Any Recommendations For Animation Artists Please

Posts 1 - 12 of 12
  1. 1031567
    obmij : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Hi all,

I've had this vision....it's a strong one, for a video (over one of my electronica songs). It could only really be pulled off and done the way I want through digital animation.

I've looked around at courses, online communities and I must say - I'm intrigued and impressed. Can't say how long it'd take me to get to the level I'd need, but I reckon - 1 year minimum.

Meanwhile, I've scouted a little bit. Met an American living in Japan with an anime studio and he's quoting some rather large dollar signs with a lot of zeros after them.

I can spend some money, but if a project like this (3 min song) is as expensive as all that, I'll just study the craft myself.

I want a style that is very original (as the animated sequences were in "The Wall," when that film first came out)..., it would need to feature (at least) 12-15 different characters and transition well to actual reels of motion.

Does anyone here know any animators or have used any that may be up for a short project?

Thanks in advance.

2. 268784
    3n0 : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

animation takes a a lot of time and no one will do it for free.
    i think just 2d line art characters animation is around 500$ per minute (professional animator).

3. 782612
    40A : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I giggled @ "1 year minimum". 1 year minimum doesn't even qualify you as an MSpaint artist. It'll take 1 year just to learn the verbiage. You know when someone mentions a topic you have no personal experience with, but have skimmed half an article over @ wikipedia or watched a 20m documentary on t.v? That's what 1 year gets you in animation.

If you want it done right you'd go through the right channels and pay the right people to handle your vision properly. Or you could use a bit of bargaining and incentivize the commercial profits, split some stakes, offer some shameless brand placements, etc.

Easier said than done, but i'm sure there are thousands of interns who'd do at least some of what you're asking totally for free. As long as their name is plastered all over that work. Reputation and resume hold more stock than a one-time-fee imo.

4. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

It's not really the right place to look for that kind of thing. I've seen a few peeps post up here that do game graphics but never an animator. I would have thought youtube would be a better place to start. There must be hundreds of animators on there looking to make a name for themselves. why don't you try there?

5. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

There's alot of great programs out there and a hole lot of learning to do! I've been experimenting with a bit of animation myself. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPXONhhZFXA this was made with adobe photoshop and after effects, and I used a loop from here (screams from the otherside). Then for free you can get Daz3D http://www.daz3d.com/home There's a ton of free models and animations available for it. All you can do is try it out and keep learning, we all have to start somewhere! It is time consuming, that 30 second video took a couple hours. Good Luck with your project :D

6. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sun 18th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

@phatkats4 - That's pretty good for a couple of hours work. You should do more.

7. 828980

working on more FR It's very time consuming, something I haven't had alot of free lately. Free video loops can be found just like music loops, there's also pay ones. You tube is loaded with tutorial videos on making animations, using the software ect. Really now a days with the internet, anything you're interested in you can learn about. I have to agree animation is very complex! I'm just an amateur with minimal knowledge and a little practice with photoshop and after effects. It's really amazing what people can do now! Check out this guy's work, https://www.youtube.com/user/cyriak Watching these inspired me to try my hand at something like it :D I have 3 videos up on YT and a couple I've not completed, one is just unsuitable to be posted publicly, it's a dude getting a bit friendly with a sheep :O I've got to finish up the one for "Demons in the sky"-Alien Symbiosis. I got the beginning done where the guy is sleeping in his bed and the aliens show up in their saucer and beam him up LOL! I know absolutely nothing about texturing and all that technical stuff, makes my brain hurt trying to understand it all!

8. 828980

I use photoshop to cut out the items I want, say the witch, or the zombie. They need to be saved with a transparent background. Put those with all the layers into After effects and you can make them move. Each piece is a seperate layer, otherwise when you move something the entire picture would be affected. There's puppett pin tool that will move say a leg position over time, frame position (can change over time) opacity,Just fascinating software! I used a couple video loops overlayed for the mist and the rotating jack o lantern face on the moon. My PC only has 4 gb of ram and handled that just fine, but I could see where for longer videos alot more would be needed! There's one for 3rd Nipple music - "Bobby" :D Now that one took a weekend to get together!

9. 828980

I should also mention there's sites like morgue file where you can legally download pictures for free for use in projects. They usually say free to use as long as you alter it from the original. And for stuff you just can't find, i make alot in photoshop, also I haven't experimented yet with programs like Google draw (freeware) and many more like Adobe illustrator (pay one) corel draw. many many more. Imagination is the limit and how much work/learning you're willing to do.

10. 1031567
    obmij : Mon 19th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Thanks so much! For ALL your comments.

I should've mentioned that I do have quite a bit of experience with Photoshop and Illustrator (so have quite a few original characters nearly ready to go).

This is all very appreciated. You know how it is....just need to hear other's perspectives and all.

I'm on her, your honor. ;)

All the best.

11. 994534
    Neomorpheus : Mon 19th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Yeah bro, first of all I'm having a hard time understanding why someone relatively new to music production needs a professional animation for one of their tracks, But that's your business and truthfully I'm not against anyone thinking big. But you have to be realistic. My suggestion would be to lower your expectations a bit, and since you do have some experience in Photoshop, take a look into a program called Blender. Its a pretty powerful animation program that's gaining quite a following. Its not something you'll master in a few hours, but if you have some artistic ability and some experience with computer graphics software you might be able to do it on your own. Nice thing about Blender is it's FREE. It also has a pretty decent support Forum. Good Luck!

http://www.blender.org/

12. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Mon 19th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I once dabbled in animation. This is about a full hours work in MS Paint and Windows Movie Maker. It's a shame you can't hear the audio, being a gif, which is dissapointing coz the gibberish and sound effects did make it kinda funny. Anyway: http://imgur.com/yUoPU2v

Posts 1 - 12 of 12

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.