My Computer Wont Recognize My MIDI Controller - Help Please

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 2144253
    Zivonmusic : Fri 5th May 2017 : 10 months ago I have a windows invent PC that I got in 2006. I have windows 7 installed on there as well as FL studio 12. I'm sick of drag-n-drop so I decided to get a keyboard. (Triton Le Music workstation. Very powerful)

The darned thing won't even show up on the device manager! I'm trying to use it in FL. If there are any MIDI experts out there please help me!

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 5th May 2017 : 10 months ago We need more information. How have you connected your MIDI controller? Do you have a MIDI interface?

I will probably be able to help you with more info. I use FL 12 and windows 7, so that makes a bit of difference.
  3. 2144253
    Zivonmusic : Fri 5th May 2017 : 10 months ago Sorry about that. To answer your questions: My keyboard is connected directly to my computer from the two midi cables (which end in a single usb cable that I have hooked to my computer.
  4. 2144253
    Zivonmusic : Fri 5th May 2017 : 10 months ago I do not hace MIDI interface though. My keyboard is connected directly into the computer. Is this a necessity?
  5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 6th May 2017 : 10 months ago It sounds like you are using a MIDI to USB cable then. In that case, the USB connection serves as your MIDI interface.

Since it is not showing up in the device manager, then I am assuming that it is not "plug and play," or this function is not completing the installation process. It is possible that your device requires some sort of driver in order to be available in your software. Did the MIDI cable come with a disk? Do you have the manual for the device?

There is another thing which may be getting in the way of the "plug and play," which is the USB port which it is connected to. It is possible that the device requires USB v2 or v3, but is connected to USB v1... or some such issue. Some devices also do not work properly when connected to a USB hub, though I doubt this is the issue. I know that on my studio computers, I had to install a USB 3.0 and firewire card on one, and a USB 2.0 card on another, when I upgraded and reorganized.

Another thing to consider, which I mention just to cover all the bases... I am thinking that the keyboard probably requires an adaptor to supply power to it, since USB power would not be supplied via MIDI. This would have nothing to do with the USB connection not being recognized.

Make sure that the cable marked "MIDI Out" connects to the "MIDI In" of the keyboard, and the "MIDI In" cable connects to the "MIDI Out" of the keyboard.

Beyond all of this, it is important to note that this MIDI connection will allow you to use the keyboard as a controller, as well as to trigger the keyboard sounds from a DAW... but an audio connection will be required to record and monitor the workstation sounds, preferably in the form of an audio interface.

Finally, have you made the connections and then opened up FL to test it out? If there is incoming MIDI info, then you should see FL react when you hit keys on the keyboard. If this is not happened, open up the MIDI settings in FL. Are there any devices listed under "Input?" If you see your device there, make sure to select it and click the "enable" button below it. You should also set the Input MIDI port to the same port which your keyboard is set to send on.

Hope that some of this helps. Let me know how this turns out. After all is said and done, you may want to visit the image line forum, as their are tons of helpful people there. You can even speak directly with the developers on the forums.
Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Acoustic Track