Mono Compatibility Finally Fixed

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Tue 2nd Aug 2016 : 6 years ago

Hey guys I just wanted to share this with you. It's a milestone for me. My mono compatibility always sucked bad when it came to using stereo pianos, guitars, and strings. Literally those 3 would disappear on me with a heavy mix such as a rock, or metal mix whenever I flipped the master to mono.

I finally got tired of it and began to work on it hard. Eventually I found the answer to my prayers. It turned out that routing the problematic tracks to an xtra track set to mono, and blending it in to taste, while also readjusting the overall gain back to previous levels would fix it once and for all.

Mono sound is unaffected when you switch the master from stereo to mono, so I gave my tracks a little bit of that. The combinations of the 2 signals made it loud enough in mono while also sounding stereo while on stereo.

Well that's what I did and it worked. What do you guys do to fix your mono incompatibilities?

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 2nd Aug 2016 : 6 years ago

It sounds like you are sacrificing the low range of your track by placing a mono version of every track in the mix. This could be part of why your bass is not pleasing you, as referenced in your other thread.

Since I know you are using FL studio, I will ask what you are using as stereo panning and width controls in the FL mixer. My guess... you are using the basic pan control above the fader, and you use the stereo width control to add width to stereo tracks.

My recommendations... Don't use the basic pan knob for anything except true mono sound sources. Don't use the stereo width control except for 100% wet effect sends. Use FL's stereo shaper to pan stereo signals if needed.

If you end up responding, I will try to explain why I recommend these things... which I may have explained to you before.

3. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Tue 2nd Aug 2016 : 6 years ago

I do pan and use the default stereo separation knobs. What do you mean by sacrificing my low end when I have not done anything to the bass itself for mono compatibility?

You just reminded me about that. I do remember one time you were talking about the panning buttons, but I don't think I fully understood.

''My recommendations... Don't use the basic pan knob for anything except true mono sound sources. Don't use the stereo width control except for 100% wet effect sends. Use FL's stereo shaper to pan stereo signals if needed.''

I don't think I fully understand the consequences of your paragraph above.

Would you care to elaborate?

4. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 2nd Aug 2016 : 6 years ago

By creating a mono copy of your stereo signals, you are essentially placing everything in the center, where most often would be placed bass and vocals (and possibly kick drums). This will have disastrous effects on the mix, by allowing masking of signals which should otherwise be separated in various ways.

The panning knob in the FL mixer works by combining one side into the other. For example, panning 100% left will cause the output of the mixer track to be the sum of the left and right of a stereo signal. I have had this alone cause phase problems, even when the track is solo. However, if a signal routed to the mixer track is true mono (in the case of FL, the left and right side are exactly the same) then you will not notice any problems with the pan knob, since combining one thing with the identical other thing will not cause phase or stereo issues. Remember, for the mixer track to be mono, there can not be any plugins loaded to it which will cause a difference between left and right, otherwise it becomes stereo.

On my default template, I have begin with eight mixer tracks dedicated for mono signals, where I only route mono things, or things which I will make mono with a plugin. With these I use the panning knobs controlled by one bank of my nanokontrol. Then I have eight mixer tracks dedicated to stereo use. On these I place a fruity stereo shaper plugin in the last plugin slot. I control these with another bank on my nanokontrol, with a formula which adjusts the two center faders (left and right channel volume) in opposite directions, and only at 0 db and below. In this way, my nanokontrol knob acts as a full range panning knob, but using the stereo shaper in this way allows placement of a stereo signal without blending one channel into the other.

The reason I don't recommend the stereo width controls, is that they by nature induce phase/delay differences between the left and right channels. It is very likely that this will cause a lack of mono compatibility.

I hope this has made my reply a bit more clear.

5. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Tue 9th Aug 2016 : 6 years ago

Yep thanks.

6. 1819633
    acesmith : Tue 9th Aug 2016 : 5 years ago

I know now that I don't actually know much about music making

7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 9th Aug 2016 : 5 years ago

SadGhoster87, why do you feel that way?

8. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Sun 14th Aug 2016 : 5 years ago

He probably feels the same way I did when I first found out about mono compatibility lol. That whole phasing deal can be so confusing.

It all started when I said 'what does this button do' and some tracks lost about 75% volume in mono lol. I didn't think it was a big deal cuz you know who cares about mono, but there is actually more mono than you'd think real life.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.