Making Looperman Albums

Posts 1 - 25 of 31
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 19th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

What if we compiled multiple albums of 10-13 songs from LM members (approved for use by their owners) that we could allow for free download to the public? Might help spread the word about LM and get people involved. Maybe even hold a contest to submit your best work in a particular genre and the top 10-13 get put on the album?

ER

just an idea :3 prolly a little ruff round' the edges!

2. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 19th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Interesting idea for sure! Would there be an album for each genre or something? That would get a bit hard to manage, but would appeal to more people probably. A single album with multiple genres might represent Looperman a bit more though, considering the variety of artists on here. Worth pondering.

3. 535712
    johnbazooka : Sat 19th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Various Artists - LooperMan Colective Vol. 1

4. 1603105
    8Kass8 : Sun 20th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

i like that idea :)

5. 756701
    Vano : Sun 20th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I like this idea as well.

6. 1552665
    Silenttwilight : Sun 20th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

This sounds like a great idea and would be a great opportunity to promote the site as a whole

7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sun 20th Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Imagine - we could have like 6,7,8 or 9 different albums with a ton of great content from all our active members. Would be pretty cool imo :) I wonder what Shan thinks.

8. 588276
    StaticNomad : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

This is actually a rather good, simple idea. I'm now going to mention my earlier simple, good idea of people's favourite Looperman tracks as I belive it has some relevance.

See here:
    https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/182742/what-are-your-favourite-tracks-on-looperman

So, I'm thinking that one way of choosing some of these albums would be to compile a list of all people's favourite Looperman tracks as they are presumably the best Looperman has to offer.

There's so much content on the site that I can't think of any other particular way to choose material for albums.

So, people submit what they think are the best tracks on the site (as in my thread) and then we find some way of compiling albums out of those tracks, which is no doubt a subject which will be highly, highly contentious.

For instance, we can argue all day about whether there should be a straight blues album or if should be a blues and blues rock album.

Similarly: tech house or tech and deep house?

Shitty, modern histrionic wubstep or earlier dubstep that actually has some dub in it?

Instrumental hip hop, hip hop with vocals or a mix of the two?

I don't think most of the music I make fits in any obviously named genre so I wouldn't expect any of it to be chosen if albums are being compiled by obvious genre name.

9. 1195092
    Couchie : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

to take the idea a step further:

where would the best place be to promote such an 'album'? I imagine it won't be a physical CD but rather placed upon another site such Bandcamp. This would require further promotion to attract attention to it. A track I did with MSoundTech (who i met here) has had over 1000 listens in one month on one site and 70 listens on another. So choosing the best place to promote the music is important or otherwise it becomes a less than valuable activity.

A second thought - many of the tracks here are mp3, i think WAV sounds better, so would the tracks need to be shared through another means to get the best quality?

Just adding thoughts to an interesting idea.

10. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Couchie, regarding your first point, I think it should be both physical CD and online distribution. Which relates to my response to you "second thought."

Yes, wav files are a must have if this is to be quality and consistent... especially with a CD. On the other hand, that is not totally representative of the Looperman site... except that the loops here are in wav format. It would be a cool way for people to hear the songs in higher quality though.

11. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I agree with the comment about choosing the right place. That remains to be decided. But who would make the call for what goes on the albums? I tribunal of sorts? Kinda like a vote-based acceptance. Get a number of various songs and put them up for a vote with the tribunal. Every song that gets a certain amount of votes goes on the album? I don't know if genres should be the way to go. I was thinking just a compilation but that's just something I think. It might be easier doing it the compilation way at least.

12. 756701
    Vano : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I think a compilation would be for the best. I also think that newer songs should be considered. No disrespect to the https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/182742/what-are-your-favourite-tracks-on-looperman thread but that was 9 months ago. I personally know that my own songs on here (at this moment) won't make the cut but besides that newer members might also want to be interested on being apart of this movement. On the other hand, I will work on making better songs that could stand a chance on making the cut. A voting system would only be fair and we vote for those that enter the "competition". That being said, the older uploads can also be entered for us all to vote for. But there needs to be a limit at least, perhaps between 1 to 3 songs per member?

Would a psychical CD be ideal? Of course. But who would print them? Who would have the finances to actually by blank CDs and copy the songs onto them? Who would distribute them? Where will it get distributed to, seeing as Looperman is for everyone world-wide?

We need to be logical about it and only go for a digital album. Where it gets uploaded and who has the final say, I don't know. If Looperman was a record label and some of us were signed, then yes, a psychical CD would've work but we don't have a label's power. We don't have the marketing, or the distribution that a label has. The whole purpose for this is to showcase the talent that we all have; promoting ourselves and also this site. We're far from a commercial/label level and therefore I am against a CD when I think logically about it.

One more thing.. A news letter should get emailed to ALL Looperman members when this whole idea comes into action. I doubt that everyone that logs on goes through the forums and almost sure that not everyone saw this thread but by email, they will read it and more people will get involved.

My only hope is for us all and this site to get more exposure. With the right decisions e.g voting and where it gets uploaded, we'll succeed. Deep down I hope a label will listen to the final compilation and that someone or more of us gets a chance to be signed. We can only hope BUT first we need to take these steps to turn this idea into an action.

13. 1112137
    AngelDelarosaJr : Mon 21st Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Im down for this

14. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I agree with chivano 100%

15. 1195092
    Couchie : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Further thoughts: I would be ok with a council to work on this. Some people are very active in forums, posting loops, long term members etc and I would fine if a few of those got together to make executive decisions, delegate responsibility etc I think Mr Looperman himself needs some involvement.

Not everyone checks in to forums often but still value Looperman - so if there could be some email to members who have been active over the last 6 months (or something ) that would be good, but I guess only Looperman could do this.

The other side of me thinks - check in be active and get involved, for "u shall be chosen" - cue thunderous voice with added echo. But in all honesty I am not that cut throat.

Obviously ppl must 'want' to be involved.

Once this has been done it could be become a biannual event. If ppl are prepared to have the photos posted etc it could attract attention of online music magazines eg Music Radar, Music Tech, Future Music Producer Magazine and other such places that I am sure u know of. Looperman attracts a wide range of ppl from young teenagers to ppl who have made music for 50 years to those with professional experience. There is a story there IMHO

16. 1067747
    dyldonomus : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

this is a awesome idea lol

17. 1301245
    orelqr : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I think we should Do albums For each Big Genre, Like Pop, Trap, EDM And some of its Sub Genres in like 2 or 3 albums (Big Room, Dubstep, Progressive house, Electro and more...)
    A chill music album and others...

18. 1301245
    orelqr : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

This idea of making a looperman Album would promot lots of people and more people will hear about looperman.

19. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Just a few things to think about....don't take these comments as negative,as this idea has been done before and there were a few issues,an album did get off the ground but crashed after 6 months on itunes,it was ages ago,something about the guy that started it's production company folding....be prepared for an acrimonious track selection processes,it's unavoidable unfortunately,if you treat it as a democracy where everyone has a say you'll never get off the ground....don't expect Looperman to fully endorse this project,last time it was mooted a title of 'artists from looperman' or 'various looperman artists' was the closest approximation to an acceptable title for Looperman..anything that says or infers that it has 100% Looperman approval will probably be vetoed,it was last time.....save yourself a whole lot of drama and take charge of the whole process from start to finish,you'll put in a lot of work and probably get little gratitude for it in the end but it will eliminate a lot of arguing along the way......having said all that I wish you the best of luck I know your being 100% genuine here.

20. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

PJB, you are the voice of reason in this thread for sure. This quote - "save yourself a whole lot of drama and take charge of the whole process from start to finish,you'll put in a lot of work and probably get little gratitude for it in the end but it will eliminate a lot of arguing along the way" really says it all. Contact the individuals who make tracks you want to include, get their permission, and then keep it as a way to promote the artists. There are after all over 93000 songs on Looperman and everyone will have their own ideas about what to include... regardless of level of involvement, stats, downloads or whatever. The democratic way is pretty flawed - a good example of this is the green party here in the USA, they are involved and they good a considerable percentage of votes, however they are not allowed to participate in debates. I would think that the same thing would be applicable for genres... for example 8-bit chiptune, jazz and things like that.

21. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Hmmmm, what if we put one individual in charge for each genre? I could do pop songs, someone can do electronic/house, another trap/rap, etc.

22. 699821
    mudhoen : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

I think the idea is very good and executable. But, in my opinion, to make the album comercially viable you should make an album for each genre OR different genres but with one specific theme. Also an idea is to put on collabs only. The reason is that it shows the power of looperman and that is combining musicians/producers.

23. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Yeah, this is nice idea. I have seen it suggested a few different times over the years but its a lot easier said than done. Typically Looperman (Sean) as PJB pointed out, has not embraced the idea. In theory, it seems simple enough but in reality its not. Some of the issues have already been presented. I don't think its impossible to do. It is however difficult, time consuming and will require $, especially if you intend to produce CD's.
    Keep that in mind.

24. 588276
    StaticNomad : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Interesting comments, people.

I suspect this sort of album won't happen because it's too damn complicated choosing which tracks to include.

The simplest way would be for Mr Looperman himself to choose how it's run as it's his site and this, I guess, would kind of be a promotional tool for it.

But I have no idea if he has any interest. Democracy won't work on this as someone still has to compile it all. There is also the issue of mastering - that might need to be done to get all the tracks to sit nicely next to each other. Or maybe that's not absolutely necessary. I'm no mastering engineer so I'm not sure.

"Also an idea is to put on collabs only."

That's a good idea and here's another:

As this is predominantly a loop site, an album of tracks made entirely from freely available loops on the site would seem to be very suitable to promote what is available.

EpicRecord did a good track like that recently and I'm pretty sure Spivkurl also did one in the last year.

25. 756701
    Vano : Tue 22nd Sep 2015 : 6 years ago

Adding to Mudhoen, "Also an idea is to put on collabs only. The reason is that it shows the power of looperman and that is combining musicians/producers.".. This is what we ultimately need to achieve. If for instance I make a rap song and someone as a listener likes the beat, I want to be able to say "X made the beat. He/she is also a member of Looperman!" No disrespect to the people that only come here to promote their soundcloud pages ect but I feel like they need to be excluded for this project. If they have a good amount of tracks, loops, acapellas on here and also have their soundcloud on their profile, then yes. But not those people that's like "listen to my stuff on soundcloud" but they basically have nothing uploaded on here. There's also acapellas with A LOT of downloads, which is cool, but some of those artists are not actively involved on Looperman. Should they be included?

Posts 1 - 25 of 31

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.