BIG QUESTION About Cover Songs

Posts 1 - 10 of 10
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 13th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Okay, so I'm working on an acoustic cover of David Crowder's "Come As You Are." My version sounds much different than the original. I was wondering what issues arise if I were to put it on YouTube and call it a "tribute" song of sorts?

ER

2. 1293607
    Venuslove : Fri 13th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Its probably fine as long as you acknowledge and gi'tve credit and arent trying to make a profit from it. Stay within the non-commercial uses

3. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 13th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Understood. I had a feeling it might be okay but just wanted to hear second/third/fourth/x opinions :P

4. 1281572
    promenade2239 : Fri 13th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

okay so my opinion is that you can create and upload everything you want nowadays eventhough your version is different than the original. hope it helps

5. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Fri 13th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

I have no idea.
    I just had my video of my remix of Zedd's I Want You to Know taken down due to copyright claims, even though 90% of the song is completely different.

On the other hand, guys upload entire episodes of Family Guy and receive no flak.

I think it's random.

6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 14th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Yeah, was actually just reading about it and when you upload the video, YT will notify the copyright holder and they have the option to:

1. Take down the video
    2. Let it continue as is
    3. Monetize the video

Usually, copyright holders will go with the last selection (about 85-90%) since it is free advertising but sometimes, they may choose the first option. It's in their power.

7. 1293607
    Venuslove : Sun 15th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

They do trolls peoples accounts accounts even on soundcloud , I know youtube usually mess with people and delete comments too

8. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Mon 16th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Interesting. I'm currently in the process of finalizing a (soon-to-come) music video for the song. :P

9. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 17th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Maybe the best is to create a new youtube account.
    Then call the video a tribute cover song and give full credits and that it is non comercial and so on ..... and if youtube or the company or the artist have any problems with it that you will remove it.

And if they wanna close your accound, then you only loose your "new" account and not your real one :)

but in real it is not ok to change any of the music or words without asking befor ..... if you do just a cover without changing any and make profit, you can do that but you have to pay the owner of the copyrights

10. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Tue 17th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

It would be different if it's a remix. If it was a remix (using stems from the original song) than you can be pulled up for it quite easily by both YouTube and the label if you don't have a DJ licence and/or the labels' permission to do so.

If it's a cover (meaning you've re-performed everything yourself) than YouTube won't have a problem with you posting it, but it does still fall under copyright infringement.

However, if you're not making any money off it (this includes YouTube AdSense) then the copyright holder generally won't care (I once posted a remix and even though it got flagged by YouTube, because I wasn't distributing it or making any money off it the label let me keep it up). In saying that though, you should still try contacting the label for permission first especially if you are distributing it (e.g. allowing downloads).

Basically: if you don't distribute it, don't make money off it, and don't give credit, then you should be fine. If you want to do any of that than contact the copyright holder.

Posts 1 - 10 of 10

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.