Freezes When Working With MIDI On My PT9 Rig

Posts 1 - 21 of 21
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago For some reason, when working with MIDI on my PT9 rig (has 4GB Ram and 250GB HD space), it freezes/crashes/doesn't save at random.

Sometimes, it freezes and then I have to restart the computer to make it work again and I lose my work. Other times, it says "there is not enough memory" even though I stopped all other major processes that are running in the background.

It literally just started this morning and it's annoying the heck out of me. Oddly enough, this only happens with MIDI and I don't see anyone else online with this problem.

If you need more info, let me know.

So....Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

ER
  2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago whoops, 500GB hard drive space, not 250 GB. I also have an older Intel Core 2.
  3. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago Are you using a brand-new plugin/vst?
    Some of them just crash.

The hard drive space doesn't really matter.
    (This comes from my gaming experience.)
    How many GB of RAM do you have?
    Sometimes older computers have trouble running certain processes because of low RAM.

Or maybe I'm totally off-base and someone else has a fix.
  4. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago *Some of them just crash the DAW.
    (That's what I meant.)
  5. 951439
    Evisma : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago "Any ideas as to what the problem might be?"

It has 4GB Ram, and an older Core. I'm guessing it needs more processing headroom. Your comp may have updated Adobe or Flash or something.

That's my couple pennies.
  6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago @siknoiz - I stopped all 3rd party processes because I thought thats what the problem was. I've never had any issues whatsoever before (ive had the rig for about a year now, this only happens when I'm messing with a MIDI plugin that has a lot of audio samples (think 80GB worth).
  7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago @siknoiz - My computer also has 4GB RAM; the plugin has been out since 2012 and has been buggy ever since I installed it a year ago so I refrained from using it until recently. Now the problems are popping up again, ONLY when using that plugin. The problem is that I NEED that plugin right now haha and it's not letting me use it cause PT9 keeps crashing/freezing/not letting me save or bounce almost immediately.
  8. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago @ER
    If your computer only has 4GB RAM that would cause problems.
    Basically, for it to handle all of those audio files at the same time, it probably has to use most if not all of it's processing power. Saving probably throws it over the edge.
    My advice?
    Find a plugin that's friendlier to your computer.
    Sorry. :(
  9. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago Orrrrrrrrr maybe I can buy some more RAM!! I'm going to check now to see if I can add maybe 2 more GBs of RAM. Thanks for the idea :D
  10. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago Strangely enough, I just checked how much RAM PT9 is taking up with this plugin in use. It's only use 1.5 GBs. All the other processes arent even taking up 50 MBs. Hummmmmm
  11. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Tue 30th Jun 2015 : 3 years ago Huh.
    I... I don't know what it could be then.

Wish I could be more help, sorry.
  12. 1195092
    Couchie : Wed 1st Jul 2015 : 3 years ago Im trying to change from my old Cubase Le 5 to the new Cubase 8 Elements. I have had similar issues it seems to be related to conflicts between the 32 bit and 64 bit VSTs. sometimes i need remove them altogether, sometimes i just reinstall the VST and sometimes i just dont touch them. Removing any VST that causes grief has got to be considered. I am far from tech savy (obviously) but with what ive been dealing with lately i'd bet its that. The newer Cubase 8 just doesnt like the 32 bit VSTs. I feel your pain :)
  13. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 1st Jul 2015 : 3 years ago If you get more ram, then using 64 bit software may help you out. From what I've experience and read, the heavy sample based VSTs can benefit more than almost anything from 64 bit with plenty of ram. Each application is allowed more memory usage this way.
  14. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Wed 1st Jul 2015 : 3 years ago Are your plugin's library files stored on the same drive as your operating system,DAW etc...is everything on the same drive?...if so this is your problem you've got a vst data bottleneck...an external drive for large library files solves this even with old dual core rigs (like I currently use,with two I TB external drives)sometimes it takes 30-40 seconds for the files to load but then it's clean sailing.
  15. 1392969
    Zergmazter : Wed 1st Jul 2015 : 3 years ago As far as I know you cannot use a 64 bit software on a 32 bit operating system, so if you are running on a 32 bit operating system, more ram will not help if the plug-in is responsible for maxing out your system, as it will not allocate more than what a 32 bit system allows to allocate.

Also even if all major applications are turned off your pc still has to use ram to run its operating system, then uses the remaining to run whatever else.

Corrupted programs also drain your memory. If this never happened before, and you did not change a thing, this might point to a corrupted something, errors, etc.

I got 8GB of ram 64 bit system and I mess with other programs, and manually allocated more ram to them, and make them a priority within my system.

However with my current specs it is recommended that I leave at least 2-4GB or ram or half of my total ram so my computer can safely run its operating system.

I'd buy more ram, but also that Intel core 2 I dont know...
  16. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 1st Jul 2015 : 3 years ago Wow, thanks for the input guys! I'm just totally confused as to why it did not cause a single problem yesterday but today it wouldn't let me do a thing. Strange haha. I'll look into it, my computer is a little older :P

ER
  17. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 4th Jul 2015 : 3 years ago Just found out I can put in an extra 4GBs of RAM so as soon as I do, expect some more lovely drum loops for you guys and gals :P
  18. 1231236
    joecramer : Sat 4th Jul 2015 : 3 years ago i am not realy sure that the problem starts withthe ram :)

if all works befor nice and then later problem starts, mostly anything changed but mostly not the ram thing :)

can it be that your HD is in 2 or more partitions?
    if, it can be that there are some space problems on just one pratition .......

my daw do same things like dont save. freez or so, if i played maybe a game and the saves go to the wrong HD. Then i lost space and problems starts ..... removeing savefiles in that case helped me ...... but the real problem stops if i had 1 more HD :)
  19. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 4th Jul 2015 : 3 years ago It's definitely a RAM issue. My CPU is hardly being used and the same applies to my disk usage but almost 50% of my current RAM is being consumed by ProTools. Plus, it started saying "there is not enough memory." Soooooooooooooooo I'm pretty confident that it is a RAM issue. :P Only time will tell, though.

ER
  20. 375728
    Cybertooth : Mon 6th Jul 2015 : 3 years ago to be perfectly honest it doesnt sound like a RAM, or even a hardware problem.

That or your RAM is just worn out and dead (do a hardware test to know for sure, theyre usually included in the BIOS before you even load your OS)

Also scan for viruses and run some cleaners
    i recommend C CLeaner
    https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download

Anyways, its most likely poorly handled memory. if your using an old DAW with new synths, believe it or not they do update VSTi's as a whole. I believe the current version is 3.
    on top of that some are not quite as compatible or stable with some DAWs as others.
    for example, if i run SQ8L on Sonar below 44800 sampling rate, my DAW instantly crashes

But honestly, what youve described sounds very simliar to a memory leak. Which will make any amount of RAM useless because it will just flood junk data until your computer dies.

"Corrupted programs also drain your memory. If this never happened before, and you did not change a thing, this might point to a corrupted something, errors, etc."
    ^this. Check your task manager for transports and ghosts that dont close when you close your daw.
    My VSTi/MIDI transporter is called Teleport.exe and its description is bitbridge

Which means that the most likely culprit is the software
    What DAW are you using? and what Plugins are you using that would cause this?
  21. 375728
    Cybertooth : Mon 6th Jul 2015 : 3 years ago correction.
    Current version of VST is 3.5 as of February 2011.
    VST2 is very popular among developers due to its compatibility.
    But i dont know that thats the case anymore considering the development kit was dsicontinued in 2013.
Posts 1 - 21 of 21

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads
Featured Heavy Metal Track