Stop Lying About The Rectangular Waveforms

Posts 1 - 18 of 18
  1. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Well you can call it a rant or a wake up call. But it is bad enough that people do not listen to their own songs or maybe they are headphone producers, but geez, even looperman also allows you to visualize your Waveform output.

So, if your waveform looks like a long straight edged rectangle, "then Houston we GOT a PROBLEM!" Even worse than that, people are afraid to offend their friends. The unnecessary thrashing, distortion and clipping needs to be addressed.

It seems like little to no mastering is done and extremely high gain levels are likely the cause here! If you are new to things then look for more collabs and try some mastering tips and techniques from those youtube videos.

Thank you kindly and G'day to you!

#TellTheTruthAboutWaveforms

2. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

As a fellow audiophile, I agree with Senor Funktastic. If you're gonna compress your song to smithereens, at least do us the courtesy of using a limiter :P

3. 1293607
    Venuslove : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Really Some waveforms are so off the grid and loud as fk its painful

4. 1510112
    ReonN : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Mr Funktastic is right because some people don't give a sht about their songs going off the grid and can make you deaf in minutes. Why can't they just lower the dbm of their songs?

5. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Loudness war... Personally i prefer tracks with dynamics not this brick wall of sound.

6. 841435
    ValveDriver : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Whoever has the most rectangular waveform wins. It's like back in the 80's when Schwarzenegger and Stallone made movies. Whoever had the biggest gun wins. So, each movie, they came out with a bigger gun than the other guys last movie. It's exactly the same concept. It doesn't even matter if it's so ridiculously loud that sound quality is compromised, as long as it's louder than the last guys.

7. 1510112
    ReonN : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Well, it depends if that "loud" sound sounds good because song is different from noise. Just saying....

8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

I totally agree that this needs to be worked on by a lot of people. I have been working hard to inform members around looperman at least for the last year or so. Focusing on mixing techniques and gain staging ideas. I'm glad you brought it up.

I honestly think that the most important thing for people to learn is this: It is almost always better when mixing to chose not to turn up a channel, and instead to turn every channel except that one down. If you think a channel needs focus, and you turn it up accordingly, you risk getting into "fader creep" territory. If your mix is too loud, then it is not ready for export or mastering.

9. 817298
    Enzotic : Wed 20th May 2015 : 6 years ago

Here is a pretty interesting video comparing the loudness of songs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPUdiHEJ0EU

It's interesting that when the Green Day song is turned down, the mix losses a lot of clarity.

10. 828980

Look up Fletcher Munson curves. The louder something gets the more we hear the higher range frequencies. Interesting phenomenom. :D Loudness won....

11. 828980

Interesting video :D Notice the sound quality difference in the dynamic music compared to the over compressed GreenDay.

12. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

When I see a "block" waveform, I don't even listen to that track. #JustSaying. My ears can only take so much.

13. 1095400
    AnalogDisc : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

Ok then I`m not really a forum commenter not even a "loudness war" soldier, but I want to share my opinion maybe an unpopular one.
    I think the waveform depends on the genre what the producer make so I think house has less dynamics than rock example so the waveform changes and they always using pop or rock tracks for example when they make videos about loudness. On the other side there are plenty of songs (here on looperman) that the waveform is so weak (low dB), but still a block and its not even loud, so I think since this is a sound we creating we must judge the sound not how it looks than (of course there is some rules or suggestions we must follow) the qaulity what we listening. I`m not offensive or something just my opinion that`s all. Cheers!

14. 817298
    Enzotic : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

That is definitely true that the dynamic range varies by genre. However, having a "block" can be an indication of a few different things in my opinion. 1) the track was mixed and mastered to be loud. I don't personally have an issue with this if the post production was done well. 2) the loudest element of the track is playing throughout the song. Still not an issue for me if it sounds good.

My third assumption is what bothers me. Many highly compressed tracks (mostly those done by inexperienced individuals) don't sound good at any level due to just throwing a limiter on a mix and turning up the gain until most of the track is playing at the same level.

What really bothers me is that that decision seems to be based on our eyes on a meter and less on our ears (a practice I am sometimes guilty of).

15. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

Dynamics plz. Volume knobs exist.

16. 1231236
    joecramer : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

The first times i saw this "blox" i wonderd how thy did it, cause i never had a waveform like that made by myself.....

Later i figured out that they use compression. Wow, i never used that befor :) .......

I am 100% on Spivkurls side - pull things down and not push them up ..... if all fits (optic isnt the big point, its the sound you just hear) THEN use the master volume and push it slowly up to the point where the highest parts hit the "red line" (while watching and not hearing) .... only sometimes i push it a bit more up (maybe when the highes things are vocals) and use a limiter to cut it .....

If all is made mostly well, then all sounds good. And if it sounds good all is ok. Cause then the listener can push his volume up to the point where he thinks its ok to list to ....

But i have to say that i have listen to serveal tracks with this boxform wave and they sounded good. But like sayed befor from others - thats a genre thing and mostly on instrumental electronic songs ..... I would bet that they didnt sound bader if they didnt have compressed it so much.

17. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Thu 21st May 2015 : 6 years ago

Deadmau5 nails it.
    https://youtu.be/zH_5Ug2iOLU?t=256

18. 1149732
    JayLegend : Fri 22nd May 2015 : 6 years ago

Thank you! Someone FINALLY said something.. but tbh I don't think anything will really change around here XD

Posts 1 - 18 of 18

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.