Need Advice On Choosing Studio Monitors

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 589130
    Spd2 : Thu 27th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago Hey gang, I'm looking to invest in studio monitors between $300-$500. I've been eyeballing Mackie, JBL, PreSonus, KRK Rokit, M-Audio, etc. I've heard from a few mention about cleaner, flat response monitors, but I'm not savvy by any means. Any thoughts? Please, share your experience and maybe throw in some specs. Thank you :)
  2. 1127123
    asidRn : Thu 27th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago if youre talking $300-$500 for a pair... almost every fuckin person ive ran into on this budget goes with the jbl lsr308s... and never regrets it...

if youre talking $300-$500 per monitor... i like my focal alpha 50s (the superior alpha 65s are in the price range too)... although people absolutely swear by the yamahas (most on the hs8 model and some on the msp7 model).

an interesting tidbit is the hs8 is back-ported, while msp7 is front ported (meaning the latter is probably more flexible in terms of room placement; you can keep it closer to walls and stuff).
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 28th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago I've been using Alesis Monitor One MK2's for several years now, and have been happy with them.

http://alesis.com/products/view/monitor-one-mkii-passive

Of course, these are passive monitors, and require a power amp to drive them. Frequency response is 45Hz-20kHz. I have had no shortage of bass response, and they are quite clear in the rest of the range, very balanced to my ears.

They seem to be getting rare, especially in brand new form, but can be found used for 150-200$ range. A decent entry level power amp which would be plenty strong for these could probably be had for around $100.
  4. 1411201
    NateJMusic : Sat 29th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago I have Focal Solo 6Be's. But if I had to get another set of monitors, it would have to be the JBL's. They should not sound that good for so little
  5. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 29th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago Hey man, it's always difficult to choose when there's a plethora of options and product reviews online, my advice is to go to a large DJ store where they have a large array of monitors all hooked up together so you can listen to them separately and compare, the bottom line is you want as uncoloured a sound as possible, then there's the question of should you buy new or for the same price get twice the budget range second hand, personally, second hand gear is my usual preference, I could list a whole lot of specs but in the end this information is all pretty arbitrary considering that the best way to get the most out of any monitoring system is to play material that you know is top notch sound wise and then using that as a template emulate it.
  6. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sat 29th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago Pjb is spot on with the advice to go an listen to them in a shop. Also I would advise you to get a pair of monitors and a sub if you can. The sub will give you an extra octave in the lows which comes in really handy. Regardless what you end up getting, make sure you spend some time to get to know how those speakers sound in your environment. The space you put them in is more important than those speakers so extra caution is needed with placing them in the room.
  7. 229129
    CONEYISLANDRECORDS : Sat 29th Jul 2017 : 1 year ago NS-10's Or HS8's. Google them. Industry standard. I guess if you can get a proper mix on them the mix will sound proper on anything.

When or if I finally get my set up proper id look to these.
    NS-10's are no longer produced so you would have to buy used and that always sucks. But the HS8's are supposed to be the next best thing.
  8. 1652442
    gavin8399 : Thu 3rd Aug 2017 : 1 year ago for 300-500 a pair, i would look at presonus eris e5 they are pretty good. even frequency response, after learning the speaker and how it reacts i was able to get a good mix out of it.
    for 300-500 a speaker yamaha hs7 or hs8 the hs8 really need the sub to go along with them (so ive heard) yamaha hs7 both are the modern day powered version of the yamaha ns10 which is unpowered and requires an amp, but ns10s are the industry standard for reference monitors. i highly reccomend the hs7
  9. 589130
    Spd2 : Thu 3rd Aug 2017 : 1 year ago Sorry for the late reply, I've been so busy with life that I have little free time to read comments. Thank you all for your thoughts and recommendations, I will look into the monitors mentioned above. I'll test them if available at my local music center when I find time. Thanks again everyone, you've been more than helpful :)
  10. 1962250
    eggs0ntoast : Sun 6th Aug 2017 : 1 year ago hi dude i got KRK ROKIT4 im in a small room and theyre great they have separate amp for the tweeter and the speaker and good response they were for me the best in the price range with the best and most consistent reviews from multiple sources... worth investigating
Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track