New Features - Blocking Spammers

Posts 1 - 25 of 49
  1. 1
    Looperman : Sat 1st Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Ive managed to find some time to work on a few new features. The first things Ive been doing is cleaning out users who have signed up for no other reason then to post spam links in their profiles.

Even though we have some prevention measures in place they cant stop people who manually create profiles and then post links to sites they are trying to give exposure to in their profile description for example.

There is little point in them doing this as the links have little or no value as far as SEO goes and probably do as much harm as good to those stupid enough to pay dodgy SEO companies to do this.

To prevent those spam links being posted I have now added a check to the profile page to stop anyone posting links in the description or other fields.

As not everyone is here to post spam Ive also implemented a profile setting that allows good users to be verified, a little like twitter or facebook does. To become verified you must be an active user. By that I mean someone who has forum access, loop or acapella upload access etc. Anyone who already does this will notice a tick next to your name when you view your profile. Anyone added to the forums etc in the future automatically becomes verified.

The next thing Ive been doing is running scripts to search for user accounts that are just here to spam and closing them down. So far Ive closed down about 6000.

If anyone has been caught up in this cull just get in touch and ill remove the block. Its highly unlikely that anyone legit has been suspended because of this though.

As I work through this and add more to it ill update this post.

As ever if you have any problems or questions regarding this issue just post here.
  2. 1865741
    AV3 : Sat 1st Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Awesome! Just a quick question

I am an active user

I am not allowed to post a link to my website?
  3. 1
    Looperman : Sat 1st Oct 2016 : 1 year ago check your profile, you have a tick next to your name which means you are verified.

As you are verified you wont be prevented from adding a link in your profile
  4. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Awesome work Shan!...while spam will always remind me of stale sandwiches from school excursions it's modern equivalent is even less tasty. :)
  5. 1378797
    GregVincey : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago @Planetjazzbass Lmao! Stale sandwiches from school. Nothing like a box juice to swallow that sucker down. I enjoyed it tho.

@Looperman Great job dude! I saw the thick, it looks cool. Spam control under wraps, I like it.
  6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago @Looperman Thanks for your efforts. We all appreciate your hard work!

Brado
  7. 1
    Looperman : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago quick update on this ..

removed just over 13000 accounts yesterday and today. I think ive managed to get most of them now. For the most part nobody would have ever seen any of these pages but they were just bloating the database.

There are a few places where users names dont show the correct thing when you hover over them but Ill get that sorted too and post here again when its done
  8. 159051
    MINOR2GO : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Great work Shan.
    What does the green coloured names mean?
  9. 1
    Looperman : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago verified.

if your name is not yet green at the bottom log out and then log back in and it should change. still working on that bit though
  10. 159051
    MINOR2GO : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Ah thanks.
    Sadly not working here. I logged out, cleaned cache, logged in.
    Still not green and not able to post links.
  11. 933074
    mike0112 : Sun 2nd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago You should add a pro next to the tick mark too for some users who make content that is viewed/download a lot or people who are influential on the website! :) so especially in the forums they will receive a high standing for their advice cause there are some really good people in the forums that I've learned from
  12. 1819633
    SadGhoster87 : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Verified, but unfortunately not green.
  13. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Same here, verified but not green. And a "pro" level would be nice, so that people who do have more experience on this site will get a higher standing for giving back to the community versus regular users.

And totally different idea here, but - Is it possible to implement an achievement type of system for this site?

EXAMPLES (organized by number, not by steps)

FORUMS/COMMUNITY
    "New Beginnings" (Be approved by Shan to access forums and loop downloads)
    "Rite of Introduction" (Create a thread in the "Introduce Yourself" forum threads)
    "Conversation Starter" (Create 10 New and relevant forum threads)
    "Food for Thought" (Comment 25 times on forum threads)

TRACKS
    "Producer's High" (Upload 25 tracks to Looperman)
    "Music Junkie" (Listen to 250 unique tracks)
    "Food for Thought" (Make 100 unique track comments, longer than 30 characters)
    "Friendly Discussions" (Reply to 100 comments left on your tracks)

UPLOADS
    "This Voice is Popular" (Reach 2500 downloads on your acapellas)
    "Power to the Loop" (Reach 5000 downloads on your loops)

And maybe even have a thing for featured tracks for plays:

"Regional Listen" (Earn 50 plays on a featured track)
    "Regional Trend" (Earn 100 plays on a featured track)
    "Regional Hit" (Earn 250 plays on a featured track)
    "Growing Success" (Earn 500 plays on a featured track)
    "Hit single" (Earn 750 plays on a featured track)
    "Platinum Hit" (Earn 1000 plays on a featured track)
    "Producer's Dream" (Earn 1250 plays on a featured track)
    "Producer's Fantasy" (Earn 1500 plays on a featured track)
    "Mainstream Production" (Earn 1750 plays on a featured track)
    "Looperman Classic" (Earn 2000 plays on a featured track)
    "Looperman Legacy" (Earn 3000 plays on a featured track)

I've seen it implemented on platforms such as Steam and it really encourages users to want to give back to this community. Giving achievements for being involved really helps encourage users to take part.

I particularly like the featured track idea I mentioned above. This would promote the track section a lot - people love seeing their hard effort be labeled a "Growing Success" after reaching 500 plays, for example.

From my view, this would encourage growth for community members and basic users.

Brado
  14. 1819633
    SadGhoster87 : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago OMG I love this idea
  15. 630386
    Unknown User : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago No green here Shan, I did everything you told others to do to resolve the non-green issue but I still got the Blues. Not too concerned about the colour green Shan just as long as things work then no biggie there gov'na. Thanks for the update. Joe
  16. 1
    Looperman : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago same here, will have a look today and find the loose wire
  17. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Just speculating, I am still blue also could it have something to do with the login passwords? I'm still using the same one I had since I joined over eight years ago. I think putting added distinctions to certain members profiles sounds innocent enough but maybe it will create a certain clique within an otherwise level playing field, however this could also be an overwhelmingly popular idea!
  18. 1
    Looperman : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago the users online bit should be fixed now to show ..

Verified = verified
    Community = uploaded something or filled profile a bit
    Guest = none of the above

At the moment they mean nothing in real terms but its helps me block spammers whilst allowing genuine users to do what they did before.

If users could test out adding links etc to profiles and let me know if you have any problems
  19. 776955
    Billydragon1 : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Bout time taking out some of the garbage!
    Good job Shan! :)
  20. 630386
    Unknown User : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Quick results! Thanks Shan. Cheerio!
  21. 1
    Looperman : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago anyone else have issues adding links to the advanced settings page once your account is verified ?

https://www.looperman.com/settings/advanced
  22. 1378797
    GregVincey : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago I appreciate your hard work Looperman! Good job dude.
  23. 147341
    Jeffierenee : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Im not verified. I've been here for years. Lol. wtw?
  24. 1
    Looperman : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago @Jeffierenee your account is verified, what makes you think its not.

I could do with answers to the questions i posted so that I know if this is all working as it should
  25. 159051
    MINOR2GO : Mon 3rd Oct 2016 : 1 year ago Superb. Verified and green now :)
    If a wanna set a link to my profile page it still says: "Your account is not verified so you cant post links. Check the help section for more information on verifying your account".
Posts 1 - 25 of 49

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Rock Track