Fake Bass Guitar Tip

Posts 26 - 49 of 49
  1. 1745953
    EnKroach : Wed 6th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

The name does not infer any such thing.. Perhaps "StudioBassistRecordingEngineer" would. "PlanetJazzBass" infers this man (or woman) enjoys jazz, possibly a bass player or a fan of jazz bassists, at least that's my quick interpretation.

But lets keep to the point eh?

2. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 7th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

EnKroach:

"That's quite a lot to respond to"

Yes, lots to repond to as there have been some interesting but relevant diversions from the topic.

Good to hear you liked the second track (Way Beyond Wrong). I only mentioned it as an example of the "didn't bother with a separate bassline but I've still got bass" approach to making basslines.

I assume "I've always wanted to master slide guitar" is a separate thought as there's no slide in that track. But there is in the other two links and many more tracks on here. I play slide over a whole load of different styles. If I can make it fit, I'll include it in pretty much any genre.

And no, it's not a big deal that you don't know anything about PlanetJazzBass or aren't able to work out that he is actually a bass guitar that has learned to type that lives on a planet with jazz playing 24/7. Similarly, I don't know if you like to encroach people/things.

I still haven't listened to your links but I promise I will.

3. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 7th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

I tried playing bass once. Sounded awful, so I uploaded 50 or so tracks of it to a website to annoy people. Poor bastards. I wonder whatever happened to them.....

I've gone the other way with the bass issue. I had no (suitable) guitar for a couple years of recording, and a bass guitar pitched up an octave sounds as bad as an electric guitar pitched down an octave, but I had no option. Glad you could find a work-around with the acoustic. I have never tried, but will now, just to see how it goes. Thank you Mr. Kroach.

As for "fake bass", the closest I will come to it, is using the samples I've recorded of myself playing my bass and play them through Kontakt with a midi keyboard. I've never done it, but if I did, I would make it very clear that I'm not trying to pass it off as actually played. I'd do some hammering 64ths that go all over the place. Ah,.... this may happen! A mission.

4. 588276

The Bass Bro has spoken!

"using the samples I've recorded of myself playing my bass and play them through Kontakt with a midi keyboard."

That reminds me of another little bass technique I've done only a few times over the years.

I took some of my bass guitar playing and chopped it up into a REX file and reimported that into a REX file player in one of my DAWs (Reason).

So, the playing is now laid out across the keyboard keys. Then I triggered those bits of playing back in off the keyboard, which is really weird because the keys no longer represent chromatic notes but different bits of playing, of varying length. Could be a 2 second phrase or a half second little slide or whatever.

What's the point?

I'm not sure except that it's a way to do something a bit different with some of your existing bass playing.

It's sampling your own instrument playing and then replaying it from a keyboard, which is strange and kind of fun.

5. 951439

"which is really weird because the keys no longer represent chromatic notes but different bits of playing, of varying length."

What I did was just record the middle-C with it's full sustain, and when you pull that wav into Kontakt, it pitch-shifts that note all across the keys, so you play the actual notes with the keyboard, and it's your actual playing,..... kinda.

6. 588276

"What I did was just record the middle-C with it's full sustain, and when you pull that wav into Kontakt, it pitch-shifts that note all across the keys"

Damn - that's much more advanced sampling than what I was talking about. In my version, it's just exactly the same notes, not timestretched or repitched or whatever.

I did not know you had Kontakt and am slightly surprised.

I'm sure it's something I'm really missing out on. If I did get it, I bet I'd go crazy and buy squillions of different libraries.

7. 951439

I use Kontakt for samples like what I've shared with you from Samplephonics, like the kalimba and other sampled instruments.

I've never properly set up an instrument in kontakt, where the keys are individual samples of each note. I just pull the C into kontakt and play the transposed notes. Too high or too low sounds like ass, but staying within a few octaves sounds alright.

And Kontakt came with my DAW. Studio One came with a demo and I'm still using it. It shuts down every five minutes, but I just write down the settings and parameters and spend 12 seconds reloading when it quits. Not a bother. Try it. Kontakt demo is free on this sites Software dept.

8. 951439

I lied. Seems Kontakt is no longer available on this site. Reaktor is there from NI, but no Kontakt.

I hang my head.

9. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@EnKroach

Just to follow up here. Thanks for responding back. I noticed you said you are new here. Welcome to the loop man! Have fun here. Mr. Funk!

10. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

Evisma Kontakt came free with your daw!? It surely is just the kontakt player right? That is one expensive plug-in. It cost me 399 dollars.

11. 951439
    Evisma : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

Not sure. My DAW also came with Melodyne, and that costs a few bucks. Studio One 2 Professional. No library came with Kontakt, I use it's browser and bring my sampled bass guitar wavs into the player.

12. 1745953
    EnKroach : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@ MrFunk

Thank you for the warm welcome, although I think I'll be keeping out of the forums, it's seemingly not a very friendly place. I'll be sure to head over to your page when I'm free.

13. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@EnKroach..the only disparaging comment which could be interpreted as unfriendly in this whole thread is when you told Spivkurl to pull his head out of his arse....The Looperman forums are generally quite amicable, just take into consideration that this place is full of many experienced producers and musicians who when they see something that doesn't quite gel with them will query or wish to discuss it.....don't take it personally, oh and welcome to Looperman! cheers :)

14. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 8th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

I would admit to being an experienced hijacking pirate musician with his head in his arse though... don't worry about it.

15. 1745953
    EnKroach : Sat 9th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@ Mr Bass I took his chuckle as a mockery of my understandable ignorance, an ill-mannered and unnecessary act in my eyes.

As to your latter point one could be easily fooled by the multitude of fifteen years old producers in search of their rap gods for their "fire mixtapes" (For free no less) dwelling in the forums.. It's good to hear otherwise.

Thank you for the welcome, but enough of this nonsense, there is music to be made.

16. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Sat 9th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

Welcome to Looperman and cool tip :D I never tried that as I own 2 basses but cool idea! Vst's have come a long way but I still don't think they can ever match real imperfect human performance, come close but not match it. There's always music to be made!! Just killing time as my music video uploads to yt. The forums erupt now and then with arguments and such but for the most part everyone here is more than willing to help and share their knowledge/skills.

17. 588276
    StaticNomad : Sat 9th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

EnKroach:

Well, I finally got round to listening to your examples, as promised.

I do like the sound of the bass in Dusk2

Exactly as I've been saying in this thread, with various people saying no: guitar dropped down an octave can make a perfectly good bass. Not exactly the same as bass g but who cares about that?

That recording/composition also has some pretty cool, ethereal guitar tones that are right up my street.

Her's bass I don't think is as good. The tone just doesn't seem to have as much punch and low end. Not bad just not great.

18. 585633
    topvega : Sat 9th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

I bought Trilian Bass Module from Spectrasonics and have been amazed at how "real" it can sound. Still getting the feel for it as I am not a MIDI guy. It was a bit pricey but seems worth it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce_nHCMkerM

tv

19. 1745953
    EnKroach : Sun 10th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@Static

The bass in Dusk was created with the original tip, the other was just an electric guitar pitched down, no double tracks, no alternate takes. Inferior.. I love the track though.

Thanks for listening.

Thanks for the tip Vega.

20. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Tue 12th Jan 2016 : 6 years ago

@topvega

Ahhh the great Trilian. I bought Scarbee Rickenbacker Bass instead. I'm not a bass player, and after messing with it and using it's articulations I could have convinced myself it was a real bass if I wasn't the one who bought it.

I liked it because of the few rock and metal presets/styles it had. It's so easy to mix too thanks to the many articulation choices.

21. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 3rd Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

For anyone who wonders if guitar can be used to generate some decent basslines, I submit my latest track:

A Different Kind of Dangerous

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/174623

It has a lot of bass but features no bass instruments. It's all processed guitar playing. You could say I've cheated a bit as it's not clean, smooth bass but all distorted. Yet I still feel it's got some serious low end so give it a go and let me know what you think.

22. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 4th Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

Ahh I am the King of the fake bass, and I don't apologize one bit.
    https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/145766

Frog Bass at it's finest.

That being said I have a great admiration for bass players and love to compose moving bass lines as opposed to some of the more static stuff I have heard used as bass lines.

23. 588276
    StaticNomad : Fri 4th Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

"love to compose moving bass lines as opposed to some of the more static stuff"

Static stuff is no good. Gotta keep it moving and wandering about all over the place like a true nomad.

24. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 4th Mar 2016 : 6 years ago

Ahh totally missed that Pun which was not intended...lol

Posts 26 - 49 of 49

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.