Unruly Singer

Posts 1 - 16 of 16
  1. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Hello friends!

Am I wrong?

I made a song for my mom which is a singer, but she refuses to do what I tell her. She keeps saying that it's her style and that I can't change that, but she is ruining the arrangement because she wants to sing how she sees fit, and has no knowledge of making music.

All I'm telling her to do is to stay with the rhythm and sing simple since it is a musical arrange that requires a gentle vocal, or it will sound too busy and off, but she says that I am limiting her.

Dealing with her has been harder than the 700 hours I've spent on the composition of this piece, so I came to the conclusion to just give it all up.

I am handing over the song to my parents so they can ruin it however the heck they want. Never working with family again EVER. They seem to think because I'm family my word doesn't count.

I tried to please them so I took the song to a studio twice, so they could mix it and master it, but their mastered product ended up being inferior to my mix. All they did was boost the low end and boost from 3-4k by like 1000 dbs, then proceeded to squash it with a hydraulic press to make sure it was nice and flat at 11 rms. It was the worst pancake I've ever seen. Heck even I could have mastered it at 11 rms and not be as flat.

Am I wrong or do I really have to let an unruly singer decide the direction of a song even though all they know about music is to open their mouth and make sound?

2. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Be good to your Mother.
    You will miss her very much one day.

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Learning not to argue with your Mother is one of those things you should have learnt early on..if the songs for them let them do what they want, when dealing with family the only sure way to change a perspective is to offer suggestions not ultimatums.

4. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

I'm not being mean to anyone. I thought maybe some of you guys encountered a situation like this where a musician is being uncooperative. I have no clue what to do because they are family, and it's driving me crazy.

I'll just go on a vacation I guess.

5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

I have one question. Who wrote the lyrics?

6. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

This is by far the best post I've read on this site in a very long time! Thank you for that. As for your problem...are you sure you're not adopted? It could explain why you guys aren't on the same page with this.

7. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

We all know you are not being mean to your mother, you are frustrated. To your mom, this is fun to her probably from her perspective. To her, changing your diapers is probably still a recent memory to her. So she might feel it is okay to bend the rules a bit, because no fault of her own, she still sees you as her little baby and not the musician and music producer we all know here. So to mom, maybe she is just having fun and unwinding while recapturing memories of her youth thanks to you. So don't take it personal. In fact you may have done your mom a really wonderful thing and you just don't realize that fact.

So the real issue is they got to really want it, meaning if you approached them to sing, then it's party time, but if they approached you, you MIGHT actually get a real song out of it. Whatever the outcome, good luck man, and may God bless your mom.

8. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

You lost me at "but she refuses to do what I tell her"

As a female and a mom, I feel I must speak up to let you know you're being a bit of a control freak.

Mom says she wants to sing it how she sees fit, and you say "no"
    Mom says she wants to cut loose and you say "no"
    And you state that she knows nothing about music, which is subjective.

This woman carried you for nine months (its not easy carrying something the size of a watermelon to term. I'm not gonna go into the birth process, but its safe to say that its no picnic, dude). And all the years she spent loving and nurturing you, being patient at your . . . outbursts, warranted or not.

So please, cut your mom some slack. You only get one. Let her do her thing. When she's no longer around, you will listen to her voice and you may realize she knows more than you give her credit for.

So yeah, you're wrong :)

Now, I recall following my mom around with a camera, asking her about the "old days." With murder in her eye, she told me to get that damn camera out of her face if I wanted to keep living. So, I mean, your mom sounds like peach.

9. 1041668
    wikkid : Fri 24th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

That should be "your mom sounds like a peach."

10. 589130
    Unknown User : Sat 25th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Well, if it were my mother, it would certainly be an honor if she'd sing to my music. Unfortunately, my mom has a God given gift for singing, but has no interest in my music...never really did. Have fun! Hold on to it and cherish it for the rest of your life. Share it with your love ones, your friends, even with us, we'd love to hear it.

11. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Sat 25th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Thank you all for the replies.

-My dad wrote the lyrics, and he agrees with me on this. I understand why he would be on her side as well at times.

-I wrote the arrangement and my dad helped me with the vocal arrangement.

-I'm not a control freak. I have an arrangement that needs to be followed. The singer can use their skills but has to maintain rhythm. It's not a free style song.

-No I'm not adopted lol.

-I don't disrespect my mom. My rants only happen online, and never come out of my mouth with her or anyone else. All I say is yes, no, right, wrong, good, bad, re-do.

Do you understand where I'm coming from? I'm being descriptive for you guys. I haven't actually had an argument or anything lol. I'm just quietly frustrated and posting about it online.

The question was how to deal with family about this. If it was a non family member I would let them know straight up they are ruining the arrangement and that they needed to stick to what we had practiced.

Mr JosephFunk: My frustration didn't allow me to think past it. Thanks for reminding me that. It's ok for the song not to be perfect then. I did this for her and I'll let her enjoy it however she wants. There is no right or wrong in art. I'll let it be. I got so caught up trying to prove myself to myself that I forgot that I did this for her in the first place.

In this very specific case I am wrong. This is for her, not for me. It was an honest mistake in which my intention was to do the very best possible I could for her, but things got cloudy trying to achieve perfection.

Thanks all.

12. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Sat 25th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

Wikkid: thanks to you as well.

Thank you all even if I didn't mention you. I read your comments and thought about each of them.

13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 25th Mar 2017 : 5 years ago

I suppose that my only suggestion is to make an attempt at flexibility. In the same way as collaborating with anyone, sometimes changes need to be made to accommodate performances, regardless of the instrument involved in the performance. And, yes, a voice is an instrument.

Who knows, you mother may have some image of the song in her head which will enrich the entire artwork in ways that you or your father can not imagine.

Computer based musicians have also become quite spoiled in recent times, when a piece of software has become the instrument. It does only what you say, and with some clicks, you have reached a simulated performance. Humans, regardless of their instrument are not like this, thank Jah. It is our uncontrolled nature, and our unpredictability, which makes us human... makes us artists.

14. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 25th Jun 2017 : 5 years ago

Just split the project into two versions and keep it on the down low until it's finished or nearly finished. Two mixes are better than one anyway. Use the elements from their mix that work and forget about the others. When you show them the superior results they will probably be proud of how you handled them and got things done correctly without disrupting their creative flow.
    -Or maybe they'll disown you at the dinner table, art is powerful stuff. :D

15. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sun 25th Jun 2017 : 5 years ago

Hey Zerg! Ive experienced the same issue as you except with a guitar-playing brother :) He INSISTED that mono was how one was supposed to record electric guitars (mind you, he's never had experience in a studio setting other than being recorded - never behind the desk), so after a bit of arguing, I simply suggested he give it a try so I could demonstrate his version against my version. He was blown away at the sound of the stereo recording, and despite wanting to not admit he was wrong, he could not deny that it sounded better that way. Maybe you could ask your mother to sing it her way, and then have her sing it your way (maybe a 30 second piece) and then compare the two. Ask her which one sounds more organized. I guarantee that in the end she's going to hear the messiness of her "freestyle" version and will eventually start understanding where you're coming from. Best of luck.

16. 2155813
    AlexanderMadeMusic : Mon 26th Jun 2017 : 5 years ago

Omg, haha! I know people like this! this guy once spent over two hours trying to figure out how to phrase one line! I would make suggestions but it was like he woudnt heed them because then it wouldnt be 100% his work! And it was one of those situations where this is his first time recording and I've been doing it for a while but he's like, "nah, you dont know what you're talking about"

Posts 1 - 16 of 16

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.