Laptop Sound Lost All Its Bass

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 1273564
    LankFrampard : Wed 4th May 2016 : 2 years ago OKAY basically the other day my laptop sound lost all it's bass and became really 'tinny' just a horrible flat sound over powered with treble. After reinstalling drivers, uninstalling drivers, updating software and updating to Windows 10 I managed to get the sound back HOWEVER now it is poor quality and the bass is far too loud!

I can not seem to find the 'advanced settings' in Realtek Manager and I can't even locate the 'Enhancement' tab on the speaker properties (well I can but it's just bank) this seems to have happen on a couple of occasions to other people but I have no idea if they managed to solve it as I have had no luck, this is driving me crazy

4 days of hunting (all day) and trying EVERYTHING in my power to fix this problem has been a complete waste of time and buying a new laptop is certainly not an option at the moment.

My laptop is an Asus Notebook running Windows 10 and NO it is not my headphones!

Thanks

(LF)
  2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 4th May 2016 : 2 years ago Have you checked to see if you have MaxxAudio on your computer? I know my ASUS laptop has that and the audio presets on there way over-boost the sound and end up compressing it to crap. May want to look into that!

Brado
  3. 1273564
    LankFrampard : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago Thanks for the advice I shall install Maxx Audio today if I can but after doing a 'System Restore' (or whatever it is) it appears that the sound is back just the levels are all over the place. After tweaking it so that Media Player sounded right it appears Soundcloud now sounds strange. I'm so used to how this laptop sounds with my Sony headphones and my Logitech speakers I know this still isn't right. This happened to me maybe 6 months ago also but after a simple driver update it was fine, unfortunately it doesn't seem so straight forward this time round.

Thanks for the help though, I will continue to try different methods and hopefully fix this!
  4. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago Any updates? There shouldn't be any tweaking to be done to your audio to sound normal as that means it's still being effected. Have you tried disabling any sound enhancement? Any programs taking exclusive control of your sounds? Just some more ideas.
  5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago You would want to uninstall Maxx Audio, not install it.

I'm starting to think that windows 10 has audio enhancements which are not under the control of the user, though I have not used it.
  6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago I use Windows 10 and have all my audio enhancements off, sounds as it should.

Brado
  7. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago Good to know Brado! Others seem to be having trouble lately.
  8. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Thu 5th May 2016 : 2 years ago Just read an article recently (in my research on win10 for music production) I think it was in Sound On Sound mag but I didn`t mark it...apparently Microsoft is focused on their own audio/media drivers and there are a lot of conflicts with software that uses ASIO. That wouldn`t likely be cause for your laptop not playing music accurately but I think Brado`s info on getting rid of audio enhancements is well worth a try....I get rid of every piece of software that isn`t needed or detracts from audio processing every time I buy a PC...good luck...Hope MrFunktastic stops by...he knows more on the subject that anybody I know....Ed
  9. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 6th May 2016 : 2 years ago This may be a problem within Windows Media Player, try deleting it then reinstalling, plus you don't want to have any WMP enhancements EQ or WOW effects turned on, these will colour the sound greatly which might be ok for listening to music but not good for producing as you want as neutral a sound stage as possible for that.....I recently changed to Win10 and have had no issues, mind you there are heaps of intrusive default settings that you have to turn off to get an uninterrupted work flow experience then it's fantastic Imo.
  10. 630386
    Unknown User : Fri 6th May 2016 : 2 years ago Thanks Ed! Ed is referring to my days as an officially certified onsite Dell laptop depot service technician but those days are now somewhat behind me now. Here's my two cents:

Some of the things I may say may vary a bit on your system so try to adapt my recommendation whenever possible. But first, set your speakers to a 2 speakers setup and not 5.1 or 7.1 as a starting point. Next, right click on the little speaker in the system tray and go to properties and then the advanced tab. Try checking and unchecking the "Enable audio enhancements." Click OK to test each try. If you have the Dolby option, turn it off, and also try Choosing a lower and then higher bitrate. Warning: Do not use the device "update" option because the Windows Registry may still point to the current drivers and a bigger problem might occur. Finally, if none of that worked then it's time to use some gentle force. First download CCleaner if you do not have it and install it. Next, go to the ASUS site and download just the driver for your audio only. If it's an all in one system chipset driver pack then download it. But the ASUS-Realtek audio driver only for your system is preferred.

Open up Device Manager from Control Panel. Find your audio device in Device Manager and right-click uninstall. A confirmation box will also ask "Delete the Driver Software For this Device" put a check in that box and click OK. Close Device Manager and do not allow it to rescan. Next open and run CCleaner. Run the Cleaner option and clean everything it finds. Then run the registry clean option to clean out leftovers from the audio driver Uninstall. Clean out everything it finds. Power recycle and reboot the computer. If you get a "found new hardware" message when you logged back in try to cancel it. Run CCleaner again once logged in because the system may have held some things in memory from the previous session and it only gets released on a reboot. Run both the CCleaner Cleaner option and the Registry clean option in CCleaner once again. Now install the ASUS Audio driver you just downloaded. Now, Test it out, play something. If a no go, then go back into the config Uncheck the Dolby option in the config and experiment with the "Enable audio enhancements" feature. If still a no go, you said in your description that you upgraded to Windows 10. In control Panel there should be an option to revert back to Windows 7 or 8 if things are not to far gone by now. Things still a no go? Then back up all your files and reimage your system you must use the original ASUS factory image to reinstall everything. Then test the sound once the desktop is back, if okay then go to the Win 10 update or not. That's all I got. Print this out before getting started. Good Luck!
Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Pop Track