Parallel Compression

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Sun 21st Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

It's a pretty simple concept and I've seen it done a lot on youtube videos. I decided to give it a shot after I was finally convinced to use it from a youtuber.

I don't like it on my master track, because I have pianos and prefer to keep them away from any compression what's so ever. What I did instead was to use parallel compression on my drum, bass, and guitar busses, each with it's unique parallel compression settings.

According to a music producer on youtube to get the best out of parallel compression you could boost the lows, and highs from the compressed signal to taste, and then blend in to taste with the dry signal. I tried it and I liked it.

Now I noticed something. On my first attempt I did it the classic way of doing it. I had the bus track un-routed from the master, which was routed to 2 separate tracks, and routed to the master. 1 for the dry signal and 1 for the compressed. Immediately without any applied effects, just the 2 tracks making sound, I could hear an apparent phasing sound. I applied the compression to 1 track, and the phasing became super apparent. I applied EQ changes to the compressed track just for giggles at this point, and it became full blown phased.

No problem I also knew that my Maximus in FL studio had the capability of parallel compression, so I got rid of the 2 extra tracks and re-routed to the master, put maximus on the instrument bus I wanted to apply parallel compression, did it within that compressor itself, and there were no phasing issues.

What the heck? Well that was weird. I'm not sure what caused it, but after some deep thinking I realized I forgot to adjust my fruity limiter (also a compressor) to 00ms attack. Maybe that could have caused the phasing, since it was making the 2nd track slightly slower than the 1st unprocessed one. There are 2 attacks with fruity limiter. 1 for the compressor, and 1 for the compression. I missed the compressor one.

It was a different story when both the unprocessed, and processed signals were going through a shared maximus compressor, and maximus handling the amount I wanted to blend in.

For those of you using FL ff you have similar issues know that maximus can help you with that. I will go check out the limiter attack too, and see if that was it.

I hope this helps someone.

2. 1392969

Yep yep mystery solved. Remember to lower your attack to 00 ms on both the compressor attack and the compressing attack. Also I think it's best to do this to wave files rather than having midi instrument doing the playback with all their plugin processing.

It sure sounds much cleaner with a wave than with a live playback.

3. 1392969

If you really need to do it with live midi, then maximus can do the job and eliminate 100% of the phasing.

4. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 21st Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

In my experiences, that phase can be checked very easily. It is most likely plugin delay accumulation. The test is to go back to where you had the Comp and phasing, do a quick render, and listen to the render for phase. If it's gone, it was from plugin delay. One remedy is to clone the same compressor on the other track to add delay to the others, then bypass the audio out from that effect. I've not had great luck with balancing delay, but a lot of ppl do it.
    What I do is typically wait until late in production to use parallel compression, or render the compressed version and mix it in the timeline directly with the uncompressed.
    -Not to say that your problem wasn't plugin specific, but it can also happen from delay accumulation.
    Hope this is helpful!
    -Slimm

5. 1392969

Yea it could have been that too. I had tried it with rendered waves too, and I no longer had a problem. I however am a firm believer that I must have a live project as I mix, and only render the final file that will be mastered. For now processing a single track through a compressor for parallel comp looks like my best bet.

Thanks

6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 21st Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

What FL studio version are you using now?

7. 1392969

Still on 11 even though I could download 12 from the image-line site. I'm not ready to move on yet.

8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sun 21st Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

By v12,2 build 3, they have done some improvements to plugin delay compensation. The original track routed to two tracks way should work routed to master, at least in this version. I think I've read about the "attack" setting on maximus needing to be set to 0 in a setup like this, but that wouldn't explain the tracks being out of phase without a plugin added. You're not using any other effects on the original or the send tracks? Also, I think I've read that you must name the mixer tracks so that the PDC is informed that audio is routed there... or something to that effect. At least I know that this applies to generators with multiple outputs.

9. 1245534
    VirginiaSlimm : Sun 21st Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I'm curious, does raising your hardware latency to maximum setting alleviate the phasing issue? I usually raise latency later in a project when I'm doing non vsti types of things and it seems to help overall performance(not just stuttering) to give the computer some extra headroom. Can't play synths or automate quickly with high latency, but by that phase I'm pretty much done recording live input.

Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.