STUDIO MONITORS

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 1233707
    joeldarapguy : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago Hi guys, so my uncle handed me down a pair of "studio monitors" and another pair of regular speakers for extra sound and a reciever. i setup the reciever and plugged the monitors in and the sound produced was really echo-ey/reverb-ey. in general the sound quality was bad. i tried with the other speakers and they have the same effect but not as bad. im wondering if its the reciever itself. maybe the speakers are faulty or maybe they aren't even studio monitors, idk. is there a way to tell if speakers are "studio monitors"? thanks in advance.i don't know much about studio monitors so ANY help would be greatly appreciated
  2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago Do you have a model name? You could search it online, see what those speakers were designed for. You could also upload a picture of them here so we can see and give some advice.

Brado
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago Regarding the reverby sound, make sure that there are no "sound field" sort of effects enabled on the receiver. In general, I would not use a receiver to power studio monitors... this leads me to wonder if they are actually just "hi-fi" stereo speakers. That is, if they were a set to begin with.

If you have not used speakers, but only headphones for mixing and stuff, then your room acoustics may be messing with what you hear. Speaker decoupling and room treatment is pretty much the only way to change that.

Then there is the most important question... when you hooked these up, were you monitoring a signal from a microphone? That will pick up the sound from the speakers and feed it back into the input, and so on. This is not much of an issue when using headphones.

Brado gave good advice about looking up the brand and model. Even just the brand may give you a clue, as some brands only make one type or the other.
  4. 1233707
    joeldarapguy : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago the one's at i assume are the monitors are the "Dynaco ESS" but i cant find anything on that. the other one's (small speakers, has like a cave in on the bottom for a stand i assume) from Acoustic Audio, not sure the specific brand. also not sure how to upload a picture here lol @Brado
  5. 1233707
    joeldarapguy : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago no there weren't any effects enabled. maybe you're right, they're probably Hi-Fi speakers. but i wouldn't know like i said I'm barely introducing myself to stuff like this. No, a microphone took no place in setting up the speakers. i wired them in, plugged it into my computer, played a song and the results were the way i described. could it be that the speakers have internal damage? the outside is 9/10 condition. @SpivKurl
  6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago Damage to the cones usually shows up as sort of a rattling distortion, often with loss of frequency reproduction, at least in my experience. If there is a cover for the speakers, you can usually remove it and do a quick inspection of the cones from the front. It's not the only thing which can go wrong, but it is possible.

Also, try to find the label which tells you the impedance rating for the cabinets. If you can find it, make sure that the receiver is rated for the same. Mismatch can cause problems sometimes.

I looked up Dynaco on ebay (that's where I visit if normal web searches don't find info on a vintage item, as it usually gives some clues). It does seem like this brand is targeted at stereo hi-fi markets, then again, so is a receiver. The big plus, is that that brand of speakers seems to have some resale value!

The acoustic audio are most likely newer from what I've seen, and are marketed towards home audio/theatre and public address stuff. Also probably not the best choice for monitoring.

I used some small peavey PA speakers for a while in the studio, but to get them anywhere near decent, I had to replace the woofers. Still was not ideal. Any more, I would chose decent headphones connected to an audio interface headphone amp over home audio or PA speakers, hands down. I was only working with what I had.

A better way to test the response of the speakers would be to hook to the receiver, and connect it up with you audio interface output. Then use your DAW to create a sin wave. Start the frequency so high, that you can't hear it... then slowly lower the frequency. This will give you some idea of the high frequency response. Then keep lowering it until the low frequency sin wave is no longer audible, or it starts to rattle or distort from the woofer. You can take notes of the high and low frequency range, if you have the ability to see the frequency in the sine generator you are using. Also, notice weak or harsh areas in the sweep range. It's not super-professional, but it may give you an idea if it would be any good for monitor use.
  7. 1899257
    Labelwhore : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago I'd recommend against using a hi-fi receiver of any kind. If you have other choice but to use hi-fi speakers, then a simple amp is the way to go. What I mean by that is something like this:

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=stereo+amplifier&tbm=shop&spd=3089037224245571938

But this still should be a last resort. If you had to go out and buy one, you're better off saving the cash until you can afford some actual monitors, IMO.

You don't want anything that adds any EQ, or effects what-so-ever. Most receivers add some color by default, even when the effects are supposedly turned off. That's been my experience anyway.
  8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago I would agree with Labelwhore about the amplifier. You don't even need a super high end one. I've been using a pretty cheap power amp which I grabbed new about fifteen years ago. It still works fine, and coupled with a good pair of monitors it really sounds good. Most receivers have different EQ curves set up on the various inputs for reproduction from specific mediums. Also they do not usually have standard input jacks.
  9. 1233707
    joeldarapguy : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago yeah my dad has a better reciever i might just try them out on his. if they give the same effect then oh well. are there any specific monitors you guys recommend? nothing too expensive or big but can get the job done. thanks for everything guys
  10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago I've been using Alesis Monitor One MK2 for the last few years. No complaints at all in their performance. I bought them to work well with the amplifier that I already had.

I still do a lot in headphones of course, but mainly for privacy and respect for the family. Most people don't want to hear variations of a modular synth riff repeating for several hours straight. I find it relaxing.

Really, whatever you use, getting to know it's strengths and weaknesses is all important. Once you can expect how what you are hearing will translate when the song is played on other systems is going to help your mixing quite a bit.
  11. 1899257
    Labelwhore : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago I actually have a pair of M-Audio AV3s that I like. Got them super cheap when Comp USA went bust. They're active monitors, so you don't need to mess with an amp.

I've had them for years, but just started having an issue with (I believe) the amp. I noticed that if I leave them on all day they start to crackle once the amp heats up. I do a ton of DIY electronics stuff, so I'll probably open them up and see if it's just a leaky capacitor. More than likely a $0.50 fix.

So yeah, I think I paid $100 for them and have got about 4 or 5 years of use out of them so far. Seems worth it.
  12. 1899257
    Labelwhore : Tue 31st May 2016 : 1 year ago ...also the AV3s are small, most people don't like that. But I guarantee you, I've never bothered the neighbors with them.
Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Blues Track