Hardware Sequencer

Posts 1 - 5 of 5
  1. 342904
    breo : Sat 15th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Hi there

I'm thinking of buying a hardware sequencer so I can take a break from the computer screens.

I have been looking at the yamaha qy100 or the Yamaha rm1x
    As anybody used these are they a good choice and what else is out there.
  2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 16th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago I saw the thread title, and instantly thought about modular synthesizers. Considering that I'm thinking in a totally different direction. Generally speaking, most of my hardware sequencing is based on CV, Gate and trigger signals.

I did recently grab a beatstep, which can serve as a standalone sequencer for both CV and MIDI. This is nice in combination with the computer, since I can sequence a CV output from the DAW. This thing works okay, except for programming the setups which is a bit annoying.

The monotribe is nice, since this one has MIDI ports added, plus it has a sync output. The sync works pretty well with my modular synth, and the sequencer I built to compliment it. The modular sequencer works pretty nice on it's own, aside from only being two to four steps.

I also build a circuit bent drum box recently which has an eight step trigger sequencer included. I find this most useful for generative rhythms when interfaced with the other sequencing items.

I think of the items you listed more as groove boxes. Things such as this seem more standalone, and less "interface" based. For purposes like this I'll general use one of my Zoom RT-123 or Monotribe. I don't think that I could rely upon a groove box for a complete performance. I seem to remember reading some poor reviews about the qy100, although I'm not sure where.

It really all depends on what you are looking to achieve. Are you looking for a stripped down live performance? Do you want it to interface with a bunch of other instruments? Will you be recording it? In the case of recording, then what you will need will be also based on your intentions... Will you be mixing to two tracks and recording just that? Then a mixer or capable mixing interface would be necessary for more than just the groove box. Do you need to be able to record each instrument separately, to the DAW or multitrack tape? In that case you would need an interface which could capture each instrument simultaneously, for a live performance.

There is a lot to consider.
  3. 342904
    breo : Sun 16th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Hi I
    had a groovebox 303 which was great as stand alone and also as part of a setup. I basically want a groovebox sequencer to control my other hardware in a live situation without the need of a computer. Not to bothered about recording the performance. I also have a midi patch bay so ins and outs shouldn't be a problem.
  4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Let me know what you end up getting.

I think I would hate the idea of programming eight or sixteen channels of midi data and routing on a little LCD screen, but it could be right up your alley. I'm more into the gratification of hooking up a bunch of voltage and audio cables, turning the knobs, and generating the music... at least when in a live mode.
  5. 692334
    VASH : Mon 17th Oct 2016 : 1 year ago I got a thing for sequencers...
    In my rig I use three at one time, Elektron Octatrack for the main clock, Roland MC500 (mk2) for chords and Arturia Beat Step Pro for controlling monosynths and drum machines simultaneously.
    I have used the QY70 (similar to the 100) and it is not exactly intuitive.

Lets take a look at what types of sequencers there are and what they excel at.
    Personally I rep Roland, so I would say MC80 or MC500 is a good starting point.
    Key features are sending and receiving clock and MIDI data, does not send or receive CV or USB.
    These devices are not too technical to use and have functions that make arranging easy. Functions like; copy, paste, quantize and many more. Polyphonic.
    Of course, on those machines the menus are a bit hidden, making programming a bit tedious. It was meant for playing a keyboard into, with settings that will start recording as soon as it receives the first note (and a built in metronome), this gear was clearly aimed at the player/arranger musician.
    These machines are from the past, a few other notable machines are the Alesis MMT8, Kawai Q-80 and the Yamaha QY700. The RM1X is highly recommended because it has a great sound engine and sequencer put together!

Analog sequencers;
    Key features, CV and usually clock send and receive.
    Clock types differ depending on year/format, but typically these will not receive a MIDI clock.
    This list contains rarities, most purely analog sequencers are discontinued and obsolete. Monophonic
    Korg SQ-1 and SQ-10 , ARP Sequencer and Technosaurus Cyclodon.
    Useful for modular control or monosynth control.

Modern hybrids;
    Key features, sends and receives clock, MIDI, CV and usually USB.
    Most up to date and easy UI. Allows for on the fly sequence changes, transposition, polyrhythms and often integrates DAW/Mackie controls and allows control over parameters of external gear. Often is limited to monophony.
    Squarp Pyramid, Arturia Beat Step Pro, Kilpatrick Audio Carbon.
Posts 1 - 5 of 5

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Deep House Track