Mix Tutorial Nr2 Label Preprocess Sample Replacement Ruff Mix

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Sun 11th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago Hello Loopers,

I've uploaded the 2nd video of the tutorial and you can find it here:

https://youtu.be/up0F1zjBTwQ

The video is unlisted to make it a looperman exclusive, meaning you have to go to the video from this link.

I'm gonna talk about Labelling your tracks, PreProcessing some tracks to help you out, Sample replacement in general and then balance the song from zero to get a ruff mix.

As always if you do have questions, suggestions, tips feel free to post in youtube or here in the forum and I'll try to answer as fast as I can.

Cheers!

-Malu-
  2. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Sun 11th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago I really like that you keep things/elements organized whithin the composition eventhough there is no view of the actual arrangement of the song (at least on the video).

Around 8:52 there is a guitar melody/motif (in a way) played in paralell thirds (somehow fine sounding in such a dance mix).

Just wondering if this would be a complete mix or am I seeing yourself trying and fixing or something. Sounds really good to me as there is no clipping but it all seems panned hard letft/right. Bass guitar isn't sounding very realistic to me though.
  3. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Mon 12th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago The arrangement itself is not that important at this stage. Right now it's all about the mix.

The videos aim to present tips and tricks and of course there shall be a mix disection video where you will get to hear the full mix and full explanations on each of the processers used.

I don't really see other panning options than left or right or center in this particular song

I'm not really sure what you mean when you say "in such a dance song" :)
  4. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Tue 13th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago thanks for your reply.

I find your video organized in a vertical way only which is some kind of a 'final mix' stage setting too. You seem creating even a little but interesting confusion between actual mixing and mastering. That's why I do not see any difference between 'metal' or 'dance' genres as it is all about being and yourself making everything loud as possible.

This video gives an impression that you're simply putting Maximus (or similar plugin) on every individual track and on the Main Track of this song basically. It would be nice if you can explain your settings closer eventually by operating on specific plugins. It's all so called radio-music to me. Just judging by listening to it on the laptop.

At 1:45 you said: ''Make sure every hit is kind of the same intensity''. Let's say when listening to to this song it in the background on simple speakers by taking a shower - it would make some sense to me.

Can you you explain your 'Process' in a more detailed way? I saw thoundsands vids like this already but very few ones were focused on the 'arrangement' and a 'good sound'. I know you don not care about the 'recording' but making a radio-kind of sound and that's fine.

At 0:17 you said: (..). and yes you can deeply process on individual tracks before you start mixing and that's gonna help you when starting mixing (...). So my question is why bothering whith all that mixing then, especially if one can easily pre-process the entire thing? Where is the border with the 'mixing'?
    It's a vital question of an artistic otcome of the result of your final work too. Or maybe you do not care about all this.

My point about 'dance mix' was also about discussing toms at 1:50. (..) in such a dance mix? (...)

Why bass guitars are problematic to you? Probably the reason is because there is a very little awareness of the harmonics generated by the most players so this is why it could be creating some clashes with other players. Just wondering, not listening to rock music myself at all.

If music is poorly played why bother others with KHz's and MHz's then?

Looking forward to listen to the entire song and your further tutorials! Would be nice also to somehow 'enlighten' a genre and explain the specifics of the arrangement too as this video is just giving an overall view of the very common and generic radio- music feeling for me so far.
  5. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 13th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago First and foremost a GOOD recording and arrangement is essential for a great mix. I do care about that but I just assumed everyone would know that and that they are already recording great tracks to begin with. I'm not trying to reinvent the wheel here just pointing out some things which can be considered taboo for example adding a limiter to a couple of tracks or two. You've all read about how you shouldn't crush this or that yet many famous and succesful engineers do it every day. I do care about the sound and the recording as otherwise I'd be out of bussines but please understand each genre is different.

As for preprocessing...i've said you could group similar sounding tracks and do some processing on them for example let's say you have 24 tracks of backing vocals creating a choir that does just aahhhsss, I don't see any point in having those 24 tracks spread out on the mixer when I can print them on 2 tracks one for the left and one for the right. If you don't process those tracks individually first, preprocess them, then you won't have a proper tonal balance and equilibrium and some ahhs might jump out etc.

Maybe you don't like radio music but in my case it pays the bills, I can't mix a record early Pink Floyd style if the client wants modern Nickelback style :)

Bass in general is problematic in this genre or other genres as well. Play an A on the bass and then play a D, you are gonna notice the D will rattle the house while the A won't so much and you need a consistent low end. In this kind of genre, which is metalcore by the way, controlling the low end is harder because the style is really technical and fast paced and you can't really get note definition. You will still get the bass sound only it's dirtier so to speak. It's not a blues or country song where bass is an articulate instrument and can even take a leading role, in this style of music bass is the link between the drums and the guitars, you can't really hear it in such a DENSE mix but if you take it away you are gonna miss it a lot.

You seem to point out radio music in your reply and I can't see why radio music is such a bad thing, in all honesty gone are the times when someone creates Bohemian Rhapsody, The Wall or any other similar stuff. We live in a fast paced moment and people want music to go right in. It's the harsh reality unfortunately.

What genres do you listen to?

Ps: I meant Dense mix, as in crowded, not as a Dance mix :)
  6. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Tue 13th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago Just to further clarify the preprocessing thing...I generally tend to do it on problematic, poorly recorded instruments ir when I mix down multiple tracks to a stereo pair, like the choir example above. In this case I did it on the bass as well.

If an instrument is properly recorded I will NOT preprocess it. The point here is that I'm used to work in analog and sessions are ussually above 100 tracks while we only have 48 faders on the console so basically we kinda have to preprocess(premix if you will) some of the stuff. I kept that habit in the digital domain as well.

Let me give you an example...you have 2 guitars recorded each with 2 amps and 2 mics on the cabinet, that gives you a totall of 8 tracks, now if you wanna mix down those 8 tracks to 2 tracks...one for the left and one for the right and those guitars and poorly recorded, lets say one mic has to much bass, the other has to much body noise, the other has a lot of pick noise etc. and you don't preprocess them you'll have a hard time fixing those problems once everything is only on 2 tracks due to all the harmonics that overlap. So basically trying to fix that guitar that had to much bass will affect the guitar that had the bass right and viceversa.

Do I always do it? No i do not. There are plenty of songs I mix where I barely touch an eq and add a couple of effects then do the automation and it sounds good. It starts at the source and if the source is good then all is good. Unfortunatelly we don't aleays work with files that were recorded in a million dolar studio and we have to fix things in the mix or before we start the mix.
  7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 14th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago @Mahloo - How on earth did you get Pro Tools to record the screen and audio? I've been trying to make it work for ages but the sound never comes through!

Brado
  8. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Wed 14th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago Mahloo, Thanks for discussing some details of your work. I would label myself still as an amateur music-creator myself (at least considering all non-classical genres that I am trying to 'produce' here on Looperman) - not that much focused on getting this 'commercial' radio sort of sound.

Here is an example of my older organ recording - just a raw, not processed or mastered one (performed by myself):
    https://soundcloud.com/user-882866857/j-s-bach-inventio-f-bwv-779

Also there is a Rock track I have made 'online' with ferryterry some time ago: https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/167571 - the simple bassline here is a synthesized bass I played. So as you see I preffer a sharp and realistic kind of sound with lots of overtones.
  9. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Wed 14th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago Each style of music is different, and requires different processing. I like a nice articulate bass sound as well unfortunately in this kind of music it ain't really posible. It's just way to fast paced and it clashes with all that double and triple time kick drum hits.

And there is no need for thanks, I love everything related to sound, music, mixing and it's derivatives.

Cheers!
  10. 631823
    Mahloo13 : Wed 14th Sep 2016 : 1 year ago @Bradosanz - i ran a pair of outputs from the pt rig into a secondary soundcard which i use for recording the sound of the video. Depending on your ProTools version you could try something like Voicemeeter which is kind of a virtual asio driver and the use it's output to record with your favourite screen recorder. I prefer running a pair of outputs to a secondary audio interface/soundcard and record that.
Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Trap Track