Does It Ever Frustrate You

Posts 1 - 17 of 17
  1. 1492580
    PapaNelson : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

Okay, take this with a pinch of salt because I've been somewhat frustrated lately with the way songs are treated nowadays.

ANYWAYS, Does it ever frustrate you when you put your heart and soul into a project that actually sounds really good, and then nobody hears it because it's being covered up by half assed instrumentals with half assed lyrics?

Because it really frustrates me lol. The worst part is, you can't even tell if its good or bad because nobody has heard it. There have been times when a track of mine that I've worked on for weeks never even got played. And that's not even the worst worst part. The reason why alot of people are getting practically ignored on these websites is because of the sheer quantity of music that is uploaded every hour. There are literally soundcloud profiles that just spam the same fucking song just so it can get played more.

Now I understand that I'm being selfish here lol, I want my music to be heard more than others. But I'm being honest here. Everybody is waiting on their big break into the music business. Maybe I'm just impatient. Maybe I'm stupid for pursuing this career in the first place. And by the way, this isn't a self pity thing. I don't want sympathy. I just want to be heard.

I'm rambling like I usually do, and this post was spur of the moment so excuse me if my thoughts are like all over the place. Idk guys. I'm just asking if it ever frustrates you i guess. This constant search to be merely heard. For your music to be given a chance.

I'm sorry if I come off as super conceited or something. I wasn't trying to put that impression. anywho, I'm going to continue to create music because, yknow, patience and persistence is key. Can't give up because of some setnacks or frustrations lol. And I will continue to improve and hopefully stand amongst some of the greats haha.

Thank you for reading my rant looperman community :D, you guys are literally sometimes the reason why I keep going. I love this community lol. Much love to you all, and I hope you all have a great day! Peace!

2. 279071
    Darkangell : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

I Totally understand , its just as you say , a lot more music these days , in this battle i find the best way is really to advertise if you have faith in your music ,otherwise we take our chances being lost in the sea of artist,trying to grind out fans , its a constant job.lol :P

3. 1231236
    joecramer : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

I really can understand where you came from but i am not sure if this - there is so much music these days - is correct and the real problem.
    In the older times there wasn't any internet at all and if you made music there wasn't any place where you could put songs and wait for some one to listen to it. You needed to go around and play live. And for getting a chance to play you needed someone who listen to your music before and tell the owner of a club or so that you are a cool one/group. You had to travel around and send post and pay for tapes and maybe for a LP that no one ever buyed and and and .....
    In fact it was hader to get heard, cause right now you can do the same like years before AND use the internet.
    I really don't believe that today are more musician around then 30 years ago, cause when i was a young boy (35 years ago) EVERY boy where in a group :)
    The difference to today is only the point that now EVERYBODY believe that he should be the next superstar :)

But like said before, i can understand that it is a little frustrating when you see that someone with some really bad music (in your eyes) get much more listener then you with your super cool and extremely great stuff.
    Just remember that the most of them will also never be a superstar even with 10.000 plays (you need a few millions streamed plays for getting a few 1000 dollars)

but never give up and try not to lose the hope :)
    music should be your love and love don't need any money or attention from others

4. 1564425
    Rasputin : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

The secret is: Your stuff has to be BETTER than the spam shit that's going up. That has always been the trick of show business. You have to literally be better than your competition. It's not always a sure deal or a fast process, but that's the way to aim. If you are consistently better than your competition, you WILL get noticed.

5. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

I have to ask a question and I don't imply any disrespect here but how old are you? I'm asking because it's relevant in terms of what you've already endured and what your likely to endure in the future, it's a sliding scale for all creative types depending on the dimensions of 'how much of their soul is for sale' gland, I'm getting the idea that you feel some sort of entitlement should be coming your way, if this is the case your in for a very disappointing time, the fact that your venting your frustrations publicly has a tendency to auto sodomize any genuine righteousness on your behalf, I think the best thing you can do is concentrate on becoming an instant celebrity, youtube is your vehicle of choice here, do something outrageous, set fire to a grand piano and go over Niagara Falls naked yodelling God Save the Queen, anything is possible use your imagination, it doesn't take talent these days it's all about notoriety and how pretty you look (or how ugly) and if you survive and can play a few tunes all the better!

6. 588276
    StaticNomad : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

PlanetJ:

I also recommend the Coldplay route to success: marry a Hollywood actress eg Gwyneth Paltrow.

People will definitely take an interest in your music then.

7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

To be honest, I love his music anyways :3 Regardless of the wedding stuff :D

Brado

8. 691199
    Modnex : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

Like Joe was stating, the internet is not the only thing you need in order to get your music out there. The internet is just a way for your already made fans, to hear your new music out of the comfort of their own home. But, that's just it, you have to go out there and build your fan base before you can fully utilize those online tools.

Sure, you might get a few fans from the internet, but majority of your real fans are made outside of the internet. Rather it be, one of your concerts, playing your music in a club or perhaps just networking with people outside and telling them about yourself. All of these ways are the true ways to success and fame. Most of the people you see getting all of these plays on websites like soundcloud and youtube fall under one of two categories. Either one, the plays are coming from a fanbase they already have and built for themselves, in return getting more plays and fans by getting themselves on the top of the play list. Or two, they are illegally buying plays using one of many outside services to do so. Which in reality is getting them absolutely no where.

Most people like myself, only make music for fun. But, for people who want to go places like yourself, you have to make the first move. My suggestion is start off by trying to get local gigs and move on from there. If you don't sing, you might want to take up djing, so you can at least dj your music at clubs and other places.

9. 1492580
    PapaNelson : Sun 15th May 2016 : 3 years ago

Honestly, thank you guys. Looking back I was a tad bit unreasonable looking at my situation. @Modnex, you are very correct. if I'm truly dedicated to making this work, I can't just rely on the internet. I gotta, so they say, spread my wings or some shit. And @planetjazzbass I'm over 18 but younger than 30 (: I'm not super ecstatic about putting my age out there lol. But I completely see where your coming from. Thank you (: Tbh, I don't want to be a superstar, or maybe i do and it's just sub conscious, I honestly just want to be heard i guess. It was just a little frustrating to get 0 plays here and there. But I can't expect to suddenly be an instant hit lol. It's all about consistency and quality lol. I'll probably type a better response later, but atm I'm rushing to get ready for work. But I really do appreciate all the advice here. Thank you guys for replying, it honestly means the world (: Much love!

10. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Mon 16th May 2016 : 3 years ago

Something that might help is to do covers of popular/new songs and post them on YouTube, or try out for contests! I've had several opportunities to get signed to major labels but life has just not permitted me to say yes to such offers. I don't mind of course, as everything happens for a reason. All I've learned is that being consistent with your drive and energy is what will set you apart from the the pack. Did you know famous artists like Taylor Swift (love her or hate her) spent 5+ years going unnoticed and playing at different local venues, even going so far as to move an entire family from their home just so that she could have a chance at success? After all those years of performing as a nobody, Taylor Swift exploded into stardom once she got her first major sign and she hasn't stopped. Love her or hate her, she has some extremely popular music and makes a ton of money off of it. But she didn't have an easy road, and this is typically the norm for any major artist today. Just food for thought. It's a high risk, high reward game imo.

Brado

11. 1378797
    GregVincey : Fri 20th May 2016 : 3 years ago

Aye Nelephant, whats good man!

Listen man! You are thinking to much, relax, breathe. Why are you concern with these other artist and what they have? I mean, the fame looks cool, but is it, all it is too your existence? I love artistry, but I'm also working on myself too. Am beginning to learn and understand more about myself, taking it a day at a time. And am grateful man, to the amazing people I meet online and in the world; family, friends. They play a big part in my life ^-^

12. 1018990
    scepticist : Sat 21st May 2016 : 3 years ago

I'm sometimes quite frustrated about my music, but have got used to the fact I still have a little audience. I know that a few professionals sometimes listen. And I'm glad I'm not totally ignored..

You've got more plays on your tracks than me here on Looperman. So I think you don't really have to bother.. :-D

13. 1754224
    milesatdenver : Sat 21st May 2016 : 3 years ago

check me out ill check you out whats your soundcloud? mine is Treeferlove,

ive been looking for some good new music lately

14. 1867113
    1noahmcgrath1 : Mon 23rd May 2016 : 3 years ago

Nelephant,

So many non-career producers get frustrated when their tracks are not generating enough popularity, and its a bummer to see people stop producing because of it. I think too many people lose sight of the fact that producing music is a really cool thing, and there is something to be said about using a bunch of buttons and a big ass brain to create something that you can sit back and enjoy.

Not to get all weird or emotional, but passion is really what fuels the creativity and focus needed to produce music, especially when you are sitting in front of a computer for forever. One of the things that make artists popular is their unique sounds, and that does not come by spitting out tracks to gain popularity. It comes when you are having fun with your own sounds.

For years my great uncle played auxiliary brass for the Rolling Stones. He told me not too long ago that creating music is to engage yourself with a clear head, and listening to music is to lose yourself with a cold beer. Both sound pretty good to me.

I am a bit younger and have less experience then you all and don't really have practical advise to give per se (as you can see by my bare profile). But everyone should remind yourself of the talent of the talent you have and continue to enjoy putting it to good use.

Happy composing!

15. 796294
    silverman : Tue 12th Jul 2016 : 3 years ago

I'm an old fart hobbyist so don't care to much. Be nice if a news channel paid for a thirty second piece or someone paid me for a thirty seconds section to sell beans but other than that I have no ambition whatsoever. My whole thing is making a tune that someone would want to listen to more than once. Maybe say to their friends hey listen to this. If I can achieve that I'm succeeding.
    We all have our foibles and irritaions and here's mine ....
    More and more people are saying .... enjoy.
    That really gets up my nose and puts me of listening because I reserve the right to not enjoy okay?
    More and more people are saying when leaving a comment on someone else's work ... and check my track out1
    That really gets on my wick and puts me off bothering to listen.

16. 1430167
    wordybum : Wed 13th Jul 2016 : 3 years ago

i use the internet to get to people i know are waiting for it online. i also use the internet for sites like this, where my regular fan base would NOT be. i look for unbiased feedback.

when i want everyone else to hear it i pound the pavement and do open mics so ppl can get a taste of it. i do not wait for a crowd. i demand one.

17. 219480
    CelloCubano : Wed 13th Jul 2016 : 3 years ago

If it sounds good people will come... just market the heck out of it

Posts 1 - 17 of 17

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads