Is It Okay To Use Timeline For Making Drumbeats

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 1854363
    5thT33N : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago I'm aware this is really specific, but in FL Studio, when I make my drumbeats, I usually use the timeline to do so, instead of creating a pattern.

Many of my friends have been complaining about this, and I was wondering, is this really that bad?

Please tell me.

Thanks.
  2. 1971422
    Justze3 : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago Not at all,it's all personal preference really even tho i would say your way of doing drums is uncommon i also have my own little uncommon ways when i'm creating E.g when i do trackouts alot of the times patterns are overlaying eachother,its a total mess to look at tbh ..but its my mess =)
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago I am assuming that you mean placing one shot samples and loops in the playlist as audio clips to make your drum beats.

I have done things both ways before. I find that pattern based work makes arrangement far easier. Once you get the hang of "clone" or "make unique," then variations of patterns becomes a simple matter.

In addition, with some of the playlist workflow annoyances which have cropped up in recent versions, there are even more barriers to this sort of work. For me, and some others I've spoken to, it has become very easy to accidentally duplicate or move selections in the playlist. Sometimes this leads to duplicate clips directly on top of eachother, which is not always easy to see, and will lead to much louder audio reaching the mixer. Sometimes it leads to hard to diagnose timing issues.

Whatever works for you is okay, of course! What version of FL are you using?
  4. 1854363
    5thT33N : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago I currently use 12.5 Open beta, because I like being on top of updates.
  5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago I see, that is good to hear! I have been to in the depths of some collab/remix projects to do any beta testing, so I'm still on 12.4.2.

If the one shots and loops thing is what you are doing in the playlist, then I fully recommend Slicex, Directwave, or FPC as native alternatives - in combination with the piano roll, of course.
  6. 1910991
    MrMittens : Wed 14th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago I don't think I've ever used a pattern because they confuse me a lot
  7. 1854363
    5thT33N : Thu 15th Jun 2017 : 1 year ago Well, I can see that, it's pretty hard to learn at first.
    I just like the preference of having exact control over the drums, and I like the ability to work on several different drum types at once.
Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured House Track