Biggest Musical Pet Peeve

Posts 1 - 25 of 39
  1. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

What is the one thing that really gets under your skin when it comes to music? It can be anything music-related. Mine is listening to someone play a guitar that's even just a little bit out of tune. I don't know why, but it really, really makes me want to run over to the person playing - and not saying anything - just start tuning their guitar while they're playing and then walk away in an awkward fashion hahaha. Hasn't happened yet, though :P

2. 588276
    StaticNomad : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

You have opened up a can of potentially hateful worms here. Cue people posting endless bitches about things they don't hate.

Nothing instantly springs to mind as I tend to concentrate on the many things I love about music, in its many forms.

Aha - here's one:

Overuse of reverse cymbals pisses me off a lot. Such a gimmicky sound that gets less and less exciting and thrilling when overused. Especially when it's the exact same reverse cymbal sample repeated throughout a track.

I'm sure there are loads more but you did ask for one thing.

3. 782612
    40A : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Hearing the tail play at the beginning of a loop. Even if it's a perfect and seamless loop ...that tail is ruthless.

4. 172885
    Unknown User : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I'm not a fan of rap/hip-hop songs with cliche, simplistic and/or predictable rhymes. It just kills some of the fun of listening to a song when you can tell from the first line of that the next 30 seconds will be dedicated to a "why / try / eye / cry / fly / high" rhyme scheme.
    I would argue that's more a case of personal preference than outright hate though.

5. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Hardware with push-buttons instead of toggle switches for Power On. First thing to wear out and render something useless. I always leave the hardware in the "On" position and hook it to a surge-protecting power-strip. I'd rather spend 15 bucks on a new strip instead of replacing the power switch on my amp head.

6. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I agree with you on the amp head part, Evisma. And Nate, I agree with you on the rapping part. It seems that the joy of a rap song is not knowing what to expect. It's really neat when an artist can come up with some new and unexpected ways to tell a story or convey a message with lyrics. And Nomad, I remember I used to do that a lot when I first started off - using the same reverse cymbal sample. Ahhhhh the good old, ignorant, clueless, etc. etc., days of my beginnings as a producer haha.

7. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

It really depends on the genre, but I can't stand presets.
    It's ok to me if you're a keyboardist in a rock group or whatever but as soon as you enter the world of EDM it's a whole different story (which i'm not gonna go into explaining).

But yeah, if you're an electronica/EDM artist and I hear you using presets (even if you tweaked them slightly) I won't appreciate it as much as I would if you'd taken the time to develope your own sounds.

8. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

LivingInSilence:

I use sometimes only slightly tweaked presets all the time. Have you ever noticed?

Maybe you mean you'd notice if someone was doing it on gear you're familiar with. But, there's so much gear out there and therefore so many presets.

I like to think I combine my layering of slightly tweaked presets in unusual and interesting ways ie that's the end result. That's all that's important, isn't it?

How about that preset everyone uses known as 'the grand piano'. Sounds pretty much the same every time but people have managed to make some good and varied music with it. Rhodes is another in a similar category.

Maybe you're just talking about presets in the world of EDM.

Now I'm thinking Preset would be quite a good electronica artist name.

9. 1205128

As I said, "It really depends on the genre". I just feel like, if you're an EDM producer than, weather you like it or not, your also looked at as an "audio technician" in a way.

There is SO MUCH that synthesizers (etc.) can do so if you're making electronic music it's kind of expected that you make the most of those possibilites. So when I listen to an EDM track and hear a Nexus/Sylenth/whatever preset playing I kinda feel ripped-off. Probably more-so because I started off using vintage synths where presets aren't an option, so I know that creating the sounds for your music takes just as much skill (if not more) than actually using those sounds to compose a good piece of music.

But Rock, for example, focuses more on performance. This is why I wouldn't complain about someone like you using presets. Even if you're making a studio recording, that kind of music still revolves more around how the song is actually performed. For example, if I wanted a melody I can just sequence it and use MIDI to perform it for me, but you can't really do that with a guitar or a violin or a banjo etc.

So (going back to EDM) if people just sequence stuff AND use presets on top of that than what work is actually going into the song?

It's really my own opinion more than anything but it's a peeve nonetheless.

10. 841435
    ValveDriver : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

It always grinds me when a song starts out with some heavy-ass, distorted, crunchy tonnage filled metal riff, gets grooving like a mo-fo, and then this pussy little voice steps up and deflates the whole thing into a crybaby panzy track. More often than not, I don't get too excited when I hear a new tune. Mostly, I just anticipate suck.

11. 666289
    FreeRadical : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I hate it when singers go "woo whoa yeah yeah etc......"
    If you can't think of any proper lyrics then just shut up. It really winds me up.

12. 308224
    theHumps : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Fake sounding drums leave a bad taste in my mouth. May be the main reason I never got interested in electronic based music.

@ FR I'll apologize for my new track now before I post it. I think some of the greatest songs are songs with the catchiest ya,ya's, and oooo's. "She loves you yea, yea, yea!" by the Beatles is engrained in everyone's head. I think Little Steven's Underground Garage did a show all about those types of songs and how those catchy simple vocal phrases stay stuck in people's minds.

13. 666289

Give me fake sounding drums any day of the week over "ya ya's and ooohs" I guess it's all just a matter of personal taste. But moving on another thing i hate even more is autotune.

14. 1205128

I'm still yet to understand why some people find autotune appealing. No matter how bad you need vocals, I think it's best to leave them out than add autotuned vox.

It's kinda like building a brand new coffee table, but instead of going through the trouble of going down to the store and buying varnish, you instead just unzip and piss on it.

15. 666289

And it doesn't even work. If someone sings badly with autotune switched on, it still just sounds like a pile of out of tune shit.

16. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I'd have to say that my number one annoyance relating to music would be the use by so many people of the word "producer" when speaking about themselves. Are you doing a job of work, or are you messing about on a DAW? Please get it straight....

Record producer(from wiki):

"A record producer is an individual working within the music industry, whose job is to oversee and manage the recording (i.e. "production") of an artist's music. A producer has many roles that may include, but are not limited to, gathering ideas for the project, selecting songs and/or musicians, coaching the artist and musicians in the studio, controlling the recording sessions, and supervising the entire process through mixing and mastering. Producers also often take on a wider entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, contracts and negotiations."

Do you oversee and manage the recording of an artists music? If not, then you are the artist, not the producer. If you want to be a producer, go get a degree and then move to LA. No offence to anyone involved in this thread.

17. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I know you asked for one thing.... BUT...

The second biggest thing for me would be the term EDM. I look at the widespread use of this term as being caused by two things, the "music industry" attempting to lump all electronic music into one pile (just like what is done with rock music when there are many different things lumped into the rock title), and artists who are trying to convince themselves and everyone else that their music should be played by DJs in clubs. A person can dance to anything they want, and if it's electronic and they dance to it, doesn't that make it electronic dance music? (unless of course they are dancing to something electronic that isn't music?!?!)

18. 1414881

@FreeRadical - I totally agree on this one! It makes me cringe when I hear a song with bad autotune haha. Can really kill a song.

19. 1414881

Done right, autotune can sound neat. But poorly executed and it goes bad real fast. Real fast.

20. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Would definitely be the plethora of people making music in whatever fashion that know nothing about music theory.

21. 589130
    Unknown User : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

My car stereo is my biggest pet peeve. I can't get anything my way when I'm driving with my daughters. I enjoy my classic rock station and jazz station very much up until my they dictate the car stereo. They tell me, "it's too old", or "it sucks". I tell them, "you're too young and naive". It's all good laugh but there's a underlying truth behind my chuckle...hehe

22. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Haha! Similar problem as @PeteJonTabar. I'm only in my (very) early 20's but love listening to jazz, bebop, and have a huge obsession with electro-swing. (go check out "Clash" by Caravan Palace, brilliant song!).

But I feel awkward, ASHAMED EVEN to listen to it in public or even around friends because a lot of people my age don't seem to have an apreciation for music that ISN'T a clusterfuck of overproduced noises. They listen to whatever genre is considered "in" and if it's not than they automatically consider it as "bad music".

So yeah, that's a big pet-peeve. The way people treat music as a trend rather than a form of art.

23. 666289
    FreeRadical : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I'm laughing because i have the opposite problem. I'm 40 and i still love club music and people say "shouldn't you have grown out of that by now?" Not a chance! I still love it now as much as i did when i first heard it back in the late 80's.
    Rave to the grave!!!

24. 1414881
    BradoSanz : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Rave to the grave!!! Lol that was pretty funny! I do notice that people listen to the "trending" music and consider it "good" while anything is considered "obsolete" and thus disregarded. Though it is like a breath of fresh air when I meet another musician who shares my appreciation for all types of good music.

25. 666289
    FreeRadical : Sat 17th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I think most people round here are willing to step out of their comfort zones and check out genres they don't usually listen to which is one thing i love about this site. But another thing i hate is people who wear their baseball cap to the side. Not music related i know but since we're having a rant i figured i'd drop that one in. Wear your hat properly you bunch of cretins!!!

Posts 1 - 25 of 39

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.