Started Coding New Collaborate Section - Ideas Welcome

Posts 1 - 25 of 45
  1. 1
    Looperman : Sun 20th Mar 2016 : 2 years ago Its been a very long time since I've had the time in my life to look at adding anything new to the site.

I now have a window of time to put a few things in motion. I'll also hopefully have another person to hand to implement new features and updates.

With that in mind this morning I've taken the first steps in creating a new section of the site dedicated to collaboration.

I dont have any plans for this to be any type of online DAW or anything that advanced but more a space to post requests and find others to work with. The initial aim is to get something up and running and then build on it as we go along.

There is no timescale as to when it will be ready. When its ready enough it will appear.

Once it does become a reality all collaboration posts from the forums will be imported into the system and that section of the forums will be closed.

As always I'm open to your suggestions as to what you would like to see in this new section.
  2. 1408729
    deopi : Sun 20th Mar 2016 : 2 years ago Hi,
    Thanx for this as it will probably be very useful for a lot of looperman users and lighten the forum.

My first idea would be to split the collab demands in section such as : Posts adressed to : Singers / Producers / Sound engeeners / Lyricists... or any classification that would allow fast searching collab & that forces a bit collab demands to be clear enough.

The second idea is an option to close this collab request (or thread) as soon as needed (maybe delete it to gain space and readability as old demands make no sense to read).

The third idea would be not to limit the genre request as some projects & requests may be cross-genre.

I guess you already thought about all of this but it's what comes in my mind when i think about this new section.

Thanx a lot Sir!
  3. 412387
    Observe : Mon 21st Mar 2016 : 2 years ago Thank you so very much for improving the site Mr. Looperman.

I think one of the best additions to the site would be communications through the form of am Instant Messaging system. It would boost the ability to communicate with one another during a colab 10 fold while at the same time keeping the focus on the site itself. Forums threads are a great starting point for one another to connect, communication in the end becomes a handful when navigating to and fro from emails and threads. Having simple IM system would beyond helpful not only to the site but to the people who use it.

Just my two cents, hope it makes some sparks fly.
  4. 828980
    phatkatz4 : Mon 21st Mar 2016 : 2 years ago I like the idea of vocalist (singer/rapper) needed, producer needed, sound engineer, categories I guess you could go on forever with individual categories but just a few general ones would be good to help ease in searches.
  5. 1003794
    SoleilxLune : Mon 21st Mar 2016 : 2 years ago I support ideas of Observe and deopi.

I think it would be useful if the user who creates the thread can delete it when he thinks he got what he wanted. I mean, deopi is right, and there are a lot of old threads (from months or even years).

Another way to improve collabs, is allowing a way to share loop midi files here on LM. Of course, the midi files must be original work and royalty free. I mean, suppose that someone has no a good strings vst (for example), this user can upload the midi and if another user has a good vst, he can collab with the user who requested the instrument.

Just an idea. I'd really like to help.
  6. 1
    Looperman : Wed 24th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Im bringing this thread back to life to allow users to provide suggestions on what they feel would be useful for the collaborations section. Work is going on in the background on various new things and this is to be one of them.

The collabs forum will be completely removed once this is done to allow the forum to act as a discussion area again rather then a billboard for collab offers and wanted ads.
  7. 1820087
    MeIodicDreamer : Wed 24th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago That is gonna be such a huge improvement, can't wait for this to be finished and we're all thankful that you take the time and effort to make this site as great as it can be!
  8. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 24th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Fantastic work Shan!..I think it would be of benefit to potential collaborators if they had a check box where they could display their skill set when posting, for instance if they can, sing, rap, voice over, play an instrument, do art work, photography, audio mix, master and so forth and maybe even the area they live in.
  9. 851137
    crucethus : Wed 24th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Hey Shan. I really Like PJB's suggestion. Gives us all the level of skills we might need in a collaboration.
  10. 630386
    JosephFunk : Thu 25th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Whatever you decide Shan, I think keeping an eye on simplicity would be the best approach at serving the greater community here the best, you cannot please everyone. I believe collaborators (djs, producers, musicians, rappers, singers, etc.) should get together and work out the fine details amongst themselves like the mixing and mastering details for example.

I envision a new collaborators section that has 4 or 5 major group headings or less. No sub-grouping because that would cause many more requests for further sub-topic splitting which would create a new kind of mess. I feel people should still talk to figure out what type of goals they wish to achieve with the help of another.

But simplicity is key and then lock it down. Keeping a Collaborators section clean, easy and simple to use, and then lock it down like what you did with new Genre submissions is the way to go!
  11. 1107661
    liftarn : Thu 25th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago It would make my life easier if I would be able to filter out all the rap spam.
  12. 1041668
    wikkid : Thu 25th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Thanks, Shan.
  13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 26th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Pretty cool that this is going to become a reality!

I would like it if files could be attached to collaboration thread posts, or sent via IM (if this is implemented). This could enable transfer of MIDI files, patches, projects, screenshots or whatever between those who are involved in the project. Obviously storage space would be an issue with this though. The use of outside sites for file sharing gets irritating at times, especially since everyone seems to have their preferred storage site.

Maybe it would be good to limit access to the collab section, to only those who have completely filled in their profile. A well filled profile should take care of PJB's suggestion, though it is a bit more manual and simple, which is in keeping with Joseph's recommendation.

In my experience, the biggest need in online collaboration is the ability to exchange files while communicating. I usually end up doing this with a combination of email, file sharing sites, and my own domain. Being able to communicate and share files right on Looperman would definitely simplify the process. This would need to go beyond simply loops and mp3 acapellas, at least for me. Song or section length wav stems, MIDI files, projects, one shots, patches, and the like can all come into play in a collaboration.
  14. 2102954
  15. 1099214
    eluterius : Fri 26th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Are you coding this site all alone? Must be some task!!
  16. 630386
    JosephFunk : Fri 26th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago @Spivkurl and @Looperman

My only problem with a Looperman local centralized sharing location is:
    1) It poses security concerns to this site. Viruses and Malware.
    2) It may be abused like a Dropbox for other materials like smut.
    3) Looperman liability, knowingly or unknowingly, storing copyrighted material.
    4) International law may poses some potential problems that could, I said could, result into lawsuits.
    5) Admin would be forced to buy more or greater in size storage drives or dramatically reduce people's account allotments.

Remember the old Kazaa centralized sharing and Napster's peer-to-peer networks? What a legal logistical nightmare mess that was for the owners there, but they broke law by allowing unverified file hosting and sharing. That is why Shan cannot host a centralized repository.

The Looperman Collab area should take the most simplest approach if we wish for this site to survive. He needs to strike a balance that will improve collabs, respects rights, respects International laws, and not be overly convoluted with just useless stuff. Because that stuff leads to more stuff and then even greater stuff and so on such as that it could render the collab area totally unusable and very complicated. I would like to see a decisive decision from the Admin that has the minimum requirements which force people to communicate and work direct with potential collab associates and not a lazy place that has more useless want ads from array of pull down menus and check boxes.

I like your idea Spivkurl, but if such ideas were to be implemented then a paid service plan from Looperman is the only fair way to implement such an elaborate plan. Such things can be very costly while ad revenues globally on sites such as Looperman.com are way down. As a former web developer and site admin myself, these things cost money and lots of time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/18/business/media-websites-battle-falteringad-revenue-and-traffic.html
  17. 2276282
    neuromancer56 : Sat 27th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago For private collaboration spaces for file sharing & heavy communication I suggest Slack.com. There seems to be no limits on filesize, I was exchanging even videos for goodness sake. It also has voice chat and searchable text chat comments. Looperman could be used for just the initial working out of details. But the heavy work would be best done on Slack.com. I'd sooner just have Shan work on a way for the community to assign the Key to loops with unassigned keys.
  18. 1
    Looperman : Sat 27th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago To be clear, I dont plan any form of file sharing / hosting / chat rooms or anything like that. The plan is a simple way to find other people to work with and allow the forum to be a forum once more.

How you choose to work with others once you have found them is up to you.
  19. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 27th Jan 2018 : 6 months ago Fair enough! The drawbacks to those sort of things are definitely apparent. I guess it's just one of those wishes to never leave looperman during a collaborative effort. ;)
  20. 847669
    EricMilligan : Fri 2nd Feb 2018 : 6 months ago I also endorse the idea of simplicity (not too many categories) and PJB's idea of checking off areas of competency. Some easy way to include links to acapellas or tracks or whatever that a potential collaborator has posted here on Looperman would be nice, or perhaps just an automatic link to the member's profile. Easy to navigate from the profile to whatever material you might be interested in.
  21. 2426467
    XreptonGaming123 : Sat 3rd Feb 2018 : 6 months ago @looperman how bout a newer website for collabarations, sharing files, and chat rooms.
    I really think this is the best idea as this is mainly just for loops. And is it possible to make me able to upload loops as the other thread is locked
  22. 1405593
    Nubes : Mon 5th Feb 2018 : 6 months ago I think a good addition is moderation of spam and collab posts, that would make so many people on this site happy. I can't even count how many times i log on and see the same collab posts on the sidebar.
  23. 2260336
    FAMOUR : Thu 1st Mar 2018 : 5 months ago Notifications about private messages and comments would be great additions.
  24. 2531555
    furybeats : Sun 11th Mar 2018 : 5 months ago My two cents -- I think that there should be some sort of an an optional escrow "bounty" amount that the requester puts up to make sure that the project gets done (it could be auction style or just an arbitrary amount that they think the project is worth). I think people get serious about the project when money is at stake. The escrow is only released once the project is successfully completed on both ends. There should additionally be a dispute mechanism arbitration built in if someone doesn't follow through on their end of the collaboration agreement and money returned to the requester if the other party doesn't follow through. All files and correspondence should be done on the site in case there is any dispute or for easy reference, look-up and archiving. I also think that there should be fields (and PDF generated legal documentation agreements) on the collaboration form that state the percentage of ownership of the final product while keeping in mind about industry standards. Many times music makers overlook the business and legal side of collaborations and this must be done properly and legally.
  25. 1
    Looperman : Sun 11th Mar 2018 : 5 months ago @furybeats, thanks for your input but i think you are over thinking things. Ive no interest in managing deals, money or contracts. Its up to people to do that themselves. Not everyone would want to work at that level.
Posts 1 - 25 of 45

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track