Do AKAI MPC 1000 Beat Making People Really Have Talent

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 630386
    JosephFunk : Sat 4th Mar 2017 : 10 months ago I am on the fence with one. I have seen a guy create a complete song centered around his MPC 1000. I have watched this guy make his own percussion sounds while recording those percussion sounds to a Digital Recorder. He then made samples out of them for his own MPC. And it was quiet amazing. He made his own percussion (drum) arrangement into several different smooth sounding pattern layers he banged out himself and then saved it. He then imported those drum sounds into his very own MPC, Bravo!

Next, he played an acoustic guitar quite well like you would expect an accomplished or experienced guitar player would. He sampled his own guitar playing and loaded it into his MPC. It sounded nice! He then banged out a really cool song from his work.
    ------------
    Next, switching gears here, we have DJ's and Hip-Hop producers that purchase or acquire the works of others in sample form. They load and queue up the sounds that they like the most into the pads of their MPC and literally create their own sequenced arrangement out of, 1 to 4 second sample clips on average, to create a song out of sample clips they did not originally create.

My question is for the later below dashed line,, can this really be consider as legitimate music? Would you buy such a song? Can MPC DJs, MPC Arrangers, MPC Performers, and MPC Artists be considered as really having legitimate talent? I am speaking of the ones who load up sample clips from others, whether paid samples or otherwise acquired samples from various sources like vinyl Lp's. Real talk, no disrespect to anyone. All opinions and views are welcomed.
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 4th Mar 2017 : 10 months ago It's just a sampler/groove box. Not really much different from a DAW. If someone can do a performance with a single instrument, then that is pretty legit in and of itself.

Sampling the work of others is a completely different subject from the merits of a specific brand of groove box instrument.
  3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sat 4th Mar 2017 : 10 months ago It's an interesting question Joe, I'm a guy like many others who've been around since way before the digital revolution and the whole sampling thing so I pretty much play all my own instruments though I do use drum software and at times various midi controlled vst instruments, I can play the drums to a certain extent (average) but I don't have a kit and won't be getting one anytime soon, their way too loud, take up too much room and are a big hassle to record so I guess my gut reaction in the past has been to give a thumbs down to 100% sampling in music creation....However music is such a Machiavellian affair these days it's difficult to take the high moral ground without looking like a dinosaur, it is what it is especially regarding urban styles which is predominantly sampled, the only thing that never ceases to amaze me is when a producer or DJ starts getting their swag on and profess to know everything about music and the audio arts and state in their profile music is their entire life! lol makes me laugh every time......Having said that don't think for a moment that I dislike sampling and it's aficionados, some of the music especially the underground HipHop movement is outstanding and super creative, all in all if I hear something I like that's enough for me, and whether I like to admit it or not (sampled) urban music has influenced me to some degree, but then the osmosis had already happened when I heard it first back in the day! lol
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 4th Mar 2017 : 10 months ago We must keep in mind that a sampler is an instrument. Just like any other instrument, it is how one uses it which can be judged. If someone cannot create their own samples, then it could be said that they are not very good at their instrument. It is similar to, say, a guitarist who can only play songs written by other people. Obviously, they may be able to add their own flair to someone else's composition, but the same thing can be said of a samplist.
  5. 690837
    SNTech : Sun 5th Mar 2017 : 10 months ago I think anyone that can put an audio project together in song form has talent. Whether they use pots n pans or different DAWS. The process of arranging tones and using different sounds to make "audio art" is a talent. I myself use different instruments and samples to get a desired outcome. I don't consider myself a "musician." I consider myself more of an artist and I, personally, don't know if I have talent or not. All I know is that what I do with this medium, flows out naturally. I have sampled, remixed and done my own compositions because I feel that I am a student of this art. Going back to MPC beat making people, I have learned ALOT from their techniques. With this said, I don't think it is wise to undermine anyone who is involved with this art because once we do, we, as artists, have narrowed our creative scope and vision. In the end and with DAWS nowadays, everyone is sampling.
Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Trap Track