See our Outer Space RE-201 emulator By AudioThing Review

Ive Been Tasked With Making Grime Music

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 1745953
    EnKroach : Sun 3rd Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

Advice.. Bet you were thinking something else :)

I've been tasked with making grime music, I don't really know what grime is and my research yields little fruit.

My background is heavy metal and breakbeat, genres that usually require skill and talent, whereas all of the grime music I've listened to (pro & amateur) seems to be driven by ego and basic beats.

My question is three-fold:

How do I learn the mechanics of a genre without becoming insane and hateful from it's seemingly generic feel.

How do I deal with any egotistical clients (rappers) without giving them a lesson in humility.

And lastly do you have any advice on separating personal sentiment from your creations.. They are our babies after all.

Thank you for your time :)

A little disclaimer, I understand I'm relatively ignorant to the genre and would be willing to change my perceptions given good enough reason.

2. 1744297
    Unknown User : Sun 3rd Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

The only advice I can offer you is.... Youtube!
    Hunt down a "Grime" channel and pick out some tracks for reference. With your reference tracks just join the dots and ask your self what do they all have in common? As for the rest of your queries, well, just focus on the finish line. You will probably find that you will learn some stuff along the way (may not be useful stuff).
    Also if you find it generic then why not put a little "EnKroach twist" on it...
    Good luck mate!

3. 1745953
    EnKroach : Sun 3rd Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

Thanks for the tip dude.. I've found a lot of instrumentals on YT that are bearable, it's an interesting genre, if it wasn't for the vocalist's egos and vitriol. I feel there's a lot of room for innovation.

4. 1706010
    Problemssss : Mon 4th Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

I'm assuming you mean hip hop ? If so, how far back have you looked into the genre ?

5. 1745953
    EnKroach : Mon 4th Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

Nope, grime.. UK Grime.. Think Luna C, Shotty Horror.
    No offence but if you're American I doubt your advice would serve me well, on the genre that is.

I know a fair amount of hip-hop, tried my hand at it once or twice.

6. 1706010
    Problemssss : Mon 4th Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

Oh ok no it doesn't seem I can help you then . Sorry for misunderstanding

7. 1745953

Np :)

8. 1250729
    Paganini : Mon 4th Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

" And lastly do you have any advice on separating personal sentiment from your creations.. They are our babies after all. "

I will focus on a rather important part on that quote: " they are our babies after all. " I'll clarify it; " They are a part of our soul. "

And that's rather paradoxal since you can't separate personal feelings/sentiments from your own soul; it's going to be a representative part of yourself.

Don't look at it like it's a negative thing, I always try to infuse my " at the moment " feeling on my loops, and it seems that it's a major factor of why my creations are useful, in my opinion.

9. 1250729
    Paganini : Mon 4th Jan 2016 : 5 years ago

Sorry, forgot to answer the two other parts of the question.

"How do I learn the mechanics of a genre without becoming insane and hateful from it's seemingly generic feel."

You have to master the basics of the genre, that's how you will be able to analyse and see what makes their sound generic. Then, when you pretty much got that feeling, twist it, play with it, make it your toy until you get the feeling that suits it the best in your opinion.

It's a very boring step, but very primordial. Heck, 80% of that step is basically listening to that genre.

" How do I deal with any egotistical clients (rappers) without giving them a lesson in humility. "

Don't. They're here for your talent, and you're here to get money, period. Business is business, I don't think you have " life coach " tattoed on your forhead, do you?

Side note; if they really piss you off, get the money and never do business with 'em again.

10. 1745953

Thank you for the perspective, it'll certainly be taken on board.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums