How Little Music There Is In Pop Songs

Posts 1 - 2 of 2
  1. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sun 16th Jul 2017 : 4 months ago I love the song "There's Nothin' Holdin' Me Back" by Shawn Mendes. And of course, now when I listen to songs I try to pick apart all the separate pieces to see how they're built. But the funny thing is, if you listen to the karaoke version of the song (along with most other pop songs) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69mrR_Lc_yA, you notice that there is almost nothing to the song. It's all the power of the vocalist to make the track amazing. I'm not sure how to feel about this. In part it's frustrating, knowing it's all about the vocalist.
  2. 2163911
    Allochtune : Sun 16th Jul 2017 : 4 months ago I think, in part, you are right. The vocalist makes or breaks a pop song. That doesn't mean that there is nothing to making a pop song. The producers behind them know their audience very well and are able to capitalize on their knowledge of music theory and experience in the music business. I am not saying they are very skilled in music production or theory, but they are very skilled in making pop songs.

Also, taking away the thing that makes the song good, isn't very fair to the artist ;). That's like asking a colourblind person to look at a painting. The artist expected the colour to be seen and Shawn Mendes intended the song to be heard with the lyrics.
Posts 1 - 2 of 2

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Rap Track