Simple And Small Stuff

Posts 1 - 6 of 6
  1. 1021431
    GoldenOokami : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

Hey everyone! Hope you all are doing well. I have been with Looperman.com for over 2 years, and I can say I've grown with alot of the many members here. There's been something that I have noticed. Nothing huge, and is most likely minuscule to most of you guys.

One of the things that I would like to talk about is the punctuation limitations of the track titles. I often forget not to add commas and apostrophes in titles where they should be appropriately placed. It is a bit heartbreaking when you look down at the corner of your screen, watching as the amazing website loads your brand new spankin' track that you just made or mastered, from 0 to 100%. Then you are greeted to the page again with errors due to a simple punctuational correctness, but error on here. Not complaining though! At least, you can still fix it quickly! But would it be possible to include punctuation in titles like the apostrophes or parenthesis/brackets? The hyphen seems a bit lonely sometimes being the only one accepted.

Hahah, yes I am being silly. But ultimately, would the day of more punctuations for titles be coming for us Loopers? What are you guy's thoughts?

2. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

Well this is not really a question for the community at large in my humble opinion. I suspect Mr. Looperman will chime in pretty soon on this one. But, if you ever wrote code before in the past as I have done from where you are seated this may seems small, and fair enough. But from a programmers and database admins perspective this can be a bit of a nightmare.

When load a track or search for a track that has lets say certain non-alphanumeric characters you could potentially cause the systems that it runs on to potentially work extremely harder than it needs to and especially if it is getting queries from all over the world. In addition to that some of these non-alphanumeric characters may also serve as special operators for other things in the backend code.

In any regard such things like this can lead to more maintenance due to corruption, which translates to potentially more downtime for fixing corrupt databases. I spent many weekends fixing databases because of things like this. So is this the issue here? No one can say for certain except the Looperman. Bottom line, do not push hard for non-alphanumeric characters here, but I know you were just curious. He knows and is probably addressing it in accordance with his priorities I can only assume.

3. 308224
    theHumps : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

...or the new self defeating cookie banner that tells you to enjoy the site more as it takes up 20% of the screen. It's there even when you are logged in. jeesh

Pretty unnecessary as we all know what cookies are and do.

4. 1
    Looperman : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

aside from the fact you get people posting title full of exclamation marks etc its easy code wise to keep things clean.

As for the cookie notification its European law that dictates i have to give you a notice that cookies are in use and give you the option to not use the site if you are not happy about them.

All you have to do is click "got it" and the notice should be gone for a year. Its should also be no bigger then about 100 pixels from the top of the screen

5. 308224
    theHumps : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

damn Europeans! It's all Greece's fault, lol.

In order to read the text on looperman I enlarge the screen in my browser on both my imac and lappy. Lappy is hooked to 32" tv via hdmi. By doing that I am enjoying the site to it's fullest without causing me eye strain. I don't need to be 6" away from the screen either to enjoy the site. By enjoying the site how I enjoy the site also enlarges the banner at the same time taking up about 20% of the screen.

How about you just let it scroll off the top. Clicking something seems unnecessary. Other sites use the same tactic to change your cookie settings in your preferences to allow cookies and to install malware on computers. Sorry but this site is as susceptible to hackers as much as any other.

6. 1021431
    GoldenOokami : Thu 13th Aug 2015 : 7 years ago

I completely understand @MrFunktastic. I hadn't realized the process of everything like that. Thanks for explaining it to me. And Mr Looperman, I can see how that would become an issue. Now that I think of it, it's probably better if we keep things simple as they are. :)

Posts 1 - 6 of 6

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.