Microsoft Released Windows 10 Today

Posts 1 - 23 of 23
  1. 1
    Looperman : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago So windows 10 has been officially released today and offers free upgrades to anyone with previous versions of windows.

Early reviews seem to paint a pretty positive picture with the OS being more in line with Windows 7 and the mistakes of Windows 8 being ditched.

Ive read that the upgrades are being rolled out in waves and that those who already showed an interest will get a notification when their system is available to upgrade.

As Windows 10 has been a long time in development Im guessing 99% of software will be compatible from the off. I dare say there will be some stuff that will need an update too though.

I thought I'd start this thread for everyone to post their thoughts and also to let each other know how they have been getting on and if they ran into any issues with their audio software or hardware.
  2. 630386
    JosephFunk : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago Compatibility has always been an issue. Saying that 99%of software might be compatible might be a mistake Mr. Looperman. People who use Windows 7 may have legacy apps that are bound closer to Windows XP, 32 bit apps, legacy VSTs, firewire drivers, hard coded dll files tied to a specific version number and a great number of things may not work properly or at all. A lot of Native Instruments programs like Traktor blew up when Windows 8 was released, ASIO and some of Native Instruments apps and Windows 8 collided. Windows 7 support goes OFFICIALLY supported until the year 2020. Because the PC or MAC is at the center of most studios you should research the potential impact to you. Carefully consider the pros and cons. Ideally if you must have Win10, a new Windows 10 PC/Laptop system is preferred rather than an upgrade at this time due to bugs.

A couple of Gotchas maybe, you get Windows 10 for free, everyone likes free, but for the first year only and then you must purchase the upgrade license. Windows 10 is set to Forced updates and their is no GUI function to turn off auto updates. Microsoft has previously released buggy updates on both widows 7 and XP that the Blue Screen of Death crashed peoples computers all over the world as a result, but auto updates was optional then and now it is mandatory. An new OS update is not going to make you sound any better or work any smarter it just might look a bit more pleasing. FYI, ASIO4ALL, or ASIO has not been officially tested or certified for Win10, it has not been declared that it has native support for Windows 10 at this time. I cannot find any support forums for ASIO and Windows 10 which something to consider if something breaks or stops working on your PC based studio and you go looking for help.

Legacy Windows 8 drivers should work but don't count on it in all cases. Many people will have a glitch free experience to Win 10 so I am not saying do not upgrade. What I am saying is do your homework first and be diligent. Windows 10 is released in both 32-bit and 64-bit versions.
  3. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago I think I'm a bit insulated from this topic, as my studio computer has not been connected to the internet for quite some time. I don't get updates to windows 7 at all, and there was nothing that popped up telling me about free windows 10.

After the experience with windows 8 on this primary computer, I will not be getting 10. Basically this computer was completely disabled within months of buying it new. It came with windows 8, and we installed a program to clean up any malware/spyware... it found the dell/windows 8 spying set up, and was completely useless after that. Luckily an ex-friend was into linux and set us up on ubuntu. Even at that, virtualbox has not and will not work to run a virtual windows of any sort.

Windows has been a big disappointment since XP for me, though I do use 7 in the studio, as that is what came with the computer.

I'm paranoid about why they are giving it for free, except for the reason that MrFunktastic gave... it is for a year and you basically have to upgrade. It's like a trap. I don't like traps.
  4. 1
    Looperman : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago My take on it is that they dropped the ball after Windows 7. Windows 8 had very little interest from anyone because 7 worked fine for them. Anyone who had 8 pre installed on their system complained that it caused them problems.

The idea of free upgrades just encourages everyone to end up on the same version. You dont have to upgrade but if you dont do that for free within the year then you have to pay later.

All the reviews I have read so far speak very highly of what has been done in 10.

I myself have been running windows 7 for as long as i can remember and have no problems at all. My system never crashes. Some of that is down to having a decent system built in the first place though.

When I have a bit more time ill run the update and see how things are.

I use software to create a backup image of my system though so if there is ever any problems it only takes me about half an hour to have everything exactly as it was.

I also keep all my data in a different area so there is never a chance of loosing any of that either.
  5. 308224
    theHumps : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago I bought a mac a few years ago, best thing I ever did. Highly recommend to all to do the same. All your daws and plugins will thank you and computing will become fun again.

I occasionally use a dell laptop with a clean version of vista for Audition but it is agony compared to using my mac. I guess with 32 Gb of ram space available(I installed 16 and it flys) things would naturally work better and faster but the OSX is so much more stable and efficient how it works. There is no comparison.

2 thumbs down to microsoft!
  6. 630386
    JosephFunk : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago @Spivkurl

Just to be clear, there will not be any pop ups offering people an option to upgrade to Windows 10 whether machine is connect or offline. That will always be process that people must initiate themselves after word of mouth, ad promos and news about new Windows releases.

The Forced updates only pertain to running Windows 10 systems and the forced updates are mostly, minor patches, security updates and fixes that do not make it into RTM release due to enforced deadlines like code freezes. Just make it stable enough to release and patch, fix and update is typically how it goes.

Network Admins and advanced users could possibly turn off the forced update service in Windows 10 from a system command line prompt.. No one gets a pop up message to upgrade to Windows 10 for free whether online or offline because it is a full upgrade and not just an update.

@theHumps
    Wayne no wonder man, Windows Vista was also called Winbloze. The worst release ever man.
  7. 925296
    MaxxPlaya100 : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago I've installed and tried it out. It seems pretty good and the boot time was fast after a few restarts. The start menu is alright, I had to get rid of a majority of running tiles/apps on there I didn't want. All of my previous installed applications run well. FL Studio is right where I left it, runs normal nothing touched or deleted. Only problem I had was the internet speed is really slow. I've tried Firefox, Opera, and Chrome but it was still slow. Edge was a bit faster than those browsers but not much. I just restored mine back to Windows 7, the internet is speed is alot better and I will most likely wait for about a month or a few to install 10 again. I would want it to be more stable next time around.
  8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago @MrFunktastic- You said 'Just to be clear, there will not be any pop ups offering people an option to upgrade to Windows 10 whether machine is connect or offline. That will always be process that people must initiate themselves after word of mouth, ad promos and news about new Windows releases."

The first I actually heard about windows 10 was people discussing the windows update popping up telling them about the free upgrade to windows 10... I suppose they could be lying, or hired by the competition, who knows?
  9. 951439
    Evisma : Wed 29th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago You will only have to pay if you upgrade after one year. It is free forever if you upgrade within one year of release.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-win_upgrade/will-the-windows-10-upgrade-be-totally-free/e7694f43-4102-4ae0-9b9c-f3fe93a861ca?auth=1
  10. 347760
    PortraitOfABlackHole : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago Spiv, Mr.F: It is not exactly a pop-up, but on the taskbar in the bottom right corner you will see (only if you are online and have the more recent windows 7 updates) and winodws icon, click on it and the pop-up will show telling you about windows 10.

Part of this reasoning is a PR move, so many people were left with a bad taste in thier mouth after wondows 8 that they are gibing people an easy way to try windows 10, if you decide in a year you don't think its worth your monies, you can revert back to 7 provided you do a system image now; and, of course keep seperate any files you collect over said year that you want to keep.
  11. 630386
    JosephFunk : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago Thanks Myxd and Spiv! I got a friend who got a popup and he clicked on it. He thought it was the upgrade and it smashed his computer. I hate it when friends know you have computer skills and they expect you to make things right for them and you never can. Okay the taskbar is the way! Got it!
  12. 1127123
    asidRn : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago LOL @theHumps
  13. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago I think I'm gonna stick with Windows 7 for now.
    I'll have to buy a new computer sometime soon, but I'm gonna hold off as long as possible.
    I've never had a good experience upgrading my OS.

Also, does this remind anyone else of Kingsmen?
    Just saying.
  14. 486477
    GramoChopin : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago With thehumps on this one. Get a mac.
  15. 1127123
    asidRn : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago well, it depends on daw, gramochopin, a mass majority of users here use fl studio. only windows has a stable version of fl studio. once image line releases a stable version to mac (they're still in beta mode right now and slightly behind schedule), then the "get a mac" argument will be more valid for people here. until then... windows 10 it is.

im a logic user by the way.
  16. 1127123
    asidRn : Thu 30th Jul 2015 : 2 years ago *windows, not just windows 10
  17. 71369
    Unknown User : Fri 31st Jul 2015 : 2 years ago still prefer Windows 7
  18. 796294
    silverman : Mon 17th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago Running Windows 10? Microsoft Can Disable Your Pirated Games

It hasn't even been a month since the release of Windows 10 and Microsoft's newest desktop operating system has been stirring up one privacy related controversy after another. The latest addition is company's rather bold decision to change the license agreement, giving it the power to disable counterfeit games and unathorised hardware on computers running Windows 10.
    http://gadgets.ndtv.com/laptops/news/running-windows-10-microsoft-can-disable-your-pirated-games-728129
  19. 796294
    silverman : Mon 17th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago Windows 10 is possibly the worst spyware ever made.

Buried in the service agreement is permission to poke through everything on your PC.

The usual bumps of an OS launch are understandable and forgivable, but some of the terms of the end user service agreement for Windows 10 put the NSA to shame.

Microsoft is already getting heat after it was found that Windows 10 was being auto-downloaded to user PCs without warning, and more seriously, that it was using the Internet connections of Windows 10 users to deliver Windows 10 and updates to others.

But there are worse offenders. Microsoft's service agreement is a monstrous 12,000 words in length, about the size of a novella. And who reads those, right? Well, here's one excerpt from Microsoft's terms of use that you might want to read:

We will access, disclose and preserve personal data, including your content (such as the content of your emails, other private communications or files in private folders), when we have a good faith belief that doing so is necessary to.
    http://www.networkworld.com/article/2956574/microsoft-subnet/windows-10-privacy-spyware-settings-user-agreement.html
  20. 1566714
    Klandestyne : Mon 17th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago i have my music set up on a g5 desktop n have a box standard windoze lappy that i will not be intending to up date shaddy ptb read the terms n conditions i say most people dont
  21. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Mon 17th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago Windows 10 is perfectly OK as it is not a real thing at all. I am still awaiting the physical disk crashing entirely some day due to the excessive processor thinking only
  22. 630386
    JosephFunk : Mon 17th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago Windows 10 is perfectly fine as a desktop OS but it is more cloud centric and Internet aware. Having worked in systems security for several years I can say that Windows 10 is not spyware. Spyware has a malicious intent to commit fraud, steal passwords for ill purposes, break your installed software, steal and use your private and personal info for marketing purposes, siphon off and steal some of your bandwidth, also it can commit identity theft, and it can also slow down the OS and cripples your computer to allow other infectors in while flooding your email with tons of uncanned Spam, from companies and individuals who can careless about their reputations.

What Microsoft is doing is what Google has been doing for many years and no one has really complained about Google. So now we see that Microsoft has taken a page out of Google's playbook I am sure there will be many lawsuits soon amounting to almost nothing but wasted time and money. The Windows business model has changed. Once upon a time they sold an O.S. and that was pretty much that. Windows 10 is more modular and personable in each users experience and their will soon be all sorts of plugins and premium options to keep you paying for it.

What about privacy? All information collecting tools are turned on by default but you can opt out. You cannot opt out of spyware as you know because Windows 10 is not spyware. You can opt out of the Microsoft ad tracking by going to: http://choice.microsoft.com. Also you can turn off Cortana, the info collector!
    http://windows.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows-10/cortana-privacy-faq

And if you are really paranoid about Windows 10 security and need a guide for the best secure practices on Windows 10 then go here: https://fix10.isleaked.com/ Calling windows 10 spyware is kind of irresposible and exposes how uninformed some people are. Knowledge is real power. But I made a choice to keep my studio system in Windows 7 for now as I am no rush to upgrade and all works great here. Read the license before upgrading, it is mostly lawyer speak.
  23. 1463856
    laerisreal : Tue 18th Aug 2015 : 2 years ago I've been looking in to these Windows for some time now. I'm pretty fit with it right now, but is there any computer I should be looking at that might be better for music. Sorry for this oddball question, too, just wondering and this seems like the best place to find info.
Posts 1 - 23 of 23

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Hip Hop Track