Modular Vocal Effects

Posts 1 - 7 of 7
  1. 286604
    Crypt : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Hello. So recently I've been listening to this band called Angelspit and they use Modulars to create pretty much all of their songs including for vocal effects. I want to get into it. Thing is, I know absolutely nothing about Modulars. What would I need to create solid "Industrial/robotic/weird" vocal effects. I would be using this for vocals only, not synths. Advice?
  2. 1127123
    asidRn : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago once upon a time, i wanted to get into modular gear... then i spent all my money on software because im a laptop producer who isn't really in one place at a time... and i don't like to carry too much stuff around LOL

so let me give you some decent resources i still have around on my browser:

https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/ - these guys can help you out about modular stuff better and are fairly nice...

https://www.modulargrid.net - creating an account is free and this site is EXTREMELY useful for building an imaginary eurorack for budgeting purposes and stuff...

http://www.analoguehaven.com - im a california guy, which is how i figured out about these guys. not the most organized site, but they've got a TON of gear for you to choose from.

==========================================================

the first resource should guide you to people who are much more knowledgeable about the stuff you're looking into. the other two resources will help you out in the later stages!

hope this all helps! =D
  3. 286604
    Crypt : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Thank you for the links asidRn. I'll check them out.
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago That's the thing about modulars, no matter what you intend to use them for... there are a multitude of ways to connect the various modules, and the more modules you have, the more options you have.

To say the you will be using it only for vocals and not synths does not explain much, and once you start learning about and collecting modules, you will start to understand why.

Here's an example of what I mean - You may be thinking "synth" and thinking "oscillator" (which is most often voltage controlled oscillator in modular terms). A common thing to do with vocals, or any other signal, is to modulate it with another signal. There is ring modulation, amplitude modulation, filter modulation, and stuff like that. So... to do these things, you need a ring modulator, or a voltage controlled amplifier, or a voltage controlled filter (in order corresponding with the last sentence). Then you need something to send a modulation signal to this modules, which your vocal signal will be input to. Most often this is some sort of oscillator (LFO or VCO), though it could be something else, like white noise or a sequencer output. What I'm trying to iterate, is that modules are used for synthesis regardless of processing a voice or a "synth sound," and with creativity, you will find a use for almost any module.

I am a big fan of envelope followers for helping to process or use external signals, such as vocals... to the point where I built two of them into my modular. The problem here, is that without other modules, they won't do anything for you. Think of an ADSR envelope generator, for example... it outputs an envelope which is simply a voltage which varies over time. Control voltages are used to control something else. An envelope follower does the same thing, except the envelope is based on the signal which is input to it. So, to do even a simple patch like this, you need an input module to get the vocals to modular level, plus the envelope follower, both of which will be fed the vocals. Then the input module could be sent to the audio input of a filter, and the envelope follower could be sent to the CV input of the filter... thus changing the cutoff of the filter based on the gain of the vocal signal. You could even send the signal through a VCA input, and use the envelope to control pitch of an oscillator, then use the output of the oscillator as a CV to amplitude modulate the VCA (of which the modulation speed/frequency will vary based on the gain of the input signal).

As you can see, it gets complicated to give a simple answer as to what you will "need." Everyone seems to have different ideas as to what is necessary for a beginner system. I would not be the best advisor, as I have built all of mine from scratch up until now.

There are so many available modules out there now, and so many more if you are inclined to design and build your own... the possibilities are basically endless.

Muffwiggler is a good resource for sure.
  5. 286604
    Crypt : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Ok, I think I get what you're saying when you say vocal's are a signal. It's like my vocals can be used as long as I have the proper units that can route the audio signals? I need to do lot's of research still but I appreciate the explanation.
  6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago A signal is pretty much anything. In modular, there are a couple kinds of signals - Audio, control voltage, gate, and sometimes trigger. Sometimes, these can cross the line between categories as well.

In the strictest sense, your vocal would be an audio signal, because of the frequency range and amplitude. It could blur the lines though...

An example of a signal which blurs the lines would be the waveform that is output from an oscillator. If you connect it to an audio input, such as on a filter, amplifier, or your audio interface - then it is an audio signal. However, if you connect to a CV input, such as on a voltage controlled filter or amplifier - then it is a CV signal, but at audio rate (which is quite fun for modulation, and is what much of the FM synth idea was based on). Then it gets even more interesting if the oscillator is using a pulse/square wave, as it can also serve as a gate or trigger in many cases - which could trigger envelope generators, clock a sample and hold or sequencer, or engage a percussion module.

It can become a major addiction, and a never ending fractal progression... If you have not already, I might suggest becoming well psychedelicized before jumping down the rabbit hole!
  7. 286604
    Crypt : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Oh I definitely will. I've looked into lot's of vocal processors and none of them really cut it for me. After hearing what the singer of Angelspit can do with vocals I'm convinced Modulars are the only way to go to get the vocal effects I'm looking for. Thanks again for your help man!
Posts 1 - 7 of 7

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Dance Track