Cigar Box Guitar Loops

Posts 1 - 21 of 21
  1. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 24th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Built my first Cigar Box guitar and I'm wondering how much interest there is in Loops made with it. I'll share pics as soon as I figure out how to without directing people to my facebook, but if you want to see them now there's there's a link on my profile.
    Anyone else make or play cigar box guitars or basses? Any questions about them? Tips tricks?
    Maybe we can get a loop category for them. Here's my first loop uploaded, more to come and to be built as well. Enjoy B-D
    https://www.looperman.com/loops/detail/93590/cigar-box-bayou-blues-loop-1-g-75-bpm-by-phatkatz4-free-65bpm-blues-acoustic-guitar-loop

2. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 24th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Here's pics B-D http://imgur.com/a/dYz8O

3. 189474
    ImproveWithError : Wed 24th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Hey phatkatz

Nice job on the guitar, we build these in my Design Processes class that I teach to my high school students. It's a pretty popular class since music/band is very popular at my school. I think if you recorded some loops and added them into the blues section a lot of people would be interested. Anyway, I just wanted to let you know you did a good job. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Kyle

4. 1280030
    Fl4zh : Wed 24th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I can try to do something with it.

Reminds me alot of western :P

5. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 25th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Thanks Kyle :D I'm proud of that one! Classes on building them,that must be awesome! I did mine from a you tube video by Glenn Watt. I followed step by step and did a little extra like added some bracing inside the box to strengthen the neck and glue it to the box, instead of nailing through the lid, so I could still open it. I didn't realize how popular cigar box guitars have become, they seem to be quite the hot item, with festivals dedicated to them and seems alot of people build and sell them. You must have a lot of different designs for them? This one is neck through the box. I have a nice piece of maple all marked out for the next build with a reversed headstock and it's getting humbucker salvaged from some upgrades to one of my 6 strings, tuning keys salvaged from a broken acoustic guitar. I'm also planning to build a fretted one based on another design from a you tube video where the guy uses all items found in a local hardware store except for the cigar box and strings.
    I just learned about them a couple weeks ago right here in the forums, after some research into them I had to have one!! Building them is so much more personal than buying one all made.
    Yes, they do have a country sound :p Very unique and expressive yet so simple! Love to hear what /if you make anything with any of the loops, Karl. That one came out pretty good and clean, it's part of another tune I'm working on. I recorded one yesterday but when I took off the fx the loops were really quiet, and boosting the gain only made it noisy.
    That one pictured has a temporary piezo pickup clipped to it so I could play it amplified, It's getting a permanent one soon with volume and tone knobs. Fret marks are on the side, that's why there's no marks on the face of the neck.
    This is a really neat video showing 2 cigar box guitars and a cigar box bass in action https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu2hJU3GGdA As I make more decent quality loops I'll get them up for people to use :D I'm really excited to build and play these more! Blues is some of my favorite music:D

6. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Thu 25th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

That is awesome! At first I didn't think you literally built it from a cigar box lol, but I see that is what you meant after looking at the pics.

7. 828980

Literally a cigar box LOL! The neck is a 3/4 inch piece of oak cut to 1 1/2 inches wide and notched for the lid, with a deeper cut under the lid to allow the lid to vibrate. I'll add a pic showing the back where you can see how I added a piece to strenghten the neck and when I open it for it's permanent pick up I'll get some pics. I'll take pics of each step for the next one I've started, except I already roughly cut the neck to shape, but just imagine a piece of 1 by 3 inch maple with a neck shape drawn on it. The strings are an A D G string from a pack of acoustic guitar strings tuned to G D G considered to be standard tuning for cigar box guitars (if there is one), but you can use any tuning you like as well as as many strings. Most of the ones I've seen are 3 to 4 strings. Saw 2 stringer with a low E and high E :p Think I'll have to make one so those extra strings don't go to waste. Diddly Bows have one string and can be made with a broom handle for a neck. Cigar boxes resonate like hell!!

8. 828980

http://imgur.com/NBv6nqW The newest neck for build number 2 :p It's a rough cut with just a tiny bit of cleaning up so far. I'm hoping to show how easy these are to build with a little patience and some basic tools. All the parts can be purchased very cheap, salvaged or improvised.

9. 1408729
    deopi : Thu 25th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Thanx for these infos, i've never heard about such an instrument, it's awesome and it sounds great.
    Thanx for sharing this with us!
    And i'm sure plenty of loopermen will be interested in your loops.

10. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Fri 26th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I've uploaded a few so far. More cigar boxes arrived today YAAAYY!! Each is completely unique in sound and appearance. There's plans available online for cookie tin banjos, cigar box violins, ukeleles, basses, cellos hahahah Just use your imagination and build away :D I have cigar box guitar build number 2 started. Picked up a box of finish nails for frets and found a program, free,W Fret, that does all the calculations for fret placement based on the scale(distance from the nut to the bridge)and you print out the template. There's also a site called Cigar Box Nation dedicated to building homemade instruments out of things never intended to be used for music.

11. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Sat 27th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Hey phatkatz4, I've been doing the same thing, except I have been making ukuleles instead. It's more like a regular instrument, and I can jam with other musicians. I also made a couple of amps, one out of an old cathedral amp box.
    Check out my stuff www.facebook.com/KentuckyMojo. Mojo is Music Out of Junk Objects.

12. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Sat 27th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

*Cathedral RADIO Cabinet

13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 27th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Looking good my friend! I really enjoy DIY guitar work, whether I'm doing it or watching someone else do it. They're fun to jam on!

Noticed you were speaking of low output from the piezo, or lots of noise if the gain was raised later on. Since you are using a passive setup, an active DI would probably help considerably when recording. Also, from my experiments, the placement of the piezo is all important for signal strength, tone, and also how much external sounds are picked up. Seems that close to the bridge/saddle is best for a strong signal. I've had good luck with having part of the piezo firmly attached, and part of it hanging away from the inside of the body where it is attached.

Looking forward to seeing more of your builds!

14. 1231236
    joecramer : Sat 27th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Here is a little example how this loop can be used in an alternative way.
    I just reached the 50 song limit here on looperman so i post it on reverbnation

this is a live improvisation on a synth accordion (once i had around 6 month accordion lessons 35 years ago) no quantize or work on the midi file after playing ..... have fun

https://www.reverbnation.com/joecramer/album/116874-burton-and-joe

15. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Sun 28th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Thats awesome DJSchmeeJ! :D I saw this at work but I cant sign in to Looperman from my phone. I found a maple dresser thrown in the wood dumpster so I dissassembled it for the top which if all goes well could yield 12 necks! Then I looked at the drawer faces, threw them back because they seemed to short, read this and got them all for Ukelele necks, another instrument Ive yet to try, so why not build one. Thats alot of cigar boxes!! *Jealous* LOL! Ive seen some of those amps, love to try building one! What does it take to build one? One of my jobs is a transfer station attendant on weekends, you would not believe the useful stuff that gets thrown out! One of my co workers is excited and looking at things differently. Hmmmm what could I build with that? Hahahha
    Spivkurl, The piezo Im using for now is one of those with a jack already attached and a sticky pad to stick it to say and acoustic guitar, thats what I got it for, for my acoustic. I just couldnt resist trying out the new toy. Strings, slide and that all came at once and the guitar was just calling to me to string it up, I had no control! I clipped it to the cigar box lid right over the sound holes because I liked the tone I got there, added a bit of cloth to pad it against so much noise. Before I did just touching the strings made a hell of a racket. Ill try the permanent one near the bridge, and before it gets glued Ill move it around to find the sweet spot. Ive been told to add a layer of glue like a pad under it first then add some over the top to help control noise. To make an active pickup set up can I just buy an amp that goes inside the body to boost gain on the pickup(s)? I looked up active pick up set ups and all I saw (so far) was complete pre wired sets. Playing it through guitar rig really boosts the gain, thats how I recorded with it so far. One sound setting seemed extremely noisy.
    Cool track Joe :D I love hearing the different ways people use this stuff. Ive got a bayou blues tune in the works and thats the main riff. Did you ever hear my heavy metal polka with accordian? :p Dalarida uses accordian, oud, bagpipes, fiddle in metal, pretty cool.
    2nd build is coming along really nice. Got the neck sanded today, the cigar box notched for the neck, neck fitted to it, not glued yet and the fretboard cut to fit. Im working all day tomorrow so monday Ill start working on fretting. Im using finish nails for frets and a piece of oak scavenged off a shelf, got a few pieces perfect thickness for fretboards. Getting quite ambitious with this one as its been quite the fun crash course in instrument building. I think Im addicted, good thing Ive joined a support group for cigar box builder addicts ;) I have request to build 4 more and I havent even finished number 2 yet! Already planning the next one for myself :p That one will be a bass,that's the plan anyway. I just got the large tin for it today and a round cookie tin to build a banjo.

16. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Sun 28th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

DJScheeJ what's the most off the wall thing you've ever built an instrument out of?

17. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 28th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

You may be able to buy a prewired set up or a kit. I think the electronics would partly depend on what kind of pickup you were using. I guess I'm not completely sure, since most every circuit I solder is unique and tailored for the purpose it's meant for. I'm sure there are kits for active guitar preamps out there though.

It's really cool to see someone else re-purposing items which would normally be destroyed and wasted. I hate seeing useful items thrown away. It's especially cool when they can be turned into musical instruments!

18. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Mon 29th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I did see the fully wired kits for inexpensive. I'll have to try one seeing as I started 4 more today! I watched a video where a guy was talking about how he likes using p-bass pickups.
    That's one of the hardest parts of my transfer station job, is throwing out so much useful stuff! Quite a shame but I can't save everything. It is a great place to scavenge parts for building things though :D I've got a couple computers and done upgrades to others from parts taken home.

19. 828980
  20. 438673
    DJSchmeeJ : Wed 23rd Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

It's not wild or crazy, but I just finished a concert ukulele build from a 100 year old cigar box. It came out beautifully, which is great considering it was my 1st commissioned build! A local guy saw my work online and contacted me to build one for him. He had some nice boxes, but when I showed him the 100 year old Saramita box, he was in love!
    https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyMojo/photos/a.676622365767795.1073741828.676618745768157/943505852412777/?type=3&theater
    I also put a 9v battery amp in a cigar box so it looks like just a cigar box until you open it, then it looks like a small guitar amp.
    https://www.facebook.com/KentuckyMojo/photos/a.676622365767795.1073741828.676618745768157/879200545509975/?type=3&theater

21. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 23rd Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

Beautiful! I saw a post on cigar box guitar builders page where another guy used a rare, very old (I think around 100 years old as well) cigar box for one. Said every cut was pure stress hahaha I just built one from a cookie tin http://imgur.com/yCJzb36 and ordered the parts to try a cigar box violin. I want to try a uke as well sometime soon.

Posts 1 - 21 of 21

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.