Blatant Melody Theft

Posts 1 - 25 of 97
  1. 782612
    40A : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

Now, before this turns into a dog and pony show about the "artistic creative license", and the whole shtick about how it's an "impossibility" to claim ownership of a melody (even though there's corporations and billion dollar organizations like the RIAA, MPAA and their international siblings whose very existence serves to disagree fiercely on that opinion).

Looperman ISN'T a corporation or an organization and so, we shouldn't derail the actuality of this particular case to a discussion of artistic creativity beyond the scope of our humble "four-walls".

Looperman also isn't a court-of-law, but I'm not looking for a prosecution...I'm looking to uphold a non-toxic community. Thank you.

k lets start.

Exhibit A. )

This is a loop uploaded by my friend:

https://www.looperman.com/loops/detail/81713

Exhibit B. )

This is a loop uploaded 8 hours later by a user by the name of "MamaGBeats"

https://www.looperman.com/loops/detail/81738

Exhibit C. )

This is what happens when both loops are transposed on-top of each other:

http://www.mediafire.com/listen/8b04cpmc31448pr/Transposed+Comparison.wav

(I don't apologize for the comments i left on MamaGbeats loop page, i just get so passionate sometimes....~~~)

Now, it's VERY hard (and i mean almost an impossibility) to say that this guy, not even 8 hours later, in the same genre, happened on an 95% identical progression and to assume this was the work of sheer, random...coincidence.

The only reason why MamaGbeats' melody isn't a spitting image of Liddell's, is because any further duplication of the notation/articulation would be LITERAL plagiarism.

So what did he do? He changed the key, reduced the tempo, and only took the chords. He even took the triplet articulation.

2. 1289219
    LiddellC : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

Knowing this by fact, you have more chances of getting struck by a lightning several times than to make an exact same loop with the same articulation and chords, and, cherry on top of the cake, in a 8 hours time laps.

Please, let us know your thoughts about this.

3. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

The sad thing is that this actually happens all the time.
    I mean, just look at all of the Terror Squad Ripoffs.
    Hell, I've even made a few. (Those are satire though.)

I did the math, don't worry.
    At the bpm of 110 (the bpm of the loops in question), within the space of four bars there are 8448 possible combinations of notes, not accounting for various length differences.

So, yeah. That guy totally stole your buddy's melody.

4. 923827
    TapeLoops : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

You guys are absolutely stupid. HAHAHAHAHA.... man! This is unbelievable. HAHAHAHAHA. Oh God pleas! Ok. Let me sag this. I made a loop with a F# chord. (I´m very sorry it was the melodie-rythm you invented before humanity). You said i changed the chord! I changed the speed! And i changed the instrument! HAHAHAHAHA! You cant be serious! This is so stupid. Its the same like i would say to another guy he stole my idea, but he changed everything. But the best thing is. There are some guys who supports you and your "opinion". Im about 10 years older than you are. I dont think i need to steal your stuff ive never heard before. Its unbelievable. I cant believe it! This is so stupid.

5. 186161
    Spivkurl : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

I have to say that it's ridiculous to complain about someone else making something that sounds slightly like something a friend of yours made, when it is obviously just generic pop junk which everyone has done before. If you chose to sound like everyone else, then it stands to reason that everyone else will sound like you.

6. 923827

Thank you @Spivkurl. This is what i was trying to explain to him. That about 20.000 other ppl before us made this kind of melody or melody-rythm.

7. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

I have to agree with Spiv on this one. Seems a little preposterous to propose such a "theft." Honestly, I had to go back and listen to Exhibit A because I didn't hear any noticeable similarities to MamaGBeats' loop. Haha. Just my two cents.

8. 1289219

@Spivkurl I am not complaining about the fact that he made something that is slightly different than mine.

The thing is, please review 40a's, skinoiz and my arguments, it is near impossible to make something exactly, or near exactly in a short laps of time.

Do you seriously think that it's a mere coincidence ? This is more a pattern to me.

9. 1414881

That's what Looperman is for - to give loops to others without any "copyrights" or so attached. Now, if it were a vocal melody with words, THEN it gets on soiled ground. But it's not. It's just a loop. Even if MamaGBeats wanted to copy the loop and change it up, there's nothing wrong with that. It's a free loop, no copyright (if I remember correctly, we agree to that when we post our loops on Looperman) is implied.

10. 1414881

I don't mean to flood but I'm listening to Exhibit A and B and they don't even follow the same chord progression. A goes through a few chords while B stays on the same chord the entire time, with different instruments and slightly different note pattern. So not a theft by any means whatsoever in my book.

11. 923827

HELLO! I dont know what you think i am! Oh man! Im lying here on my carpet and cant believe this situation!
    If I had really stolen it from you... believe me. Then I would have already been deleted it. I´m making music since 15 years. I would never steal from you or anybody else. Oh man!

12. 1416774
    SikNoiz : Sat 7th Mar 2015 : 4 years ago

@EpicRecord

You're missing the whole point, though.
    It's not about distribution. My guess is, this probably wouldn't have happened if Mamagbeats had just added this in the loop description: "This was based off of LiddellC's loop that you can check out here! *insert loop link*"

It's about him claiming that he made the melody himself. It's not horribly unique, it's just that the odds are against him happening upon the same melody at all, let alone within 8 hours. Credit should go to LiddellC, that's it.

13. 923827

Thanks @EpicRecords. I dont know what to do. Because they try to destroy my image with things ive never did. Im so angry.

14. 782612

Okay, spiv...that's all fine and dandy, i've always appreciated your perspective because it's always been objectively neutral, but it's been that way to a fault. You could've just as easily have said "i don't care" and it would have changed nothing in your reply, because you completely ignored glaring evidence.

There's common sense, and then there's facts. Whether or not this particular melody is basic or popular or mainstream doesn't change the reality and the overwhelmingly improbable statistics of what's being presented here.

I've personally never heard anything even remotely similar to what Liddel made, and if it's so common i dually await examples of this progression in the genre that's in question.

I've also never heard of a situation where an almost exact copy of that melody can be reconstructed in less than 10 hours, to the T. We're talking progression, we're talking, genre, we're taling, articulation...

Whether you want to be the medium of logic here, is totally your prerogative, but the implications of your indifference when presented with the most profane amounts of evidence, simply for the sake of being objective...

that's, actually, the ridiculous part.

15. 1414881

I find it funny that you guys actually think its copying haha. It really is silly to claim he's copying Liddell. Liddell follows a chord progression while Mama doesn't. That in and of itself is proof enough that Mama is not copying you guys.

16. 1289219

@EpicRecord That is not the case.

I think you didn't read the entire head-post.

Please check exhibit 3.

17. 1414881

I have checked Exhibit C. But that's like me saying that Chris Tomlin is stealing my chords because he's using an acoustic guitar and playing the same progression I am in my song. Its foolish to say that. And that fact that you have to TRANSPOSE to make them even sound similar is stretching it pretty far to say he's stealing.

18. 923827

This is so unrealistic...
    Yes im stealing from you. Because your loops are the best in the world. Just because you played one chord in Fruity Loops you think your a musician. This is so embarrassing. One of my best friends is one of the famous musicians in the Balkan. But yeah, i need to copy your stuff. Because your loops are famous. Because i have no own ideas. I cant believe that you can believe this situation by your own. Im crying.

19. 1414881

EVEN when theyre transposed on top of each other - Exhibit A is still playing a chord progression that Exhibit B does not follow. Again, that is proof enough to me that he is not copying your loop.

20. 923827

Thank you @EpicRecods

21. 1289219

@EpicRecord: We are talking about the articulation here, pal.
    Your argument that both of them doesn't follow the same chord progression is fair and simple. We didn't say that he used the chord in the same key.

We, here, are talking about the articulation, which is a subjet that, in my opinion, you try to avoid since it's our best argument.

22. 923827

I swear! Everybody of you who supports me is getting my BoomBap VST for free! Coming Soon!

23. 923827

Just give me your emails! This is so silly. I still cant believe it!

24. 782612

EpicRecords, i don't know you, and i don't know what you do, but let's bury the whole arbitrary side taking shit. There's a good reason why they aren't 100% matches, because it would be literally stealing, so why not do the next best thing, and just take the chords and even the same articulation.

Changing the key, and the tempo, doesn't automatically make a melody immune to comparison, because the point that you're missing is, is when Liddel's Loops is transposed to the same key, to the same tempo, both loops...connect EXACTLY, they shake hands, EXACTLY.

I honestly don't care, if you think that i had to paint the key pink, and had to jiggle it a bit more to prove that they open the same door. It's the fact that they open the same door at all is the evidence that is being supported here.

25. 1414881

Of course, if they're matched up to the same tempo they're going to match. Nobody will listen to a song with two melodies playing two different tempos. And concerning the articulation, I can say right now that it is not the first time someone has used your style of playing Liddell. You're really nitpicking at this haha. I find it funny that you guys are just so fired up over two 5 second loops. LOL

Posts 1 - 25 of 97

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads