My Headphones Are Dying

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago Hey there Loopers,

So after a great 3 years, my headphones are finally starting to pack in. As usual, it is the cord connecting to my audio interface thats giving me problems and we all know the prognosis from there (no amount of tape in the world can save them now). So...I am hoping to get a couple suggestions from my fellow musicians on acquiring new set.

Im currently looking at:

Behringer HPX4000
    Sennheiser HD 201
    AKG - K77

This is my general price-range, so please dont suggest Sennheiser HD25 and whatnot. Its not gonna happen. Yet.
    I am looking for closed back phones to use whilst recording vocals and for my initial mixing.

If any of you guys use these brands, Id also value your input on how long they last and freq response.
    Bear in mind, my "studio" is mobile and I setup in a number of different places, so assume more-than-usual wear-and-tear will happen.

Thanks in advance.
    Zee
  2. 1558798
    cassiusc : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago Hey my suggestion is to get the Sony Mdr 7506 for 100 dollars, they have a great price performance ratio, imho
  3. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago Look for something with "field serviceable parts".

The ATH-M50x I got have a removable cord and replaceable ear-pads. I understand $160 is out of the question, but surely there are other, more affordable options with these qualities. My cord has not left the back of my interface since I bought it, since I can detach at the phones and leave the cord there, waiting till I come back, while using another cord for MP3 player and other stuff.

Driver size is a big factor not to be overlooked. Also, I'd go and try some on at Guitar Center, or the like. Bad fitting headphones can make you hate the process.

Hope this helps a bit.

Evan
  4. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago @Evisma - the price for the M50x has dropped significantly! On eBay I found them brand-new for 120 dollars! http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50-Professional-Studio-Headphones-Straight-Cable-w-Case-/311483502910?hash=item4885dd113e:g:LIwAAOSwEgVWSoW0

I would STRONGLY suggest getting those headphones, they really do blow the competition out of the water, especially for the price.

Brado
  5. 1418458
    CorruptionEDM : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago If you cannot afford the ATH-M50x, look at the ATH-M40x. They offer extremely similar performance for a cheaper price. They also have a removable cable and a very similar build! And if price is a real big consideration, refurbished may be a good match for you.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M40X-ATHM40X-Closed-Back-Dynamic-Monitor-Headphones-/231587936046?hash=item35ebb7772e:g:vJgAAOSwCypWnROI
  6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago If you're looking for durability and want the best sound quality (there is actually a significant difference in performance between the two builds, I've compared them myself in-store and seen their frequency spectrum sheets), the M50x is the best way to go. You can get them refurbished for 100$ flat. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Audio-Technica-ATH-M50x-Professional-Monitor-Headphones-/331590507175?hash=item4d34559aa7:g:73gAAOSwbYZXfnTn

Of course, there is a 40$ difference in price, but the edge you get with the M50x makes it worth. Better low-end and high-end response. The choice is yours.

Brado
  7. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 21st Jul 2016 : 1 year ago Why closed back only?..until you've checked out open backed headphones you haven't experienced the added air and space this design affords the listener... http://www.gradolabs.com/ very affordable models right up to the stratosphere, since I bought some grados I've become a total convert to open backed design.
  8. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 22nd Jul 2016 : 1 year ago @Planet

I thought open-back headphones were more apt to bleed into a mic when recording vocals. Not sure where I heard that, but I always thought it made sense.
  9. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 22nd Jul 2016 : 1 year ago That's true mate they do leak some sound so for recording vocals maybe not the best choice here, but for any other application they rule in my book, and then it's a slippery slope in the signal out chain, sure you can plug them into an ipad and audio interface but to get the best response a serious DAC or Preamp is required..ahh the never ending quest for sonic truth, it's enough to drive anyone crazy! (or into debt)
  10. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 22nd Jul 2016 : 1 year ago @Evan

You are correct in saying they bleed more into the mic; this is true. I personally bought closed-back because my old house used to be very noisy and it was nice to block them out for a few hours :P

Brado
  11. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Fri 22nd Jul 2016 : 1 year ago you could replace the cord, soldering is quite easy. For cheap ones I like the Sony MDR V150s $30 but I did get a set of those ATH-M50x with 3 removable cords (perfect for preventing current problem again, just get a new cord)with a soft case and mic with hardcase included. I think $120 crystal clear sound from them :D
  12. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Fri 22nd Jul 2016 : 1 year ago Thanks a ton guys.

Seems Im going to have to save up a little bit longer for the ATH M50x. But it looks like it will be worth it.

The big problem with a lot of your suggestions, is finding suppliers out here in SA. These headphones are still retailing for around $175 (converted exchange rate) this side of the equator. Thats roughly 2.5k in South Africa. My last pair only cost me around 1100, so I will just double my budget. (No pubs for a couple weeks!!)

@Planet - I already have a pair of open back phones. Everyone should have a pair. It really makes all the difference when mixing (in my case).
Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Electronic Track