunch of people to do it with me, or I will be wasting my time." It is an irresponsible method. It takes any guilt or shame for lack of involvement, and spreads it over a large group of people.

I have finally been logged out of facebook for long enough for them to remove me from the log in screen completely. My wife is no longer listed as married, because her husband no longer exists there. I left for many reasons, including; public apathy, corporate shills, targeted advertisement, fake news, aggravation of my mental state, and finally the one relevant to this discussion - MASS HYSTERIA. The whole idea that we need everyone else to validate our methods of personally changing the world simply leads to them having control of our actions. We are ultimately responsible for the good or bad that we do.

This gets at what I was speaking of. While Looperman is technically social media, it is also quite purposefully filtered from other regions of the internet. Sometimes this mass hysteria seeps in, be it in the form of spamming, stolen content, or whatever else. Usually the users who are involved don't last, and return to their trap houses. Sometimes, they become strong, and break away from the hysteria - they become productive and involved. This is a sign of self determination.

In the end, we are all here for ourselves, and as such we have only ourselves to blame for any problems we may see in the community. We also have it in our power to change things in every situation. It is our responsibility.
  14. 1
    Looperman : Tue 15th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago at least its not a debate on is Hip Hop dead this time.

If you want interesting debate in the forums you should start the conversation, if you want feedback on your tracks then you should start by posting comments on other peoples tracks, if you think someones loops are crap why not make some of your own and show the wold how its done.

The number of users who visit the site is always rising, the server has just been updated and is running better then ever, the code is constantly being tweaked and new people are always turning up.

As ive said many times in the past, no, the site is not dying, its just a bunch of code on a server. The rest of it is down to you guys :-)
  15. 2255594
    slava72 : Tue 15th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Im new to Loopeman...What realy puts me out are(as Planetjazzbass rightly said)adds...I go on main page and see only "rap,trap,smap,crap "producer" needed,or "hit me bro on s.c." and shit like that,then i simply log out,it feels like kind of infection,plage.The only way to stop it is to be more active,post interesting threds and take part in discutions,that what we have to do,here are my 5 cents to our thred(sorry for my english)
  16. 796294
    silverman : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago It is very quiet.
    So is everywhere else and that includes FB Amazon EBay you name it. Just wait till the cold winds start to knock the balls of those brass monkeys they'll all be back.
  17. 796294
    silverman : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Just looked at the list .... FROM THE FORUMS .....

Is Looperman Dying 16 by silverman - 13 seconds ago
    Selling Your Tunes 3 by silverman - 10 minutes ago
    Collab Post Spam - New Guidelines 5 by Planetjazzbass - 2 hours ago
    Looking For An Artist 2 by Enzotic - 4 hours ago
    Looking For A Dubstep Collaboration 1 by SleazyRebel - 4 hours ago
    I Need Artist For My Mixtape 3 by bbe1715 - 21 hours ago
    Looking For Edm Vocalist Or Recommended 1 by monsterage - 23 hours ago
    HELLO I Am OnNonAnon - Audio Engineer And Sound Design Enthusiast 1 by WhoamIAnon - 1 day ago
    Rapper Needed For A Trap Beat 3 by Zawidey - 1 day ago
    Looking For Beats 21 by Zawidey - 1 day ago
    More New Threads
    Report Ad
  18. 796294
    silverman : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Maybe someone could set up an I need a rapper shop ....
  19. 1041668
    wikkid : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago If you're a rapper and you're reading this, then please know, your music is valid imho. I enjoy all kinds of music and understand the need to find like minded artists who will help you achieve your musical goal, so, within the new guidelines that Shan (owner of Looperman) has set out, go for it.

Rappers are musicians too, and if some were throwing the kind of disses that are on this thread, this place would be a free-for-all.

I thought this site was about being inclusive, not exclusive.
  20. 796294
    silverman : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago I don't think anyone has dissed rap.
    It's the lack of content and links to other places that annoy.
    I need a rapper.
    Well why do you need one and what kind and what exactly for.
    Male female agressive peaceful yo bro etc.
  21. 1041668
    wikkid : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Silverman,

If complaining about the number of rap threads floats your boat, then go for "bro."

I happen to have a different opinion.
  22. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago There is absolutely no "dissing" of rap going on here, there is some unavoidable objectivity going on though seeing as the spamming problems exclusively arise from a distinct demographic namely that of youth. So what else is new this has been happening since year dot, nobody wants to close down any legitimate musical endeavours, collaborations and efforts of any genre by any person of any age or creed so lets back off from suggesting there's any form of discrimination going on, getting back on topic, to fix, improve or refine a situation first calls for identifying any problems, it's pretty basic procedure and something that's also been going on from year dot.
  23. 796294
    silverman : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago Wikkid you're reading stuff that isn't there.
  24. 851137
    crucethus : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago To be fair, if this were 1976-77 England those forum spams would be occluded with calls for Punk (g-tar and bass maybe drums and a singer who couldn't give a F**K about what you think,) players as that was the beginning of the DIY forerunners. Now we have all this history of rap coming together to be the DIY of the moment, with EDM a close second. I guess it annoys me as much as the keytar annoys Rik Wakeman? I'd rather these kids be out looking to connect with each other here than on the streets trying to connect for drugs, or joining the new Neo-Nazi brown-shirt delegates growing in the US these days. Is it annoying....yes. can I deal with it, also a yes. Links to your soundcloud... not gonna click there matey! no easy solution.
    Cru
  25. 630386
    JosephFunk : Wed 16th Aug 2017 : 1 month ago For what it is worth, everything must evolve for better or for worse. Take my country, for example, I cannot say it has evolved mostly for the better. But gone are things like the Betamax, 8-track tapes, and Bellbottom pants. And Hello to smartphones, live streaming, and yoga pants. Like Looperman said, this site is code in cyberspace and never lived, in the sense of what we define life as, so it cannot die. Usually, there is a downtick in activity in the summertime (Northern hemisphere) on LM as previously stated.

In reflection, I think the old group of folks that were here some time ago is sort of quiet now and the new group now rules the forum boards with collab requests and loop downloads. That's how we currently evolved here today somewhat, and let's not forget that person trying to build their own "fill-in-with-any-word"-Beats (Tired Beats for example). More people need to get involved together here. What I miss are those guys who wrote tech style music blogs here that ignited debate, opinion, methods, and techniques. And I also miss those tutorials that had visual demonstrations.
Posts 1 - 25 of 65

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track