The Rise And Fall Of Music Collections

Posts 1 - 8 of 8
  1. 311209
    ShurelyTemper : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Howdy fellow loopers,

What I'm talking about is will my/our hard copy music collection ever be worth what I/us (or in part of my case, was given), paid for it, in the future? I have a large collection of Records, CD's & tape cassette's and it's so large it consumes one whole room in my apartment. I considered selling at one point but was offered peanuts for most of it. But now LP's are back and they are commanding good prices. I was given my parents 50's & 60's collection and amassed my own from the 70's, 80's & 90's with the bulk coming from working for some indie labels in the 90's. There are classics of great interest in amongst them. Would you sell, have you sold, and did you regret it? what record would you never sell? And is digital music collections even more worthless?

2. 828980
    Burtsbluesboxes : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

There will always be the die hards that prefer vinyl records, cd's ect. but I think the industry as a whole is going digital. I used to have a large cassette tape collection, then cds, now I have all my music digital. Less space, easier access, ect ect. So I don't think our hard copy collection will ever be worth their original value. Maybe some albums,artists may be worth more to a collector, but I think as a whole, no.

3. 1231236
    joecramer : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

It´s kind of funny but a lot of the people who have "good" collections, of many LP´s and CD´s, have ALL there music ALSO on digital mediums.

You are a fan? you want to get some special! .....
    You wanna listen music? go digital :)

I think thats the way it works today most.

I have some cool LP´s and i take them in my hand and look at them. Then go to youtube or else, search, mostly found (it´sextremly what kind of music there is outside already) something and start listen ..... better dont touch this cool LP :)

LP and or CD collections are not anymore - something nice with music on - they are just only something nice

4. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

I'm like you I have a pretty extensive record collection,I wouldn't sell it as it has sentimental value to me...I also have an extensive reel to reel tape collection which I listen to occasionally on my Tandberg machine....music collections aren't really worth anything these days like they used to,the internet has killed that off where everyone downloads for nothing......I would imagine certain records in pristine condition are still highly valuable on the collectors market though.

5. 600461
    visionarysoundsystem : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

I have to own up that my vinyl & tape collection is now stored safely in my loft. I spent many, many hours copying some of it (favorites)to digital and done away with the "Hi-Fi" stereo system etc and can now access it on a hard drive easily and in good audio playback. If more random tracks creep into my head & I want to listen them I can usually find them to listen to on sites like you tube. But I would never sell the original recordings I hold . . . .

6. 612029
    Unknown User : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

There's something very special about taking a vynal LP out of a sleeve and listening to it. I can remember standing outside HMV records in the early 80'S really excited with my mates the first day of release of Regatta De Blanc by the Police. Handing over our hard earned cash and rushing home for the first listen..

I guess things are so much better now days, just a quick click and hay presto your on Spotify one second later listening to whatever for free wow.. I guess soon things will get even better and we will be able to download a personality, hopefully soon we can just sit infront of the screen in a total vegative state talking to digital make believe friends, constantly tapping our little screens, living our digital lives.. :) Ha Ha

7. 498019
    Tumbleweed : Fri 14th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

dont know whats happening at your place guys...but vinyl is the new "Must have" for a lot of people around here...not just the new releases that some artists are putting out or re-releasing, but especially the classics/originals...I have a few hundred vinyl LPs and some 45s, cassettes etc in a pile of boxes out in the garage...I had an extra copy of "The Wall"...Floyds double album ...advertized it on the local internet site & had people bidding against each other to buy it....go figure...all hard copy delivery is on the way out so maybe they are making a good investment from a collectors point of view......Ed

8. 186161
    Spivkurl : Fri 14th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

"And is digital music collections even more worthless?" --- I really don't understand what you mean by this question. Are you speaking of the piles of mp3's we all have on our harddrives, or of compact discs? Two completely different things there. MP3's are pretty much valueless, and if someone buys them, they are part of the problem facing musicians these days. Compact discs in general sound very good, and if taken care of can last a long time. I still have working CD's from like 25 years ago.

As far as tapes and vinyl goes, I will never sell any of mine. They are worth far more to me than the minimal cash compensation, both for the music contained there, and for sentimental value. I feel like cassettes are worth more to me than anyone else in my area. They go for 25 cents at salvation army now, even for ones that have never been opened.

We don't even have a record store in this town anymore, and that is really sad. I used to love just stopping in to look at what was around.

Posts 1 - 8 of 8

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads