Make A Track In The Style Of Another Looper

Posts 1 - 25 of 59
  1. 588276
    StaticNomad : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

This was suggested by Valvedriver when reviewing my track Valvedriven that is dedicated to him.

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/163181

I didn't actively try to make it sound like his music but it's come out with some definite similarities, hence the dedication.

You could just download someone's loops (eg Danke's) but I'm thinking you probably need to be a little cleverer and add a bit more.

Danke covers so many styles that it's hard to say exactly what his signature style is. I like to think the same goes for my music.

Here are some users and possible fun titles to get you going and hopefully inspire you:

Spivkurl - Kurls Spiv

Tumbleweed - Tumbling Weeds

FreeRadical - Slavishly Conservative/Brutally Radicalised

LivingInSilence - Dying Noisily/Born Screaming

EazyBeatz - Complexz Hitz

PlanetJazzBass - Asteroid Funk Accordion

MrFunktastic - Mrs JazzSpectacular

DesignedImpression - Random Reaction

Shatner - William

metaled - Plastic Edward

3rdNippleMusic - Second Testicle Painting

MrWolf14 - Lady Dawg

Danke - Thanks

StaticNomad - Housebound Wanderer/Electric Desert Dweller

I won't be participating as I kind of, unintentionally, already have. And I don't make soundlike stuff so my Valvedriven track is a bit of a one off.

Good luck though this is a tough challenge so I wouldn't be surprised if no one gives it a go.

I'm thinking a remix of someone else's track wouldn't exactly count but give it a go anyway if you want to.

Please post additional thoughts or actual completed tracks/works in progress on this thread. Where else?

2. 666289
    FreeRadical : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I think it's a bloody good idea but you're not wrong. We all have our own styles so to write one in someone elses is one heck of a challenge.
    But, are we allowed to use the "N" word? I always think a track is much better when "Nigel" is mentioned several times.

3. 588276

FreeRad: Yes, make a track dedicated to me in my signature style, whatever exactly that is, called Nigel The Housebound Wanderer.

Mention Nigel often and make sure you get in a healthy smattering of Swedish house loops (a big part of my classic sound).

Go!

4. 666289
    FreeRadical : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Your in luck. I just got paid so i shall be forking out my hard earned cash on some Swedish house loops any moment now. I have to admit i never realized that you actually used Swedish house loops but now you mention it i can see that's totally your style.
    It's a shame Jedward aren't members of looperman because that way i could emulate their style and just produce an absolute unlistenable pile of crap (although some peeps would argue that i already do that anyway)

5. 588276

FreeRad:

Oh yeah, those Swedish house loops are there - I just run them subtly underneath the other layers. Has more of a subliminal effect than anything else but still an important part of my overall sound.

If you want to do a track in my style, how about just getting some slide resonator guitar loops? I have seen dedicated sample packs containing just that.

Some funky banjo, some mid tempo chill grooves and also heavy guitar sections and you're halfway (?) there. But no dubstep! Or gabba!

Sorry to go on about my music but I happen to be pretty much the world's foremost expert on it. Well, me and Sting - the man can't get enough of it.

He's always bothering me for details on how this and that section were made, what my amp settings were and if he can do a guest vocal. I've recently employed a hot secretary just to deal with the Sting enquiries.

So, maybe the way to approach this is to try to get in some sounds that you feel are key parts of another Looper's style and make a track out of them. It won't necessarily sound like them but will be specifically inspired by them so should still be interesting. And then see if they hate it!

That, or quickly learn to play guitar like Tumbleweed as it would then be quite straightforward to make a Tumbling Weeds track.

6. 841435
    ValveDriver : Wed 14th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

I'm a give it a go!

7. 588276

Valvedriver:

What are you giving a go? Quickly learning Tumbleweed guitar, an Electric Bromad dedication track or something else?

Give us a clue...

You could, for instance, download some of Evisma's bass loops as a starting point for a track dedicated to him...

8. 841435
    ValveDriver : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

All of the above.
    Only instead of all of that, I'm doing a didgereedubstep polkawalz Jazz fusion in the style of a very unlikely choice.

I would love to do a return dedication, but honestly, I ain't got that kind of funk in me, bronie. I gotta go with someone I can closer relate to in a musical sense, ya dig?

9. 782612
    40A : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

How'd you forget M2Go, Shortbus and myself (mostly myself). On behalf of the incredibly gifted and absolutely shameless composers of looperman secret society I'll overlook this inconsideration just this once and assume it was user error.

-does that "i got my eyes on you" hand finger gesture-

10. 588276
    StaticNomad : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

40A:

OK, if you're feeling so neglected, how about these:

40A - 73Z or 9,000 Years Too Young (comment left by 40A to Evisma in a thread - "You're 900 years too young")

Minor2Go - Major To Stay

ShortBusMusic - Longboat Finger Clicks

Also, there are shitloads of users I didn't mention. I thought coming up with 14 song titles was a pretty decent effort. They're only silly suggestions.

Finally, our little secret society is the worst secret society going.

We've only had one meeting and the details are all public. You happen to be reading them.

11. 588276

Valvedriver:

OK, I got too much bronyfunk for you, bro. Yet here's a dark, jazz fusion progressing to mental d'n'b track of mine that I don't think is at all funky:

Think Big Feel Small

https://www.looperman.com/tracks/detail/152680

Evisma ain't that funky so that vibe might be closer to what's comfortable for you.

While we're talking didgereedubstep, a genre title I like, I have another suggestion for you:

A merger of grindcore and dubstep - grubstep. Or grindstep but the grub version is more fun.

I think you could maybe manage a grubstep polkawaltz in the style of Evisma.

No doubt you'll come up with something unusual.

12. 782612

Probably one of my better insults.

13. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

"Probably one of my better insults."

Indeed. Then I made fun of your arrogance and declared everything you were saying as "delusional puffery", and shot down everything you had said,.... and then there was silence...........

Man,.... now I gotta find that thread. I forgot what the topic of it was.

"grubstep polkawaltz in the style of Evisma"

I would LOVE to hear this

14. 1205128
    LivingInSilence : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

This is a really cool idea!

Got a lot on my plate at the moment but once that's in my metaphorical stomach I'll give this a shot.

Thinking of doing something in the style of one mr "15ludwicke". Just need to download nexus and make a little pizzicato synth, throw in some white noise, a piano loop by 'Mr Funktastic', and dig out my guitar and find a nice potato to record it with.

Jks Rico i'm only kidding. Not really, but yeah.

15. 951439
    Evisma : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

https://www.looperman.com/forum/thread/182335/need-some-shouts

It's just good stuff. Both sides.

16. 588276

Evisma and 40A could return to that ridiculous Need Some Shouts thread to continue making sweet, argumentative love. They might find out if Evisma really is 9,000 Years Too Young for 40A.

That would leave this thread for all the grubstep polkawaltz tracks that are bound to start rolling in anytime now...

17. 782612

"and shot down everything you had said,.... and then there was silence..........."

I leave threads that turn into what's going to essentially be a piss measuring contest. I don't need to measure my piss with anyone (on this site at least).

No need to get emotional about it. I'd still adopt you, evisma.

18. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Static Nomad, great idea! Why didn't I think of this. Suggestion to the peeps: Put my name in and then "Funk" for the genre. Thanks Nomad!

19. 1231236
    joecramer : Thu 15th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

That sounds in a way funny but in an other way it will be not easy to do (maybe thats only for me so) cause if i start makeing a new song, i always try to do something new and sure in a difrent style and compleete difrent to all i done before .... just doing this time something real cool that sounds better then befor and oneone will believe that i done a cool song like that :)
    but in the end it sounds like something that i made.
    So i believe right now that there will be never a song outside from me that dosend sounded like a song from me.

So thats a good reason to give it a try.

Just a question - would it be ok to take some Danke loops to make a FR track, or else? And can the track sound like ANY other looper from looperman or only the few "given ones"?

And by the way - If someone would like to do a track in the style like me :) , just take ANY samples you found out there and you have all you need.

20. 588276
    StaticNomad : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Joecramer:

Hi. Of course you can do it in the style of anyone else on the site.

I only mentioned those 14 members and possible song titles for a bit of a laugh and potential inspiration. Sorry if I didn't make that clear.

I agree that it's quite a tough challenge. I also don't make anything in the style of anyone else at all. But the track I was working on reminded me in parts of Valvedriver so I thought I would specifically dedicate it to him. I didn't do anything to try to sound like his music - that's just the way it came out. He approves so everything is fine.

"i always try to do something new and sure in a difrent style and compleete difrent to all i done before"

That's always exactly what I do. Of course it's always going to come out sounding quite a bit like parts of some of my other tracks but I hope to get at least a few new things in every track I make.

"would it be ok to take some Danke loops to make a FR track, or else?"

You can do anything you like! No rules. I just thought it might be a fun way to pay tribute to other artists on here. Especially the ones you like!

Maybe someone will try to make a track in the style of someone else but the end result is not really like them. Doesn't matter if you end up with something interesting. Post it here anyway for us to hear. So, you might say:

"I tried to make this track in the style of MrFunktastic but I don't think it really sounds like him but I like it anyway and it's something a bit different for me. What does everyone here think?"

21. 588276

MrFunktastic:

"Why didn't I think of this."

I don't know but I also didn't come up with it. It was Valvedriver's idea so I decided to create this thread.

I'm quite keen on Mrs JazzSpectacular, the title I suggested for a tribute track to you. Maybe you could do a masssive, bombastic, spectacular jazz track as a tribute to the mother of your children. No idea if that appeals to you - just an idea.

22. 841435
    ValveDriver : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

It's supposed to be a bit more challenging. The point of this is to really force you to listen carefully to a looper who's music you really respect, and attempt to capture their essence in your own original piece. It doesn't have to sound exactly like their work, but it should at least (to the best of your abilities) resemble in some manner. Maybe put in the track description a brief explanation as to how you were influenced.

Does that sound about right, Static?

23. 851137
    crucethus : Fri 16th Jan 2015 : 7 years ago

Maybe someday I'll Try a Crumatic Cromad piece. Maybe not.
    Time will tell eh??

24. 588276

Valvedriver:

Yeah, you've summed it up pretty well. There are loads of ways to do it so no real rules - anything goes. I guess it's just a suggestion for a positive way of celebrating some of the good music made round here.

Or you can do a tribute to stuff you don't like, if you really feel like it though I'm not quite sure why anyone would want to do that. Unless they were some sort of musical troll or wind up merchant.

You could just include one element of someone else's work and go from there.

I've been influenced by Evisma's bass layering and have got loads of layered bass guitars in a current track I'm really struggling with. However, it sounds nothing like his music due to all of the other elements I've stuck in.

It's more in the far out chill jazz hip hop sort of genre so he probably won't even like it. Thus I won't be calling it Evismaed and won't be dedicating it to him.

25. 588276

Crucethus:

Yes, do a funky little Crumatic Cromad number. Make it mad, get in some chromatic progressions and Crubar in some other weird and cool elements and you may be onto a winner.

Time may tell but it doesn't always. For instance, if time travel is real, you may have already made your Crumatic Cromad in your teenage years but since lost the master tapes. If so, maybe I will buy them in an auction and upload the track here.

Time will tell eh??

Posts 1 - 25 of 59

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.