What Are The Chances Of Banning People That Use The N Word

Posts 1 - 25 of 55
  1. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

Well here we are in this great musical place called Looperman and here we are yet again seeing the reappearance of young punks using the N word to litter their forum posts..they think it's cool and hip because everyone uses it in their peer group..and everyone else on their immediate intelligence quotient I dare say.I grew up to see Martin Luther King become one of the great heroes of the age and not to see his vision trampled into the ground by a derogatory word used by people that don't even understand it's implications....Well what are we going to do about it?..are we going to just roll over and let the uneducated hold sway or are we going to take a stand and not be dragged down to their level.

2. 951439
    Evisma : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

" roll over and let the uneducated hold sway "

Idiots reproduce sooner and in higher numbers compared to more intelligent people,... so it will be an uphill battle.

Gotta say, if you take the stand-up of Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy, for example, they used the word like it was nothing.

Don't know. Not my word. Those who own it may do what they want with it.

I just know that little white punk-asses with a crooked cap, big cheap colored 80's style sunglasses, no shirt, cargo pants and holding an energy-drink talking about "swag" need to keep the N word out of their steadily decreasing vocabulary, and stick to turning numb3r5 int0 1etter5 and making "Future Words" out of them.

And quit with all the damn LOL'ing! You're not really laughing when you typed it there, all by yourself! KILLS me!

Good topic,... won't be inflammatory at all.

3. 111346

I'm going to do a lot of replying in this thread,something I don't usually do but the principal involved here demands it...Nobody owns a word,there are only those that comprehend words and those that don't.

4. 782612
    40A : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

This will only end well.

-popcorn-

5. 1074070
    DJSLTUK : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I have a question which somewhat falls into this post and is directed to the new generations???

Have you ever written a letter and sent it to someone and no I don't mean email,sms or any of the modern services, I mean pen to paper - envelope and posted and sent...

Do they still teach how to write a letter correctly in English lessons.....probably not.

So if wanting the same generation to stop saying the F word or N word or any of the words that MTV and most social networking platforms deem acceptable in todays language then....you get my vote....however us oldies are some of the last pen to paper students that are still roaming the planet....

Great thread.....look forward to the outbursts....

DJ-SLT-UK

6. 111346

And while I'm at it,keep this on topic...this is about what happens on Looperman nowhere else,I couldn't give a toss what fools do in their spare time.

7. 666289
    FreeRadical : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I read your post and it made me think of this..............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3PJF0YE-x4

8. 588276
    StaticNomad : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

Here's a controversial point:

As we're talking about banning words/people who use certain words and the context in which they're used and who's offended and so on, wouldn't it make sense for people who identify as actual punks to object to the derogatory usage of the word above as in "young punks"?

I guess it was probably a derogatory term before it became adopted by a musical movement but the question still stands.

And I'm not into banning most things but I'm hoping, one day, for an end to the childish and generally nonsensical use of a certain acronym that apparently conveys the idea that the person using it is "laughing out loud" (I doubt they are).

That really winds me up and offends me as an adult though I've had to get used to it after reading it used about a million times in the last few years.

There are a whole load of other internet phrases and words that also really wind me up and sort of offend me though I appreciate that they don't have the same roots or history as The N Word - that word that's so evil it must never be written or spoken. You can't even say it in conversation in case someone walking by only hears it (with no context) and thinks you must be a hardcore racist.

9. 111346

You can spin it anyway you like but at the end of the day it's all about showing some respect when your posting in the forums here,Looperman is accessed by a very large cross section of cultures of all ages,and I'm buggered if I'll stand by and say nothing about a growing disregard for common courtesy by a group of people that can't even respect themselves let alone anyone else..punks they are and punks they'll bloody well remain.

10. 1275567
    donfons : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

@Evisma: "Gotta say, if you take the stand-up of Richard Pryor and Eddie Murphy, for example, they used the word like it was nothing."

I recently had a talk with a college professor of mine and I had questioned him on a similar platform of which Planetjazzbass has approached us all today (more geared toward usage of the word in my lyrics, but that's neither here nor there). He shared with me a story of Richard Pryor's journey to Africa in which, upon returning, basically renounced all of his uses of the word in every endeavor, both future and prior (couldn't resist).

I can't speak for looperman or whatever actions he will decide to implement however, in a case of the word, I feel as though Planetjazzbass has asked a very intriguing question (and largely relevant in today's events).

That said, I don't think we should ban folks based on usage of the word (or at least for a first infraction, after repeat incidents it's open season on your membership). My reasoning is two-fold:

- People have to have an opportunity to learn from their mistakes.

- Automatic banning will breed resentment and lead to ramifications in the long run.

I think as a populace, we have to do our part in educating the younger demographic to understand what implications come with even uttering the word (both online and off). The only way to do that is to have an understanding of the word and the weight that it carries (and consciously choosing not to say/type/rap/sing it). I'm not convinced that banning people will do that.

11. 951439

"Nobody owns a word"

True. However, when a whole race of people says it can't be used because "That's our word", it leads me to grant the idea of ownership.

I don't want the word, though I've heard it meant "hard working person" before it became derogatory. I've been called worse.

I don't agree with it being used the way it gets used, or at all, but I'm all for freedom of speech and can't stand to be hypocritical by making exceptions.

It's ignorant and disrespectful, but the freedom to say what you want is far more important, and that includes hearing things we don't like or agree with.

I agree with your initial post, but people will say what they want, and have the right,... though they're wrong.

12. 186161
    Spivkurl : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I'm hesitant to get involved in this discussion at all, but here goes...

I am pretty comfortable in the fact that the people that the word was used against have reclaimed it as their own. As long as it's not used in a racist manner, then I have no problem with it. Are caucasian (or other races of) people offended by this, and could anyone clarify as to why? A word only has power that people give it, and I see the way people speak as "taking the power back." Are you offended by things like "whitey" or "white trash?" I'm white as far as I know, and am not offended by people using these words. Aside from this, I have to wonder who the real oppressed minorities are these days.

13. 1357918
    djtrinity123 : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I'm a new Member to the Looperman Community and I'm also only 15!

At my school I hear the N word all the time used left and right and I want to punch the person in the face..... The "New Age" term is getting out of hand! Just like bae and other dumb pointless words. I saw someone commented on here wondering if English class's still teach how to write and letter and the answer is no! But I have taken a college level business class that taught me.

14. 1357918
    djtrinity123 : Mon 12th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I use looperman as a professional site to help further my music career and help build a fan base! I try to be the most professional that I can be, But if you email me or add me on facebook I treat you like a friend and lay back a bit on the spelling and grammar.

15. 951439

"Do they still teach how to write a letter correctly in English lessons"

Here, learning cursive has been replaced with learning computer code. The U.S. Postal Service has been closing A LOT of their offices.

"it's all about showing some respect when you"rE posting in the forums here"

I agree with that, and things have DEFINITELY been removed from this site that were less hurtful and stigmatized than the N word.

Since free speech isn't really at play here on Looperman, and we're asked to self-censor, then why not ban it? May be because it opens a whole can of worms in the "What to censor" area. Can someone still say Fag? Cracker? Wet-Back? Slope? Dingo?

I believe the violence in our culture is more troubling than a huge group of idiots degrading themselves and others with words. The racism behind the word is the problem.

I believe Carlin said something like, "The word is harmless, it's the racist asshole saying it that you need to worry about."

It's the hate that is the problem. The word, sadly, has become benign.

Again, just my opinion.

16. 111346

I agree,no punitive restrictions on the N word should automatically ban anyone without fair and sensible warnings first (if and when any restrictions were to be implemented that is)everybody is entitled to an opinion and there's a lot of food for thought here,I like to see some of the people that actually use the N word speak up and attempt to justify their position instead of skulking around in the rapper wanted threads.

17. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

This is a problem with more then 2 sides .....
    First of all - young punks or lets say young guns or just young people just love to be incorect . its cool to be - thats it.
    If you say something like - dont bring mr king to rotate in his grave - then they think and maybe say to you - "fu..." you man, you dont understand nothing bout nothing and think you are a cool one. Shooting with words around against words.
    second is that peoples lie. A friend of me, he´s a dark colored human from south america, with grand grandpa from africa. Others say he´s black. And he told me - Joe, it´s no thing at all for me if a man says - hey Nword - and he means - Hey cool guy/friend ... - then all is good. What he realy dont like is a - Hey colored human with a migration background .... - cause it means mostly - hey Nword...
    third is - if you ban people, you lost conection to them. If you have no conection to them, you cant do any to change something........

I have no probs with - send them to the dessert.
    But i am sure you will not get what you hope to get.
    They will not change there words without a good reason and getting baned is for sure more like a joke then a good reason .......

I wonder when the next ask - Is it realy ok that some of this old rock farts write something like - holy shit - ? cause it´s not ok to blame the lord bla bla ..... :)

18. 1231236
    joecramer : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

A few years ago, there you could get banned in may german forums for the real real real bad D word !!!!!!
    You wonder what it is? This D word was so bad and evil that young children shouldnd read it :) And realy realy lotz of people wrote then D*** cause they dont wantet to get banned. But all was just a few letters and a game. DOOM

19. 630386
    JoeFunktastic : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

Dave, very controversial topic but in principle I agree with you. It's one of the most polarizing words of our time. But what you are asking is for the N-word rappers to defend themselves, not likely. It would pretty much amount to them putting their necks on the proverbial butcher's block by defending something which in civilized circles is contemptible, shameful, vulgar, and reprehensible. My high school son says he hears the n-word all the time and claims it's a way of saying "homie." I unequivocally reject that reasoning because it has no commonsense root basis or foundation.

As to those who should be banned. This isn't anything new. Shan walks a fine line on censorship, but he has an excellent foundation of ethics and fairness to his members I have noticed over the years and does not tolerate offensive behavior in the least bit, believe that! Even battle rap is banned on this site. Battle rap typically attacks, marginalizes or otherwise puts people down personally.

But one thing is certain, Rev., Dr., Martin Luther King Jr. would solemnly disavow the n-word usage among blacks today if he was alive today. The equivalent word of his time was blacks were called "colored" or "coloured" people. He pretty much single-handedly erased that indignity from blacks here. I am sure he'd be attacking the n-word to get rid of it too!

20. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

Well for myself, as an African, that word means very little. Especially when songs like this are so mainstream:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l7J1i1OkKs

I just wonder though, if it isn't racist (which it apparently isn't unless someone who isn't black says it), then you'd be banning people for using their "slang". As someone already pointed out, it's almost always used as a replacement for "homie", "brother", "clique". I don't see why that would offend. Especially since it isn't directed at you.

What happened to freedom of speech? Seems daft to banned for that.

21. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

How old are you kid?..if your basing your whole rational on whether something's mainstream or not and using LilWayne and co. as examples of acceptable behaviour I feel sorry for you,my advice is do some research on African culture and it's subjugation by the western world then come back to the table.

22. 490439
    ZeeHipHop : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

Hahahahahaha, kid? Nice one. That just made my day. Would you have preferred if I used an Ice-T song to illustrate that the word is obviously being used so casually as to strip it of its racist and prejudicial undertones, much the same way homosexuals have reclaimed slurs such as fags or queers.

Keep enjoying your unnecessary butthurt. You're missing my point. The use of the word over the literal meaning. Guns 'n Roses did it wrong (perhaps that's something more up your alley) as that was hate.

Side note: I used that example because I don't know of any song that uses the word more. No idea what age has to do with it? You own a radio, don't you?

23. 186161
    Spivkurl : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

I think Zee has it right here, and the homosexual slang is definitely a related and similar situation. If something isn't directed towards another in an insulting or degrading way, then it shouldn't really offend anyone.

24. 1275567
    donfons : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

@ZeeHipHop: "I just wonder though, if it isn't racist (which it apparently isn't unless someone who isn't black says it), then you'd be banning people for using their "slang". As someone already pointed out, it's almost always used as a replacement for "homie", "brother", "clique". I don't see why that would offend. Especially since it isn't directed at you."

I've got a question. Instead of saying friend, homey, brother, bro, dude, my Ace, my A1, right hand, the clique, the squad, the team, the unit or any other term for collective friendship, why is it the we (as in black people who use it) so enamored with the term?

I would sincerely like a response. Please consider your answer before you respond with the following (and not just Zee but anyone who feels this is their train of thought):

- It's being reclaimed by those who were/are oppressed:

Honorable yet foolish. You don't hear Jewish people running around calling each other kikes in their day to day. Neither do you hear American Indians referring to each other as redskins. As noble as the intention is of wanting to reclaim it's meaning, the act falls on deaf ears (especially to those who suffered on the receiving end of the word for 400+ years).

- It shows how creative/resilient we are as a people:

I couldn't tell you the amount of times I've heard this defense and found it to reek of ignorance. In addition to the words mentioned above, there are a myriad of others that could very well be used in its place. Or better yet, create one that will ultimately replace it.

- It means King. I'm actually calling my people royalty:

Correction. The word Negus (nigūś = knee-gus) refers to a King or Sovereign in the historic Ethiopian language. Educate yourself and pronounce properly if you must use it for whatever reason. However, be forewarned, that people within earshot of conversation or whoever's listening to your music will probably misinterpret what you're trying to say.

That said, people do have free speech and can afford to say whatever they may please. I urge you to remember, just because you can afford to do something does not necessarily mean you must buy it.

25. 558862
    Killumineye : Tue 13th Jan 2015 : 4 years ago

You can't educate the stupid, so I think your attempt is unfortunately in vain . People who decide to point at others difference's have 3 fingers pointing at themselves. I have also seen intelligent people try to rationalise with these people and they fell on deaf ears . Racism bigotry homophobia have no place in music so they and there music deserve the same ignorance .

Posts 1 - 25 of 55

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads