Help Programming Midi Drums

Posts 1 - 3 of 3
  1. 950526
    RapperCAS : Mon 29th Dec 2014 : 7 years ago

is it possible to play snare rolls and drum fills on a midi drum pad? since you're using your fingers to tap on the pads? I'm a beginner at making beats. i'm asking because i have trouble doing it and when i make beats, i wanna be able to signal the next part of the song (for example, the chorus or hook) when i make the beat. if i'm not mistaken, (correct me if im wrong) people use fills and snare rolls to signal the next part of a song right? Like i said, i'm a beginner so i'm kind of clueless.

2. 951439
    Evisma : Mon 29th Dec 2014 : 7 years ago

"if i'm not mistaken, (correct me if im wrong) people use fills and snare rolls to signal the next part of a song right?"

Sort of. Rolls and fills are used as transitions and highlights, but can really be put anywhere as accents to accentuate moments and to punctuate parts.

Rolls are pretty hard to get a clean sound with finger pads. Quality MPC pads will help, but you will still probably have to go in with the good old mouse and fix timing.

There are lots of drum fill loops here that would be great inspiration and learning tools. Getting a feeling for improvised fills will probably be your best friend in the situation you speak of. Download some drum fills and practice reproducing them with your finger pads.

I've got a Akai Pro MAX25 with really good quality pads, but they can only process so fast and accurate. Good pads will still not read every touch and tap you make, so really fast rolls are probably better done with the mouse or a large drum trigger pad that you can use sticks on.

Hope this helps!

Evan

3. 342904
    breo : Thu 5th Mar 2015 : 7 years ago

Hi cas

If you play drums maybe worth while investing in some real midi drum pads.
    That way you play with real sticks and stuff. Bonus is you can choose from hundreds of midi kits.

If your not a drummer. I think the only way to get a good sounding roll is to tweak the drums you record with the key editor. Or the drum editor. Depending on what DAW your using.

Tip volume and volocity is the trick to getting you rolls sounding right.

Posts 1 - 3 of 3

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.