Hmm Windows 10

Posts 1 - 25 of 36
  1. 589130
    Spd2 : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Hey folks, I am hoping you can shed some light on Windows 10. I'm not computer savvy like some, but I'm not illiterate either. From a technical stand point, I don't know how it compares to it's predecessors, which, of course, is why I am researching so I can better understand it. I'm currently using Windows 8.1, and I'm pacing back and forth about upgrading.

I've been reading different contents about many people's dreadful experience with Windows 10, while others swear by it. Still, my thoughts ponder in my head. Cortana raises one eye brow about my privacy, but I could just be simply paranoid. Will it effect my music production in a negative or positive way. I guess I won't know until I switch over, eh.

Which is why I ask, should I fix what's not broken? I guess even if I did, I can easily switch back. I just think it'll be a pain in the arse reverting to its prior OS. What's your thought? Share your experience. Convince me, or save me.
  2. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I'm still on windows 7, why fix what's not broken? I have a couple co workers that went to windows 10, they don't do music though, and didn't like it. You could try it and always revert back as time is running out for the free upgrade.
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I have never used windows 10. Like phatkatz, I'm on windows 7 still for my main studio. For the general purpose/internet computer, we made the mistake of getting a dell with windows 8 installed. The first virus scan found the NSA backdoor, and ever since, windows of any kind has been inoperable on this computer. We were basically forced to linux, and even windows 7 will not run as a virtual desktop. I don't think that I would get windows ten personally... life is long and software updates regularly.
  4. 1051376
    mildperil : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Personally, I really like W10. But then again, my windows install is very rarely online (if only to check for updates and confirm software licences) so it runs really smoothly with virtually no hitches or glitches (touch wood.)

I'll be honest though, I didn't like it at first and was so close to pulling the trigger and reverting back to 7, but I really quite like it now.

In my opinion, it's a lot lot better than 8 or 8.1. I really like 7 and wouldn't hesitate to use it again, but 10 has definitely grown on me.
  5. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Software companies try to keep us buying and upgrading so they continue making a profit. I've already spent a fortune on music software and would hate to upgrade operating systems only to have to pay again for something that's working fine for me as is. Besides I like windows 7, been using it since it came out. I got a free Dell laptop with 8 so the first thing I did was install 7.
    Spivkurl wiping the hard drive and installing a clean copy of windows doesn't fix that dell? What about a new hard drive? I'm no expert but that's how I fix most software issues on mine and the ones I bring home from my dump job. Hardware issues are a different story.
  6. 1231236
    joecramer : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I am on Win 10 and it is not that bad :)
    I was on XP for years and then they stopped support.
    I found a cheap Win 8.0 Pro version for only 50 Euros and updated it to Win 8.1 cause Win 8 is/was really shitty Now i found a full version for Win 10 Pro and i could use the Win 8 key. So it's ok, ... lets see how long i can use it :)
    But in fact Win 10 is almost same in handling now like XP and much better then Win 8
  7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago It reverted in some ways back to the older style of Windows which was my favorite things. Windows 8 was trying too hard to be something it wasn't and ended up being a bit of a mess in my opinion. Windows 10 reverts back to the old behavior of Windows that we all grew to know and love (Think Windows 7), just cleaner, a bit faster and most of all - newer.

Brado
  8. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I've used all Windows versions from 98 onwards, and with the purchase of a new computer rig hosting windows 8.1 pro I had the same concerns, updating to 10 pro was the best thing in my windows experience so far, windows is still windows under all the fancy window dressing (pardon the pun), lets speak about that dressing for a moment ala Cortana..what you have to do in windows 10 is turn it into a power user platform and that means turning off every app like Cortana,there are heaps of tutorials online to facilitate this (Google tweaking windows 10 for music production), their put there to facilitate interconnectivity with mobile apps etc, and are intrusive and admittedly they are a pain in the arse for anyone solely concerned with music production and not glued to their mobile phone 24/7....however once everything is squared away you'll really dig windows 10 it's just more efficiently laid out and if you have a dedicated SSD drive for the operating system you'll really be cooking with gas.
  9. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 8th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago We've formatted a couple of times and reinstalled windows of a couple different versions before resorting to ubuntu... then, like I mentioned no version of windows will run in things like VirtualBox. It's weird, but I've heard the same report from other dell customers around the time of windows 8.
  10. 630386
    JosephFunk : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago All new release of Windows have never been ready. The real testing begins is when you get it in your hands. Early Beta copies serve mostly developers and OEM's. Now the goal for shipping release copies of Windows is to patch it so that it stable enough for global OEM customer deployments while not publicly disclosing any show stopping bugs and major conflicts that could not be repaired or fixed in time for the official release date. Now Windows 7 to this very day has been rigorously tested hard by users and developers, battle tested, fried, baked, scrambled and put back together again in a way that makes it a bit more reliable and fixable. There is a wealth of information available about Win 7 to fix almost anything wrong with Win7. Pretty much slim pickings with Win 10 right now but give it some time.

Windows 10 Spyware, well Microsoft does not want you to call it that but news broke about its secret spyware back in November 2015. It is administered through a couple of ambiguous services, config files, registry settings and firewall allowances. Microsoft preys mostly on the unintentional ignorance of its users and customers. You cannot find these things very easily and anyways you agreed to allow them to do this in the EULA you agreed to, you know, that long agreement no one reads, so they got their butts covered if you think you can sue them.

Current Windows 10 spyware bundled includes: A Telemetry reporter, A WAP pusher (A WAP Push is a specially encoded message that includes a link to a Windows Access Point address), Secret Domain listing in the "HOSTS" file, Firewall tracking I.P. rules exceptions that is meant to bypass your firewall just for Microsoft only, and Automatic Sample submission. And whatever you do, do not use Microsoft OneDrive (cloud). Major snooping there of your personal files.

Conclusion: Do what you feel that works best for you, I am merely sharing info that is all. If Windows 10 works for you then I say go for it. Although the free upgrade ends this July 2016, support for Windows 7 goes until the year 2020 and by then I expect Win 10 to be a lot more stable and friendlier for music apps, DAW's and VST's. Having worked in the industry, unless you have a specific app that demands Windows 10, there really is no need to upgrade. Because it looks better is not a real reason.
  11. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Just another point, using a new operating system doesn't make your music sound any better though it may make your efficiency increase, my audio quality sounds the same under XP as Win10 and that's obviously got more to do with your audio interface and patch cables etc, a lot of people will be more concerned with how Win10 supports their audio interfaces and DAWs so a little research is in order, I've had no issues whatsoever, the bottom line is making music with as least hassles as possible, companies like Microsoft, Macintosh, facebook, Google etc all have huge R&D operations and want your patronage, money and possibly your soul, but all that's important is keeping your focus on what hardware you use and how efficiently your software works with it, a computer is just hardware after all.
  12. 1378797
    GregVincey : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago This is a tough one bro! I have been getting notification on my laptop to upgrade too windows 10 for a while now, and I'm still thinking about it. I love new, and improve upgrades. I even saw the pictures, it looks pretty awesome. I think you should try it out, but 1st, back up all your music, and projects on a flash drive as backup.
  13. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago @PBJ

You are incorrect in this statement. Audio drivers continuously improve as software and hardware improve, so saying that XP and Win10 have the same sound is a flawed thought process. I can physically hear the difference in recording quality. It's very subtle, but makes a huge difference in overall quality.
  14. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago @Brado maybe your right man, but be it 32bit 4800mhz, 16bit 44mhz, whatever in wav or mp3 all sound the same as they originally did irrespective of the OS, I'm only interested in what my brains doing through my instruments, I maybe able to get better a quality sample rate depending on the interface but I'm using a good one now and have no issues.
  15. 851137
    crucethus : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I'm just gonna put it out there!

Linux Bitches!!!!!

And if I need Windows I run it in virtualbox free of all the BS crap. @Brado, the OS will not make a better sound but the sound card and the how you use the soundcard with software will get you the most out of it. Hell even Atari riot 2000 went back to their old equipment because they know how to make their best sounds using it. Software getting the most out of the soundcard is the key.
    Crulicious
  16. 1414881

I only say you're incorrect because I have heard the difference in soundcards/audio interfaces between XP and Windows 10. The difference is major to my ears. XP cannot support my MBox 3 because it does not recognize the drivers for my interface. Windows 10 had no problem doing so. Therefore, improved soundcards and better technology can only mean a better sound. Saying that XP and Windows 10 still sound the same when mixed down to WAV would be incorrect because if you start off with subpar software, you can have the best equipment in the world but it will not be at it's full potential when running through old software. Just my two cents.

@Cru

Yes, I was referring to the sound card. :3

While the OS itself does not make a better sound, it *allows* better soundcards by the mere fact that it is newer, so therefore a better sound would be expected from newer technology than with older software. The audio and interface drivers I am currently using with Windows 10 would be useless on my XP computer, and that is only because it is an outdated OS, that's all I'm saying haha

Brado
  17. 589130
    Spd2 : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Awesome response with very good pointers from all of you. Windows 8.1 has grown on me, although I still prefer Vista because of its simpler navigation experience IMO. I'm only using 8.1 because it came attached to my new PC. I'm somewhat familiar with XP, although I've never used it for music production. Thank you all for sharing your thoughts with me, it should make me sleep a bit better if and when I upgrade :)
  18. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Brado I'm not trying to be argumentative but lets get a few things straight, audio is played (and I'm talking about listening through a dedicated audio interface not the internal chipset card of a laptop) through the digital to analog converters in any given audio/midi interface, whatever drivers are suitable for that device make absolutely no difference to it's performance it's either going to work or not.. so it follows if your interface works with an older version of windows it's going to sound the same, the only possible difference will be determined by the sample rate of the audio, if your going to be listening to music through a laptop properly it's necessary to have a dedicated DAC headphone amp or interface.
  19. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago Back to the topic...

I use windows 10 and it's great. I use my laptop mainly for music and watching the occasional tv show and that's it. For those things, it's quite alright. I have less vst crashes and rendering is a lot faster (praise black jesus!). My laptop also boots up waaay faster since the upgrade. Personally, I like it. If you're moving from windows7 then the switch to 10 will be seamless.
  20. 1414881

No worries, this is just a good discussion. Regardless of what interface you are using to record (not listen) with, it *still* has to be interpreted and rendered by the sound drivers within your computer system before it can be stored onto the computer and played back to you. Therefore, whatever artifacting (however small) it has on rendering is what will make a newer system potentially sound better, and an older system sound potentially not as good.

Brado
  21. 1414881

A simple search of the internet will reveal that soundcards do indeed play an important part in improving audio. You can have the same sample rate for a given piece of audio or same settings during your recording, but a better soundcard will render a better sounding recording than a poor soundcard. Works just like graphics cards, better graphics cards can player games on higher settings than cheaper graphics cards - its the same game, but rendering is different due to the card used to interpret, store and manipulate the information it is given.
  22. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I very rarely make multiple posts to labour a point home Brado so without any disrespect...I'll explain it one more time, my interface a Presonus Firestudio Project works with Xp, Vista, 7 ,8 and now on 10 you have to install different drivers for the different OS which are supplied by Presonus but the unit's output audio functionality remains exactly the same......phew this is my last post.
  23. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I would have to agree with PJB that OS alone has little to do with audio quality or fidelity. I recently got a different interface for my main studio (on windows 7), so I am using my focusrite scarlett 2i2 on my windows xp box in the second studio. I am getting just as good of recordings from the interface inputs on the much older operating system. You cannot upgrade everything in your studio computer, and then give the OS all of the credit for any improvement. It rarely is what has improved fidelity.
  24. 1231236
    joecramer : Thu 9th Jun 2016 : 1 year ago I don't know if all know it already -
    You don't have to update to win 10
    there is a full version out from Microsoft that you can install with (at least) the key from win 8 and win 8.1
    So you only need a fresh hdd or ssd and hold all your stuff on your old storage .....
  25. 1414881

I wonder if it maybe due to the interfaces used. The makers of the MBox 1 stopped supporting that interface around Windows 8, which I then purchased an MBox 3. I will not retract that my sound quality has improved as a result of a better soundcard that accompanies newer computers, because my interface has been the same for 3 generations of Windows and I can hear the difference. We shall have to agree to disagree, then :)

@Spiv

I was not referring to the OS alone making all the difference, but that it permits higher quality/newer soundcards, which actually do play a major role in final render of any track. :)

Lovely discussion!
Posts 1 - 25 of 36

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Pop Track