Anything Wrong With Being A Loop Masher

Posts 1 - 16 of 16
  1. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Tue 4th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago I was talking to a guy from work. He uses Sonar Platinum and has spent over $5,000 on music creation software. I've spent under $100. When I told him what I do to create music, he said, oh you just mash loops together like a dj. My question is this, is there anything wrong with being a loop masher? I just like playing around and seeing what speaks to me. Are there any other loop mashers out there?
  2. 1929922
    Alabafruit : Tue 4th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago Yep. What you call -Loop Mashing- taught me to make my own Music. After I downloaded many Loops from here and make some Tracks I started to upload Loops myself. Then I was thinking if I can mix other Loops. Probaly I can do it with my own Loops. So I learned to make Tracks and get better and better. Sometimes if I dont have any inspirations I mix Loops together. My skills developed in only one year from mixing Loops to make own Tracks.

And even a -I like to call it Loop Mixer/Masher can get very positive Feedback

Look here: https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/182768
    Its all Loops from Looperman.

Now here: https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/183805

A complete Track what I have learned from hearing other Loops or making Loops myself.

All started with Loop mashing. Now Im better in making Loops, Mashing Loops and even making whole Tracks.

So nothing is wrong with Loop Mashers...it can be a beginning of something Big.
  3. 1237805
    centralsdev : Tue 4th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago there is nothing wrong by mash loops together as long you use the same BPM on all loops.
  4. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Wed 5th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago The word Loopmashing isn't very nice sounding and I would assume its meant as a derogatory reference. We prefer to use the term "producer".

I Like Alabafruits example, but would guess that the majority of members here are not musicians and have no desire to become one. Looperman is designed as a resource for audio loops and samples and much of the music showcased here is produced wholly or in part from the loop archives. There's nothing wrong with creating music tracks from loops. Certain musicians might take exception to producing and like to rag on producers, but its really just egotistical bullshit. I'm a musician and I have used loops and samples in my music. There a very few one man bands around these days. Also what I gather from your post, your friend at work is technically not a musician either. It doesn't matter how much money he spends, if he's not playing an instrument, he's not a musician, professionally speaking.
    Just do your own thing, and have fun.
  5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 5th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago The word "producer" is thrown about regularly these days, but it is generally used incorrectly.

Here is what wikipedia has to say... "A record producer or music producer has a very broad role in overseeing and managing the recording and production of a band or performer's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs or session musicians, proposing changes to the song arrangements, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through audio mixing (recorded music) and, in some cases, to the audio mastering stage. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, contracts, and negotiations. In the 2010s, the recording industry has two kinds of producers with different roles: executive producer and music producer. Executive producers oversee project finances while music producers oversee the creative process of recording songs or albums.

In most cases the music producer is also a competent arranger, composer, musician or songwriter who can bring fresh ideas to a project. As well as making any songwriting and arrangement adjustments, the producer often selects or gives suggestions to the mixing engineer, who takes the raw recorded tracks and edits and modifies them with hardware and software tools and creates a stereo or surround sound "mix" of all the individual voices sounds and instruments, which is in turn given further adjustment by a mastering engineer. The producer will also liaise with the recording engineer who concentrates on the technical aspects of recording, whereas the executive producer keeps an eye on the overall project's marketability."

I only quote this because I find the use of the word offensive when it is used to describe someone who sits on the computer and bangs out virtual music. I have completed fourteen albums worth of music, from writing to performance, from recording to arranging, from mixing to mastering, and on to distribution... yet I would never call myself a producer! Being a producer also has nothing to do with whether or not someone uses loops.

In regards to the original question, it seems pretty funny to ask if it is wrong to make music from loops on a site which is devoted to loops! Is there anything wrong with any way to make music? Probably not, especially if there is nothing illegal about your methods.
  6. 630386
    JosephFunk : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago @Alabafruit, mashing loops means different things to many people. From my perspective, the output from a mashed up loop to ME is a convoluted ball of sound with no clearly defined sound. But I am happy that you found a way to make it work for you that made you a bit better according to you.

@Neomorpheus, the term Loop Mashing in not a negative term. There are a few genres based solely around loop mashing or a mashed up loop. I even found some commercial loop kits based on mashed up loops. Now as far as calling Loop Mashers producers, hmmm. :-)

@neuromancer56, there was once a guy here on this site that was downloading loops here and mashing them up. Then he would re-upload them here. He got suspended here so be careful what you call yours.

Lots of songs today are becoming more like sound salads in my opinion. But if you are mashing up loops, there nothing really wrong with that. Only that your art depends on someone else to create art for you first so that you can make something. If that is music to you, then it is music to you, and your supporters. Good Luck I wish you all the best.
  7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago You can do anything you like, you can call yourself whatever you wish and presumably the world will accept it these days, as far as music goes the same applies, it's a total Machiavellian situation so don't loose any sleep over whatever your buddy says, however there are plenty of people with opposite and disparaging views including me, I'm like Spivcurl and dislike the misuse of long established terminology and it's proper meaning but like everything else the old is always challenged by the new, mind you the real lunacy started when someone decided wearing your hat on backwards was a good idea....as you can see history repeats but the present crop of offenders aren't UBoat Captains! ;)
  8. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago He came up with a new name for me today, DJ Drag N' Drop :)
  9. 2155813
    AlexanderMadeMusic : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago I am the loop mashing king...
  10. 691199
    Modnex : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago There is absolutely nothing wrong with mashing loops together. Sure, there are a lot of people who think just because they make music from scratch they are way better than people who rely on other sources, but those people are just egotistical jerks. At the end of the day music is music and art is art. Who cares how you went about making it? You can still come up on top!

Don't think of loops as a bad thing, think of it as a tool. Just like any other tool, it's the person behind it who does the magic, not the tool itself. After all majority of the industry standard music uses loops of some sort.
  11. 2155813
    AlexanderMadeMusic : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago Well said @modnex

I am one of those guys who made music from scratch my whole life up until about 3-4months ago when I started using looperman.
    I'm not gonna lie, at first I felt guilty telling people I made something when it included loops from this website because to me, saying that I created something always meant that I started the whole thing from beginning to end (usually with no help). However, learning about this website and using it more and more has changed my perspective drastically!
    I've gone from taking 1-2days to complete writing song and then months to finalize it to completing countless pieces in the same amount of time (and in my opinion, i get a little better every time)!
  12. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago @ Spivcurl, Joe and Dave re: my producer reference

The definition of "produce" is to "create, make or manufacture from components or raw materials". What are we doing here at Looperman? Using components (loops) to create "songs", "tracks", "music".

So the argument becomes "Well, if a person can make songs, either from loops or by sitting behind a computer and banging out virtual music from their DAW, aren't they 'producing music'? And if so, then why would they not be considered a 'music producer'?".

Well as much as I hate to offend you (Spiv), In 2017, the answer is yes, they are producing music and are considered producers.

Google "Looperman".
    The first entry listed is the link to this site. In the description it says: Best free music loops, samples, wavs, acapellas, vocals, downloads. Producer tips, tricks & tutorials.

My post was only meant to give neuromancer56 a bit of positive reinforcement and also present him with a more respectful sounding name for himself, which by the way is commonly mentioned within these forums as well as throughout the music industry. I honestly don't understand your taking offense by it or your attempt to discredit me for mentioning it.
  13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago I accept your ideas and ideals Neomorpheus, and I thank you for sharing them.

I honestly think of your definition of "producer" as a synonym for "manufacturer" in the modern sense. It explains why I feel no affinity with the word producer. If I produce something, I am a farmer or a gardener... creating produce. If I manufacture something, I am a builder or a chemist. I suppose I would consider myself a bit of both, though it is questionable whether these things have much to do with music.

So, it is possible that if this is your feeling about making music with loops, then maybe there is something wrong with it! The music industry is in tatters and decay. "Production" and "Manufacture" have become the domain of industry, so possibly it is a road to nowhere?
  14. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago As an aside... Neomorpheus, who are some famous artists who you would refer to as "producers?"
  15. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 6th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago Since it seems relevant to the thread, and I wanted to feature something a bit older anyway, I am leaving a link to my song "Liberate."

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/157177

The instrumental parts of this song were completely composed of loops I got from Looperman, and I added my own vocals to create a final product.

Possibly it is intent which differentiates a producer from and artist. I don't know. All I know for sure is that this song is important to me, and the only instrument I used were loops, DAW, and vocals/microphone. It is not a manufactured product, but an artistic creation. The two should not be one and the same, or else we are probably hopeless as a species.
  16. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Fri 7th Jul 2017 : 6 months ago Ha ha, ok Spiv, I'm not wanting to get anyone triggered over this, and quite honestly you and I are cut from the same mold. Your right, "producer" in this sense is now maybe nothing but a current music culture buzz word. Take it or leave it. I did give your track a listen though, and damn if I didn't dig the shit out it. You know I'm a fan boy, and I concede you are indeed an artist. But, also one helluva producer.

To answer your question: I feel that all artists are producers, but many producers cannot be classified as artists. You my friend, have proven you are one of the exceptions.
Posts 1 - 16 of 16

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Electro Track