Serious Issue In Music Industry

Posts 1 - 9 of 9
  1. 1021431
    GoldenOokami : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

My fellow musicians, producers, listeners, but more importantly, loopers...

We have a very serious problem, and I see it becoming more and more prominent as the days come. Music is becoming more negative-based then positive. It's very seldom that I will hear a song on the radio which benefits kids, women, and just human beings in general.

All that is played these days, is sex, drugs, killing, and much more things that are very harmful to our youth. As a 17 year old black male, I'm fortunate to have a different mentality than most that is around my age, and background. It troubles me that the black communities, as well as the white, Hispanic...hell, all communities are being heavily effected by today's music.

I know that these certain themes are selling, but we can't just leave it be, then be completely shocked when we hear someone has acted upon what he/she hears. What should we do, fellow loopers? I am more than willing to fight against the negative part of the music industry, but I'll need help.\

We all have incredible tracks. All of us. All of us have potential on changing the common sound and the normal message.

What are you all's thoughts on this?

2. 1277953
    RichKid : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

There has always been music that sends a good and bad message. I listened to both when I was younger. Throughout the years music changes but its motives are still the same. Music is more readily available to kids than it used to be but artists still write about the same things because its easy. A good writer is hard to come by. Now as for what we can do to make music have a positive impact on children and families. We would need to have a well written easily understandable song with a non- annoying gets stuck in your head song. The song would be send to radio stations everywhere and paid to be played. You get top hits etc. I act like this is easy to get a top song but if you get it played 10000 times a week on every radio station in a country you will influence every single kid who has to listen to the radio. The kids will go home and look them up. This is an outrageous example but someone would have to make sure there is a good message and positive out come of the song

3. 111346
    Planetjazzbass : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Serious issues you say..there's absolutely no problems within jazz,classical,folk,rock and dozens of other genres closely associated with playing musicians....let me guess your talking about one style in particular right,HipHop or shall we say 'Urban'music....GoldenOokami while I applaud your concerns I think this just might be a subject for the too hard basket,while I'm quite capable of discussing things in a rational manner I doubt certain sections within this site can being part of the problem in question,are we going to dissect HipHop and if we are the American racial divide and disgruntlement inherent within that culture,are we going to scrutinise the appalling bastardisation of amongst other things Martin Luther's dream?..not until this generation learns some modicum of respect and America gets some sane firearms legislation will anything change,obviously this isn't just an American problem,but seeing as it's the main exporter of Urban music it's only fair to start there...............

4. 268784
    3n0 : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

i think one of the problems is that parents lost their role as primary educators of their children thanks to media.

5. 691199
    Modnex : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Most artist make music that is closely relevant to their lives or to their listener's lives. Which is the reason why sex, drugs, and money are usually the main 3 subjects talked about, in music these days. The reason for this is because these 3 are also the main subjects most people think and care about on a daily bases.

In order to change all of the negativity in the music world, we will first have to start, by changing the world as a whole. Rather we want to admit to it or not, it's not the media or the artist that is responsible for all of the negativity in the music world, but the people who listens to it.

Artist and the media are people pleasers! Their sole purpose, is to please people with music. It's the PEOPLE who decide what song gets a spot in the top 5 music charts. It's the PEOPLE who decide which artist becomes a legendary/popular artist and which artist never amounts to anything. It's the PEOPLE who decide what is good music and what is not. The only reason violence is so popular in music these days is because that is what the people clearly like. If they didn't like it, they wouldn't buy the albums, they wouldn't go to the concerts and they wouldn't listen to the song on the radio!

6. 186161
    Spivkurl : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Everyone has made good points, so I'll keep it quick... People are writing about these things because it is *reality*... It's not just hip hop, but everywhere you look. The majority of the population is on drugs (not considering pharmas separate here, because why would you?). We're constantly at war, usually in several places at once... that equals inherent violence. People are obsessed with sex, which is of course part of the overpopulation problem. All of these things are REAL. If you "write what you know" and you are reasonably conscious, then this would be the result. I say it's not just in music, because most of the new movies and TV shows I have tried to watch are just so ridiculous and embarrassing that I turn them off right away... the same stuff - violence, drugs, sex... oh yeah and CGI which is better than violence but not as good as drugs and sex... heh. This is just what's going on right now. I had to wait over an hour for a taxi a couple days ago, and of course I get in and try to figure out what that familiar smell is. About half way home I realize that it's freshly smoked crack. I'm just glad he cracked a window too. Doesn't mean I'll write a song about it, but this is the shit we deal with.

7. 311209
    ShurelyTemper : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Well said young man, you are wise and rare. I stopped listening to music with lyrics long ago. Mostly as they meant nothing to me but very much because it was the same regurgitated nonsense from the female artists and the increasingly pointless bravado and macho nonsense from the male artists. But its a oddly not new. Bob Dylan sang about drugs as did the Beatles, and many many more big names from the past, even country music used to have songs about gunfights, lol. Although there are many artists who don't sing about any of that stuff like Cold Play or Radiohead. If it's popular chart style music you wish to alter attitudes within then you either have to make a good alternative or go political. Tuff journey either way, good luck with it tho I hope you succeed.

8. 1243210
    Gore33 : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

@ShurelyTemper I have suddenly 100% the same opinion. Some of the songs are good, some of them aren't... I don't know anything about Pop music because I don't listen to it but I absolutely hate Martin Garrix because of the infamous Big Room, everyone is posting it on YouTube and it's painful to hear... also it's sad when artists used to be great then they disband or do "not-so good" songs, biggest examples is Skrillex or Knife Party... but I'm not glossing like an idiot here about EDM, but I so far like this topic.

9. 1021431
    GoldenOokami : Thu 13th Nov 2014 : 5 years ago

Very good and respected replies from you all. I suppose it's just troubling knowing that the high thing in demand is killing our youths. I'm predicting by the time I have a child, (let's say around 2025), there won't be any inference needed within lyrics. I wouldn't want my son to grow up, listening to music when I'm not around, thinking it's alright to hit it up with a new chick. And I definetely don't want my daughter to be comfortable with a dude calling her a bitch or having sex with her as he pleases. I'm fully convinced lyrics will preach to kill, harm, sleep with anything that moves. Although it's very prominent in today's hiphop/rap, it's also within country and rock. Not as much, yes, but it still exists in those respective genres. Nevertheless, I am very glad you all spoke to me about this. Given that I'm the only music-type in the family, nobody else would be able to completely understand where I came from with this. So thank you all.

~Ookami

Posts 1 - 9 of 9

! You need to Log In or Register to post here.

From The Forums
Watched Forum Threads