Aerodrums

Posts 1 - 25 of 43
  1. 589130
    Unknown User : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Aerodrums is an air-drumming instrument. It runs on your computer and understands your drumming intent by watching you drum through a high speed camera. I stumbled upon this while surfing some software reviews on youtube.

Check out this demonstration link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CavlglPYVvQ

Here's the link to the site:

http://aerodrums.com/aerodrums-product-page/

Looks and sounds convincing imo. Share your thoughts :)

2. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Today's technology is just amazing! Air guitar next? :D

3. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

You know what would be great for me, air vocals!!

4. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Clever, clever stuff and it's seriously cheap!

I wonder how easy it is to drum without really hitting anything. Must feel weird though maybe you get used to it.

But how do you do cymbal chokes?

Can you just grab the air where the cymbal would be and then the software will choke it for you?

5. 588276

"air vocals!"

Yeah, right - you just blow on the air vaguely in time and an awesome voice comes out. Just turn a dial for which type of voice you want.

Mr 4Fat will go for a cross between Mariah Carey, Bruce Dickinson and Eminem.

6. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I sort of feel weirded out watching this, I'm no Luddite but I like to see a skinman hitting something apart from thin air..I suppose the next natural progression is a virtual piano but that could be slightly more complicated...these software designers obviously want to put instrument makers out of work, imagine a whole orchestra using this technology...big thumbs down from me.

7. 588276

I totally get where PlanetJ is coming from and seeing drums is indeed cool. Drum kits just look good, as do other instruments.

I don't think this is really for proper live performance (again, would look crap to an audience) but just for home input.

You've got to admit that it's damn cheap and looks like it might get the job of drum input done fairly well.

8. 817298
    Enzotic : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I wouldn't say the software engineers are trying to put those making instruments out of work (though that is a possible effect of technological advances in this field). This seems like a great alternative for those who wouldn't be able to afford a real set or don't have space for one. I just find it hard to "replace" a real drum set for anyone outside of a studio or working in a DAW.

This does look interesting to a poor person that likes "performing" music, like myself.

9. 1
    Looperman : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I would say this is a good thing. I couldn't fit a drum kit in my room and im sure the rest of the house would not want to hear me trying to play. I could use something like though to learn how to play or to create more real sounding drums in a track. For 120 it looks like it would be worth a punt

10. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

@Looperman

Well I think Dave does have a point. First these are pre-recorded drum samples that are triggered by an advanced controller, but who really made them? Are they low quality dithered 16/44.1 drum samples? Well an actual drummer with an organic drum set had to most like be brought in to record gigabytes of drum stroke data I am certain. Now you know Shan better than some that ROOM, Mic quality, mic placement, mic pick up and the quality of the acoustics shapes the initial sound for Funk versus let's say metal, the initial considerations are way different. What was the original drum sample played on, is the original drum set a Ludwig, Peavey, Axis or someone else? Depth of the floor drums and bass drums, what are they? The kick drum, did they dampen its acoustics? What kind of snares am I getting and so on.

When I played the drums in my youth you knew the exact force and resistance to exert in a live set for every stroke in a microsecond. The software must calculate that but leaves out the human element like when you reach out as you are drumming and grab the cymbal you just crashed because like in Jazz there are those instances where you do not want to bleed out the cymbals into the next bar.

At best it looks like a fun toy. I say Metal genre musicians might be the most to benefit from a gizmo like this Shan. I'd try just for the fun and novelty of it but I would not build my band around it. But when I saw it it reminded me instantly of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYpKYxozJ7c

The future of music, hmmmm.

11. 1
    Looperman : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

not saying it would be anything more then another way of learning the drums in a space that you could not use a traditional kit.

12. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Technology aside, the most important thing to realize here folks is - this is for drummers. In no way is this an alternative to your programmed drum recording software.

Very cool idea though, and as Looperman points out its real advantage would be saving space. I'm wondering what the limitations are as far as amount kit items. Seems like the more drums and cymbals you have the harder it is going to be to tell where you are. I think this really needs some holographic projection. Now that would Rule !!!

13. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Then yes from that perspective I may agree with you somewhat LM. But space savings or not people should learn on real drums because you are fooling yourself if you think it is the same and it is not, take it from a real drummer. But it's always good to examine the pros and cons of any new technology. When you strike the drumhead with your drumstick it resonates through the wood (drumsticks) which is a feeling you cannot get from air playing. That sensation increases and decreases with intensity of what is being played which dictated a lot of my decisions when I playing decades ago.

14. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Oh also, @ StaticNomad, hope you don't mind me stealing that Air Vocal idea! Im gonna patent that for sure. I can seriously imagine such software where anyone can sing lyrics into a mic and the program would be able to modify it and make you sound like the artist of your choice. It could take Karaoke to a whole new level !!!!

Thanks man !

15. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 18th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

I have to agree with MrFunktastic and planetjazzbass on this one. This video is basically just demonstrating a new interface for a drum controller. Whether you are a drummer or not, a drum controller is not the same as a drum set. If you only use samples or virtual instruments, and always wished you could play drums, then this sort of controller might be of use to you. Otherwise, just buy a drumset! If you want "realistic" sounding drums, then this will not do it for you. If you want to perform your digital drum instruments in a more real time manner, then it might help, but is not necessary. I can see any benefit of this over a simple drum trigger set which is MIDI implemented.

Honestly it seems more like a statement of the death of the real, tactile instrument in recent times. I can't see any benefit of doing away with real instruments, especially something entirely acoustic and as ancient as drums. If the S H I tutt hits the fan, and we are all without power, then it is the acoustic musicians that will keep music lovers in the groove.

16. 588276
    StaticNomad : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

MrFunk:

"First these are pre-recorded drum samples that are triggered by an advanced controller, but who really made them? Are they low quality dithered 16/44.1 drum samples?"

I suspect you may be entirely missing the point. The hits generated from playing these airdrums produces MIDI data, which can be used however you like, to trigger whichever samples you like.

So, I could use it in Superior Drummer. I currently don't play any of Superior's drums from any input device, I just program them in by hand (whilst, of course, modifying existing drummers' performance MIDI files).

"leaves out the human element like when you reach out as you are drumming and grab the cymbal you just crashed because like in Jazz there are those instances where you do not want to bleed out the cymbals into the next bar."

Yes, I asked earlier on how to do what you're describing, which is known as a cymbal choke. There may well be a way.

17. 588276

NeomorphinBro:

"hope you don't mind me stealing that Air Vocal idea"

Steal away. But I'm sure you know that you need something of real substance to be awarded the patent. It can't just be the idea. I think you need some sort of partially functioning system.

If you can make it, and patent it, you will make loadsa money.

I'm sure the idea will happen and potentially change the world of music a lot. It will be bizarre when people who can barely sing can just use essentially an effects device and produce a great sounding voice.

It'll be like Autotune but endlessly better as it'll give you massive control over timbre and allow you to sing with the hybrid voice of, say, Aretha Franklin, Bob Dylan and Lisa Gerrard (of Dead Can Dance) which would be pretty damn weird but potentially cool.

"It could take Karaoke to a whole new level"

It would do so much more than that and would probably be very controversial.

18. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Correction - "I can't see any benefit..."

19. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

@StaticNomad

Sorry bro I missed no point, I think you did. Hello, I am a drummer but I produce now in a midi based studio because it is cheaper and I got hostile neighbors who do not love drummers. I now use BFD midi drums pal and I have a midi keyboard controller as well.

"...trigger whichever samples you like."

That's correct! While you are just triggering any samples of your choosing on this new controller, and have fun man, I am playing organic sound and I choose not to use samples in my band is my point. If the power goes out the drums can still be played. So my point was as an effective learning method it is better if one learns on an organic set first in my response to Looperman because we are creating a generation of music illiterate people. If triggering midi on a new fangled controller is your liking then so be it, have fun, and yes I also use a controller once in a while too. I am just saying it is better to learn on an organic set first, and then a toy like Aerodrums as I stated in my earlier post. Samples are most certainly a cost effective and fun way of producing sound but they do have limitations and should be avoided as a replacement to organic instrument is all I am saying SM.

Cheers man!
    Mr. Funk!

20. 588276

MrFunk:

"I missed no point, I think you did"

I'm not sure which one I missed but fair enough. I was just questioning you complaining about the samples this thing triggers:

"these are pre-recorded drum samples that are triggered by an advanced controller, but who really made them? Are they low quality dithered 16/44.1 drum samples?"

Of course it triggers samples! It has to. But there's no difference between that and any other sample-based drum software and I think it's fairly well established by now that that's pretty decent technology.

"I now use BFD midi drums pal"

Cool but it would look less patronising if you removed the "pal" and still carry the same meaning. I understand you're talking to me.

" it is better if one learns on an organic set"

Sure, I agree and I think it's somewhat obvious that drummers like to actually hit things.

However, I'm disappointed with the theme from a number of older commenters here that this product is somehow bad because it's supposedly going to push real, tactile instruments (drums) out.

No, it'll probably mostly just help people who either can't afford a physical drum kit, don't have the space or soundproofing etc, to still do some pretty decent drumming.

That seems incredibly obvious to me (see Looperman's simple point).

I can also see this product being used in a limited way in a live context however you don't want to fully replace physical drums because they look good and just hitting the air looks rubbish and kind of ridiculous.

I also agree with this good point:

"When you strike the drumhead with your drumstick it resonates through the wood (drumsticks) which is a feeling you cannot get from air playing."

"a toy like Aerodrums"

Is it a toy? I'm not at all sure about that. A toy would be more like a little, crappy plastic $10 drumset. This is something completely different and appears to be an entirely valid MIDI input triggering device. I would not call that a toy and I think you're just using the term as a means of denigration in order to reinforce your rather obvious "hey, physical drums are better" point.

I think most people probably know that but not all of them can afford a proper acoustic kit or manage to play it at home without serious complaints.

21. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Come on mate, I'm allowed to have an opinion aren't I, you don't have to be disappointed with it, you bring plenty of opinions to the forums of which many I don't particularly agree with but that doesn't disappoint me one iota, when everyone agrees that's when you start strapping on armbands and polishing the jackboots....This software doesn't tick any boxes for me but hey if other people like it all well and good..I also have a pet hate for Keytars while many people love them and their quite collectors items now, and Theremins (mind you I like watching cats play them) Triangles are very low in my estimation, French Horns erk me, Wobble boards thanks to Rolf Harris are now off my shopping list, Castanets make me feel cold, Bassoons remind me of bongs but I save most of my instrument disapproval for Banjos!

22. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

@Dave
    That's why I am bailing out of this my friend.

@StaticNomad

The only one complaining is you. I am only attempting to educate and share both my organic and midi experience. As I said early I would love to try it, how does that sound like a complaint. Patronizing? Whoa, I thought we were on friendly terms, like friends. I guess I was mistaken StaticNomad. I tend to use that term pal a lot around my friends I like, it's a habit I have, I am truly sorry for offending you StaticNomad and causing you harm with the word "pal.", I will be more mindful in the future.

But I also admitted that I too use a sample based instrument as well and was not putting one up against another as being superior over the other. I attempted to make only a comparative analysis is all. Look I am not looking for a fight or an argument StaticNomad of any nature, that's not me, I'd rather admit I was wrong and just bail out of this at this point because it's not worth it, not at all. Enjoy your day/evening sir.

23. 588276

PlanetJ:

"Come on mate, I'm allowed to have an opinion aren't I, you don't have to be disappointed with it"

I assume that's directed at me. I'm only disappointed by the negative way that a few of you are choosing to see this (others welcome it), as if you're worried no one's going to play physical acoustic drums again. Just a bit of a narrow-minded view when you could instead applaud the possibilities this might open up for various people.

And it should really be pretty obvious to anyone who knows what a drum is that this is not exactly the same as hitting a real drum so why are we going on about that obvious point?

Personally, I'm more interested in how the hell that camera setup is able to actually work. That seems like some clever technology that probably has lots of other applications.

But no, let's instead discuss again that this is not the same as real drums.

Would you believe that a $100 controller keyboard is not the same thing as a concert grand piano? Some people are so disappointed when they get them home and find that out.

Another interesting consideration for people complaining about the lack of "physicality": the theremin? Perhaps the world's first instrument played without being touched. And very hard it is too.

To add to Neo's point: just wait till you get a holographically projected drum kit (or whatever surface you choose) hooked up to this technology. That could look amazing and maybe the tactile response will even be like a real drum by then.

Believe it or not, but I'm not that interested in using this air drums software. But I am much more interested in looking at what it can do and where that technology might go than just going on about how it's not the same as an acoustic kit.

I just find that a really boring point and that's my only real disagreement with anyone here.

"you bring plenty of opinions to the forums of which many I don't particularly agree with"

That's fine - go right ahead and disagree with any and all of them. Just do it intelligently and I won't mind.

"I save most of my instrument disapproval for Banjos!"

Fair enough. I play one ocasionally (it's featured in loads of my tracks uploaded here) but I know how much it annoys some people.

I now offer you a joke from Harry Manx: my one and only favourite banjo player:

"I left my banjo in my car the other night while playing a gig. I came back later on to find someone had smashed the window and chucked in six more banjos".

24. 588276

MrFunk:

"I tend to use that term pal a lot around my friends I like, it's a habit I have, I am truly sorry for offending you StaticNomad".

No problem - it just looked patronising, especially when coupled with the unnecessary "hello" here: "Sorry bro I missed no point, I think you did. Hello, I am a drummer"

So, a bit like: "Hello, McFly, is anybody home?"

I can explain that reference if need be.

"I attempted to make only a comparative analysis is all"

That's fine - maybe it just came across as a bit of a negative "old ways are best, don't bother with new ones" sort of argument.

"I am not looking for a fight or an argument StaticNomad of any nature, that's not me"

That's cool. I very rarely have online fights or arguments. Not worth the bother. But you're not an a**hole (note that I said NOT) so there's never any need for us to have any.

25. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 19th Feb 2016 : 6 years ago

Seriously man lighten up a little, you do this all the time in the forums, segmenting people's posts and then going on to explain it all from your perspective, bravo you get the Looperman final arbiter award...it doesn't bother me we're all different, I agree it's an interesting application for potentially other uses, but as a drum emulator it sucks.

Posts 1 - 25 of 43

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.