Anyone Have Good Punk Music Mixing Tips

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 19th May 2017 : 5 months ago Im about to record a local punk band.

Any tips, videos or tutorials related to this that I can look at before I leap into this?

My biggest issue has been drum mixing and compression and guitar tones. I find it very difficult to get a clear but not over-crunchy tone in my guitars without making it sound thin, whilst trying to reduce my crunchiness only makes it sound muddy.

I don't know how to get a solid drum sound that has a punchier, more balanced power than what I am used to.

Anyhoo, anything helps. Thanks!

Brado
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 19th May 2017 : 5 months ago I may be able to help you a bit, but first I have a couple questions...

What sort of punk band is this, as in subgenre/style?

Is it a three piece or four piece, or something else?

Will all instruments be real, and played by real people?
  3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Fri 19th May 2017 : 5 months ago Just replied to your e-mail Brado. I apologize for the delay.

Drums are pretty easy for such a genre as you can go with a natural and gritty sound or with a more processed and sample reinforced sound. If you are tracking real drums I'd advise recording one shots of the toms, kick and snare which you can then use as samples to reinforce the drum sound. MAke sure when recording the one shots that you are also recording the room sound and the overhead sound. This enables you to have the room ambiance of the snare for example without the noise of the cymbals and everything else.

As for guitar on the recording process I tend to go with an SM57 over the cap and and 421 or 441 at the edge of the cap or further depending on the sound. Also make sure you record a DI signal which can help you when editing the guitars. Contrary to what people believe most of the guitar power and that huge sound comes when the bass guitar is present so try to get that powerfull low end with the help of the bass.

As for drum mixing, start with the overheads and get a nice powerfull and sizzly tone and then bring in the direct mics. Works in most cases for me.

Cheers!
  4. 1107661
    liftarn : Tue 23rd May 2017 : 5 months ago You put boombox on the floor, hit record and tell them to start playing. Done.
  5. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 24th May 2017 : 5 months ago Awesome, thanks for the tips all.

Spiv, it is a 4-piece. Bass, drummer, rhythm guitar/singer, lead guitar.

The sound is more modern punk, as it is not too complex in its beat or style. I'd say its fairly straightforward.

Malu, I received your email! Thanks for all the tips. I am being forced to use Superior Drummer 2.0 due to budget concerns on the band's end, but will definitely implement your ideas suggested. My biggest concern is definitely the drums, so what you have suggested will be a big help.

As for the guitars, what is your general EQ'ing style to get them to sound powerful but not brittle? I understand the bass is absolutely essential to getting a punchy feel from the guitars so I will be sure to press that they remain tight at all times.
  6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 24th May 2017 : 5 months ago Regarding drums, there are some simple things which can be done to improve mixing.

I find that cutting all very low frequencies (sub or higher sometimes) from all except a kick drum or possibly a floor tom can help greatly.

Panning is extremely important in any sort of acoustic sounding attempt. The different drums and percussions in a drum set are in different static placements. The drummer hits the from the back, but the audience hears it from the from. If you can imagine a real drum set, which is comprised of the drum types you are using, and then pan or stereo place them in that stereo area, then the listener will receive a more realistic impression. Of course the kick drum is often center stage, and will often sound best in mono.

Some stereo width in mid and high frequency drums can help, but too much would most likely take away from the realistic impression. Sometimes a little panning and a Mid/side equipped equalizer could take care of all of these steps I've mentioned.

I am not a big user of compression on most instrument elements including drums, at least during mixing. Of course, during mastering, any compression will effect the entire mix. I think compression will be far more useful on a bass line (if it is played on a real bass). Most punk has a good amount of overdrive or some sort of distortion on guitars, so compression is often compounding the issues inherent with mixing a source such as this.

It is however unfortunate that the drums will be virtual in a punk setting, as they are all too important to the authentic feel.

With all of this said, I am unfamiliar with pretty much any modern punk rock. I know of a great amount of new (new) wave, indie, metal and the like... however I have heard very little modern music which I would classify as punk. If you have some recommendations on listening, I would like to hear them.
  7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 24th May 2017 : 5 months ago Where are you going to be recording, home studio, garage?...definitely DI everything especially the bass, it's a pity you can't DI drum kits! (well you can actually with electronic kits but that's another story) without fail drums are the biggest hassle, heaps of mics, heaps of fiddling around depending on your gear it's always trial and error, if you have any sound absorbent partitions definitely use them to get some separation of the instruments and less overspill, in a pinch blankets draped over some ropes can make all the difference... Mahloo's suggestion of taking numerous one shots is golden.
  8. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 24th May 2017 : 5 months ago I will be in a home studio. The Superior Drummer plugin will be routed to an electronic kit that will be played by a real drummer. It should be fine in that regard, I am more concerned with compression and mixing than authenticity as the plugin already sounds quite realistic. Thanks for the tips, PBJ! I will be sure to DI!
  9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 24th May 2017 : 5 months ago "It should be fine in that regard, I am more concerned with compression and mixing than authenticity as the plugin already sounds quite realistic."

Apologies before hand, but this reads to me as - "I am more concerned with compression and mixing than authenticity because I am."

"Realism" is in no way what I mean by "authenticity." Sure a virtual instrument based on samples of actual drums will sound realistic. Authenticity has many more implications than this.

Obviously, I despise things such as Superior Drummer. Despite this, I am interested to hear the final product in relation to punk rock that I know and love. I'm expecting something along the lines of indie (as a genre, not meaning independent).
Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track