What Are Your Other Talents

Posts 1 - 25 of 46
  1. 691199
    Modnex : Wed 11th May 2016 : 4 years ago

I know most people on this website have some sort of music talent, which is awesome! But I'm a bit curious to see what other talents people here possess besides music. For me, I'm a good voice actor and like to juggle. I only can juggle around three balls at the moment, but its very fun to do when I'm bored. :)

What can you guys do. Even if its weird like putting your tongue on your nose or biting your toe nails off, I would love to hear about it. (Wish I could do that lol)

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

Cool idea for a thread!

I have too many interests for my own good... Related to music, I like to build electronics and electro-acoustic instruments, especially from vintage parts or salvaged items. I also collect vintage musical toys and audio related items. I am obsessed with vintage organs of all types.

I have been learning organic gardening for nearly twenty years now, and have been finding some amount of success. I am fond of visual art and writing, and have been known to do both on occasion. Teaching myself the skills for home renovation while improving the home we live in, which was built in 1905. Recently finished my first restored hardwood floor room. I am an amatuer bonsai enthusiast. I make handcrafted tobacco blends. I am a practicing non-professional ethnobotanist. I dabble in self-taught shamanism. I spend a lot of time watching, feeding, identifying, and recording birds. I am an animal rights activist. I cook all the time now, and have developed quite a few of my own recipes. I do sewing by hand, and have been known to crochet at times. I enjoy target archery during the decent weather. I often buy and sell vintage radios for fun and profit.

I guess that's enough for now... heh

3. 1247377
    XyIlent : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

It scares me that i cant really think of anything haha.
    Im not too bad at the ol' photoshop. Is that a talent? sure why not. Lets go with that.

Aaannddd... thats it. Well, back to Fl Studio it is then.

4. 1247377
    XyIlent : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

Kinda glad i got through that post without making a joke referencing your enjoyment of handling balls Modnex.

... Damn it, couldn't resist haha

5. 691199
    Modnex : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

@Spivkurl, Wow those are some awesome talents. How did you get into the electronic building? That sounds like it would be very fun to do as a side project. You should post some of your music instrument creations on here. I for one, would sure love to see what you made and how it works. Would be even cooler to hear a song you made with one of your instruments.

Its nice to see that you're also interested in art outside of music. Having a mind for all forms of art deserves a thumbs up in my book. I love seeing individuals use their creativity in everything they possibly can regardless of what it may be. You sir get a virtual high five from me. As for the bird watching bit, that sounds pretty cool too. I'm sure you've seen lots of birds I've never even knew existed. Do you have any favorite birds out of all the ones you've seen? Would be interesting to learn more.

@Xyilent Photoshop most definitely counts as a talent! I do a little photoshop myself too, but didn't put it up there as a talent. As graphic design and web design is what pays the bills. So, I wanted to keep work out of it.

As For the balls, I prefer them small and round, thank you very much ;)

6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

I suppose I like to draw, take photographs, make videos and pretty much anything else that involves using my creativity. I particularly like learning new things - some have said I have a talent for picking things up really quickly but I don't even know if thats a talent, is it?

Brado

7. 691199

@BradoSanz Very nice! What do you like taking photographs of? Do you prefer monuments, people and places or a little bit of everything? I would say picking up things quickly is most certainly a talent as some people have a hard time grasping things fast. In fact, some people have a hard time getting a hang of things even at the slowest of pace, so good for you! :)

8. 1414881

@Modnex

Thanks Modnex! Quite encouraging! Concerning photos, pretty much everything :) I'm currently in the process of learning to swim - one of my closest friends in college is a lifeguard and swim instructor and she commented that I learned in a few hours what takes most people several days to learn. I didn't know if she was being honest or not until others told me the same thing. Haha. So I suppose it is then :3 Good to know!

9. 851137
    crucethus : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

My other talent is being a Cunning Linguist!
    ;-)

10. 1492580
    PapaNelson : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

Atm, I'm an expert at making Top Ramen. It's one of my prized talents. I hope to pursue a career in it one day lol. All jokes aside, I actually work at weddings with the DJ setting up all the sound, lighting, and photobooth. And (not to brag) but I've been told I'm pretty good at it (: I'm glad to see more posts like this man. Much love to ya!

11. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

@Cru

I hear you people are prone to neck-cramps. I hope you stretch before you orate.

What am I good at?
    Pretty short list, but Plant Identification is one thing I really pride myself on. I've been landscaping for 12 years now, and we really have to learn everything from plumbing to roofing, soil sampling and erosion control. Not knowing what the trees were called made me feel like an idiot. They're everywhere, but when I started, all I knew was that they were skinny at the bottom and bushy on top. Felt ignorant. Now, when my wife and I are at the park or walking the dogs or on a trail, we're both identifying trees and ground-cover and other what-not.

Sounds REEEEEALLY boring, I'm sure, but it just helps me feel more aware of what is around me.

I also work at Gizmonic Institute. Just another face in a red jumpsuit.

I also Hacky-Sak like MAD and will take any one of you on!!!!!

12. 691199

@Brado, Wow that's awesome! I once went swimming when I was younger. It didn't end so well.., haven't taken a bath since lol. On a serious note, learning swimming is always great skill to learn. Once you have it, there are so many thing you can do with it. So that's cool your friend is teaching it to you! Good luck and make sure you have fun!

@crucethus Lol, I was once classified as that too, that is until my dog die. It was fun while it lasted! ^__^

@Nelephant Man, I could use your expertise. My Ramen always come out fruity and soggy. That might be caused from using my mother's perfume as ingredients and eating it while its still emerged in water. Who knows? That's pretty cool you get to do all of those things. That sounds like fun and that can probably come in handy if you ever want to DJ your own music. Great for you!

@Evisma That doesn't sound boring at all. Knowing whats around you is always a great thing to know. Plus, learning more about mother nature and the environment we live in, can benefit everyone in the end, so cheers to that one! I would take you up on that Hacky-Sac challenge, but would probably land face first on the ground and I actually like my face, so I'll pass.

13. 851137
    crucethus : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

@evisma...what do you mean "You People?"

14. 1492580
    PapaNelson : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

@crucethus question, which definition of "cunning linguist" were you implying?

15. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

besides music I'm an all around handyman. I fix and build things. I fix cars, houses, electric guitars for friends, computers... been building cigar box (and other items like olive oil cans and cookie tin) guitars. Been dabbling in photoshop and animation a bit. Always messing with something :p

16. 987862
    Ep5ilon : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

@BradoSanz: "Some have said I have a talent for picking things up really quickly but I don't even know if thats a talent, is it?"

Firstly, I would call it a gift rather than a talent, but I could be wrong. Secondly, I've got it as well. I learnt to play most of the basic guitar chords at intermediate difficulty within 5-6 months.

@Evisma: 'I also Hacky-Sak like MAD and will take any one of you on!"

Bring it!

I've got remarkable hand-eye coordination skills, which is probably why I'm very good at badminton.

The musical ear - you may or may not know what it is, but I've got it. It's hard to explain. Again, I might be confusing a gift with a talent, although it could relate to my 'mental illness'.

Both of my thumbs are double-jointed. I can roll my tongue.

I have other talents. I just can't remember them.

17. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

I'm good at walking (yes, with an L) both fast and skilfully.

So, I can move very quickly through busy crowds without touching anyone (so, not shoving people out of the way as that would be cheating and rude).

I've always been quite evasive on my feet from playing various sports and I've kind of developed this into "public people dodging".

I'm able to move quickly from side to side without slowing down and enjoy studying the patterns of how people (in crowded places eg train stations) are walking to try to work out my route around and inbetween them.

18. 186161

Interesting to read all the responses here! Many varied talents to be found.

@Modnex... I guess I have my father to initially thank for my interest in electronics. When I was very young, living in Alaska, he used to bring me to an abandoned military facility. Apparently it was used for surveillance during the cold war. There were massive amounts of crazy electronic gear just spilling all over the floor. It was one of my favorite places... later in life, I learned that it became listed as a superfund site, due to radioactivity... (laughs nervously). After that, my father used to bring home old electronics, such as stereos and VCR's to dismantle and learn from. I still salvage from equipment like that today.

My blog, though not updated since december, has pictures and descriptions of some of my more recent builds and modifications... it's just a lot of scrolling down the page. http://www.wearerecords.com/spivkurl.html Many of the songs which I have posted here on Looperman incorporate instruments I have built or modified. I've been trying to get in the habit of mentioning it in the description.

Hmmm, favorite birds, that's a tough one. We had three mallard ducks in out back yard yesterday, and I like them a lot. Just identified the first rose-breasted grosbeak in the backyard this week as well. I guess common crows may be my favorite.

BTW @StaticNomad - As a fellow pedestrian, I found your response very amusing! I am fond of walking in the opposite direction of the mass of people. I also like to try different routes to places I am going at different times.

19. 1414881

@Static

You know, that is quite a fun thing to do - moving quickly through people without touching them. I do it myself sometimes, though I admit sometimes I've almost sent someone tumbling through my own clumsiness. :D

@Evisma

I'm jealous of you, my friend. I wish I could identify different types of trees and plant life just through observation. It makes us more aware of what's around us - and if we have a partner who enjoys it just as much as we do - it can actually be quite an entertaining past time when taking a walk in the park or something.

20. 1173131
    itsXseven : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

Not much of a talent, but good lord it seems like it is considering the individuals that surround me. On my off time I am teaching myself the ins and outs of auto mechanics. However, trying to get my wife to allow me to do all (or most) of the service on her precious Mustang to save money. She'd rather daddy do it, when he didn't even know that cabin air filter's existed, or a stranger work on it who's in a rush charging $50/hr minimum.

Aside from slapping my forehead because my wife can't look after cars, I enjoy doing graphic work and reading on various topics that interest me. Not a huge fan of novels, however I do collect books for when I do have the time to spare.

21. 1231236
    joecramer : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

I got this special talent to tell people the truth in the wrong moment :) .....

I am also good in improvisation of repairing things. (like a Mac Gyver for the poor)

I wrote a book (mostly finished the 2. part), all my lyrics, some poems ....

I love to paint, mostly watercolor on canvas

I am good in teaching (that's what the people say) if i know something i can tell you how you have to do it and you will understand it :) (works only in german)

I am also good in finding stupid points in so called good ideas

I can very well convince people that I know things of which I have no idea

22. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 12th May 2016 : 4 years ago

Mac Gyver is awesome!!! :D Did you build that guitar yet Joe *slacker ;)

23. 186161

joecramer, this is awesome... "I am also good in finding stupid points in so called good ideas." I also find this an enjoyable pass time.

24. 691199

Wow, so much talent here. I love it! @Phatkatz that's awesome! Being able to fix all of those things, must save you lots of cash, when it comes to repairs. Which is always a great thing!

@Tclancy Those are some great talents! Especially the ear for music. I love making music, but would probably be a heck of a lot easier, if I had an ear for music. That's just awesome!

@StaticNomad Wish I was good at walking, would save me a lot cash from having to go to the ER every minute cause my clumsy self is always walking into a ditch.

@Spivkurl Interesting.. I wish my dad and I could have done some fun projects like that, but unfortunately he couldn't nail three boards together properly, so we just stuck to drawing. I'm scrolling through your blog right now. I like that cool modular box you created. That looks very interesting. How long did it take to make that?

@itsXseven That's pretty cool stuff. Lets hope your wife gives in and lets you do it, could save you some money and be an overall fun learning experience.

@joecramer Those are some pretty great talents. Painting, writing books, teaching, writing poems. Man you do it all. When you finish your book, are you going to sell it or is it just for you and your family. I would love to take a look at it.

25. 186161

The modular had it's most recent update a couple of months ago, and it was started around 2003. Moving on to new modular work soon though, once my lab is set up again.

Posts 1 - 25 of 46

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads